• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5x47 w/ 7828ssc

Hondo64d

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
The Big Country
More results from 7828ssc. I'm finding this powder to be a very viable option in the x47 with 140gr and heavier bullets. My rifle has a .167 freebore which puts a 140gr hybrid far enough up the neck when touching the lands to leave plenty enough room for a slower burning powder. Results are in the attached picture. Good accuracy and good SDs. These are five shot groups. Haven't even played with seating depth yet. Also going to try 42.4gr.

IMG_1924_zps4mt2qaun.jpg

Have also tried it with the 147gr ELDs and got pretty good velocity (2740) and decent accuracy. That's a ten shot group.

IMG_0262_zpssgvsytwx.jpg

John

Don't let too many people know how good that powder works, I like being able to buy some whenever I want.

One of the appealing parts. Seems like 7828ssc is nearly always available. I have an 8 pound jug and don't have a .270 in the house any more so thought I'd play with it in the x47 and see what would happen. Works good, so might as well use it.

John

interesting I'm thinking of trying a similar scaled down approach with 123scenar, my 6.5x47 has a .250 freebore my 123 scenars to lands OAL measure 2.803!!!! I haven't got quickload to measure load density but from my observations with 36.4 grains of varget there still stacks of room left there. Dont really want to load too much varget in there thinking of trying something maybe even slightly slower than 4350 maybe H4831 and filled right up with the 123 scenars. Hondo64d any thoughts on what powder you would try with my situation here??

Last edited:
interesting I'm thinking of trying a similar scaled down approach with 123scenar, my 6.5x47 has a .250 freebore my 123 scenars to lands OAL measure 2.803!!!! I haven't got quickload to measure load density but from my observations with 36.4 grains of varget there still stacks of room left there. Dont really want to load too much varget in there thinking of trying something maybe even slightly slower than 4350 maybe H4831 and filled right up with the 123 scenars. Hondo64d any thoughts on what powder you would try with my situation here??

You should be able to get close to 38gr Varget before running into pressure with the 123. I've used 38gr Varget behind 130gr VLDs with no issue. I'm sure H4350 would work. I've read of lots of folks using that combo. It wouldn't hurt to try H4831sc either. The worst that would happen is not getting the velocity you want before running out of case capacity.

John

Last edited: