• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5X55 or 30.06 Ackley Improved?

TARFU

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
PA
I'm getting ready to purchase parts for my R700 LA build (currently a old 30.06 sporter ADL) and was set on chambering 6.5X55. However, I've been told I could stay with 30.06 or even go 30.06 AI. The advange for me is that I already load the .06 and have dies, components, surplus HXP, etc. The gun will be use for long range shooting and hunting deer, to a lesser degree. Any thoughts?

Re: 6.5X55 or 30.06 Ackley Improved?

It's hard to beat the old 6.5x55. I don't like the recoil that comes along with the heavy bullets that shine in the .30-06 or '06AI.

Have you thought about the .280AI?

how about 6.5-06? if you have Redding bushing and comp dies you can just switch the bushing and seater stem. Neck down existing brass or buy new.

It is pretty hard to beat the 30-06 for a PA deer rifle. It is probably impossible to beat. The 6.5 caliber cartridge is a great cartridge-no doubt. However it is not a 30-06. If recoil is an issue you can load down the 30-06. But if you want to shot the heavies you can not load up the 6.5. The 6.5 bullets have a better BC than the lighter 30 caliber bullets-that much is true. But the heavy 30 caliber bullets will put the deer down. If recoil is the issue then you would probably shoot a lighter caliber than 6.5 to start with. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is pretty hard to beat the 30-06 for a PA deer rifle. It is probably impossible to beat. The 6.5 caliber cartridge is a great cartridge-no doubt. However it is not a 30-06. If recoil is an issue you can load down the 30-06. But if you want to shot the heavies you can not load up the 6.5. The 6.5 bullets have a better BC than the lighter 30 caliber bullets-that much is true. But the heavy 30 caliber bullets will put the deer down. If recoil is the issue then you would probably shoot a lighter caliber than 6.5 to start with. Tom. </div></div>

My .06 the way its set up now (ADL sporter) with 150 gr. bullets
is at the limit of my recoil tolerance. I'm thinking with a heavier barrel (Krieger #7) and the Manners T3, recoil shouldn't be a problem. BTW, hunted deer in WV too. Grad. WVU '89.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is pretty hard to beat the 30-06 for a PA deer rifle. It is probably impossible to beat. The 6.5 caliber cartridge is a great cartridge-no doubt. However it is not a 30-06. If recoil is an issue you can load down the 30-06. But if you want to shot the heavies you can not load up the 6.5. The 6.5 bullets have a better BC than the lighter 30 caliber bullets-that much is true. But the heavy 30 caliber bullets will put the deer down. If recoil is the issue then you would probably shoot a lighter caliber than 6.5 to start with. Tom. </div></div>

I second this one. I have an 06 and it's a hammer. I have shot everything from 90gr bullets for 30 carbine though 220 SMK's and I currently shoot 208 Amax for long range.

With lighter bullets loaded down it will be an excellent deer rifle, you can put a muzzle break on it too if you don't want the recoil from heavier rounds.

The 6.5x55 is a great cartridge and it's about equally matched to the 30-06 for ballistic path.

It's not equally matched for knockdown by a large shot, as in 50% (140 SMK and 208 Amax are similar BC's but the 208 weighs TWICE as much adn goes at the same speed)

The 280AI would be an improvement over both and you can get very light bullets in 7mm as well

There are numerous cartridges you could go with and not have to open up the boltface. 240 Weatherby, 6mm-06, 25-06, 6.5mm-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 8mm-06, 338-06, 35 whelen, and the ackley versions, to name a few. It depends on what you want to do. For long range I would go with the 6.5-06 or 30-06, and for deer any of them should work, but that is just my opinion.

I think the '06 is about ideal as a game rifle chambering. I'd not mess with the barrel, and stick with a sporter. The only time I notice recoil is at the range; on a hunt it's lost in the rest of the experience. My ultimate goal is to develop a 150gr .30-'06 load that works equally well in my Garand and my M70 Light weight Sporter.

As a range gun, the 6.5x55 makes a lot more sense; as does a heavier barrel to handle more sustained fire better. I could even consider an additional rifle, a bone-stock '96 Mauser, for Military Bolt gun matches.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the '06 is about ideal as a game rifle chambering. I'd not mess with the barrel, and stick with a sporter. The only time I notice recoil is at the range; on a hunt it's lost in the rest of the experience. My ultimate goal is to develop a 150gr .30-'06 load that works equally well in my Garand and my M70 Light weight Sporter.

As a range gun, the 6.5x55 makes a lot more sense; as does a heavier barrel to handle more sustained fire better. I could even consider an additional rifle, a bone-stock '96 Mauser, for Military Bolt gun matches.

Greg </div></div>

This will be more of a range gun that a hunting gun. I'm looking for accuracy first and cost savings, so trying to work with what I have in the action and reloading components. I plan on saving money by foregoing Badger stuff and gun coatings.

Most of my deer hunting is with a bow, but for the occasinal opportunity to gun hunt, I would like to be able to use it. Also, havn't done it yet, but would like to use it for competitions, like F-class.

My vote goes to the 30.06 AI, because I have one, and have no experience with the 6.5x55. I have shot out to 1,000 yards with this rifle , and love it ! , As for deer hunting, never had one go much more than DRT. Fire forming is no big deal, plus you can shoot standard 30.06 in it.

Mike

Lapua brass is much less expensive in 6.5x55 than it is in .30-06; if that is a consideration.

Think you might also consider doing a .308win on your long action, or a straight .284 winchester. Not much need to really chase velocity beyond what the 6.5x55 can deliver. Redding still doesn't make a Type S die in .30-06 although maybe the 6.5-06 will work? Might need to ream the die to get neck clearance. Have done that before...

Main thing you will benefit from is a short oal chamber. SAAMI spec plus .0005 to .0001".

Hard to see a better brush busting round for whitetails than the heavy 6.5 roundnose bullets at 2500fps. Actually, I think the 6.5x55AI is The Real Potential. Get you almost those 6.5-284 velocities, without the barrel-burner aspect. .005 shorter oal and .02 smaller in diamter; take out the taper and go 40deg shoulder and you have IT! Seems like Redding catalogues a die set but rather spendy... Might be worth it for F-class or for the perfect Mountain Rifle. Maybe improve and stretch the case out a bit more take up a bit of the excessive neck. All sorts of potential for the experimenter with the 6.5x55.

Hard to beat the .30-06, but the .338-06 with Hornady's 250gr match bullet will do so handily. .750 Ballistic Coefficient. Then there are the new .338 Bergers coming at .9BC...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding still doesn't make a Type S die in
.30-06...</div></div>

Um, yes they do...

"30-06 Springfield, P/N 77148 Type S Bushing Full, $75"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...just get the 7x57...I hear it's quite a corker... </div></div>

It's an excellent round...

Bignada- The "excessive neck" you mention on the 6.5x55 is one of the major reasons why the AI version of the caliber doesn't burn out barrels like the 6.5-284 does, just like the 6.5-06 is easier on barrels than the 6.5-284. That neck length helps with accuracy credentials of the round as well as helping the barrel live.

Sure, reduced powder capacity is a big factor, but the 6.5-06 is dynamite and it lives well for such an overbore round.

Thank you for the advice. Now, you guys really have my head spinning with all these calibers. (Honestly, I haven't even heard of some of them). This has to fit my 30.06 bolt face as don't want to pay to have it machined/replaced. Common caliber and availability of reloading components is plus, as well as availability of factory or surplus ammo. I am amenable to AI in 30.06 because I already have all the components. I guess I'm trying to decide if I want to tolerate the recoil of the .06 to save money on reloading equipement or just go 6.5X55 and buy the dies, etc. Also, I have a .308, based on this what caliber would you guys build if you had a LA laying around?

If I had a LA sitting around I'd build a 280 Ackley... which happens to be what I'm doing now.

I actually have a LA 700 that comes in today and has a 30-06 AI barrel on it. If you're interested in the barrel I can inspect it and see if it's in the excellent condition that the seller claims. Apparently her late husband passed away recently and he hadn't had time to shoot the thing more than once before he died... or so the story goes.

On another thought, the case head on a 308 and a 30-06 are the same, both .473

It's the standard case head size and the list of rounds which fit it is probably 2 pages long at least.

The 6.5-06 can use all the same brass you currently have, it would require stepping it down to 7mm-06 (which is the 280 Rem) and then down to the 6.5 with sizing dies.

If you wanted to run a longer barrel life round but still have low recoil from a 308 or 30-06 case you could use the 260 Rem (6.5-308) or a dynamite round mentioned that's midway between 7mm-08 and 280 Rem is the 7x57 Mauser.

If you wanted to go the cheap route, I'll sell you the 30-06 AI barrel and you can be on your way. I need to inspect it and figure out who made the barrel and it's condition first though, I don't feel right setting a price or anything without seeing it.

A 'smith would still need to install it and check the headspace, but it would minimize the amount of cutting they'd have to do.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go that route, we'll take that discussion offline.

look into the .284 Winchester, mild recoil, easy on barrels, shoots flat and is crazy accurate. It needs to be set up on a long action to get the full potential.

A 6.5x55mm is far more pleasant to shoot than a .30-'06 in a bolt gun. To me, the added recoil is not worth the return of greater energy.

6.5x55s are impressively accurate, feed like a dream, provide all the energy one needs for a deer hunting rifle, have long barrel life, and the reloading components are readily available at a reasonable cost. The 140s can be pushed to 2900+ in a modern action (not a small ring Mauser or Krag). Bullet weights range from 85gr to 160gr. It is not a finicky cartridge and eats anything from Varget to H1000 in the 140gr bullets. Having shot over 4000 rounds of 6.5x55, it is nothing but a pleasure in a sporter weight rifle.

If you like simplicity, build a 6.5x55.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM inbound. </div></div>

Replied, thank you.

Just to be a pain in the ass the American ammo makers DO NOT make correctly head sized 6.5x55 brass (its not in the .473 family, its .479). PROPER 6.5x55 brass (Lapua) may or may not fit your 30-06 bolt. Don't get me wrong, I have a couple of 6.5x55 rilfes and I love the cartridge but I would never be without a 30-06 as a hunter, the '06 is simply too versitle not to have. I agree that recoil becomes an issue in 06 when you get past the 180g bullets so if recoil is the biggest issue then you really cannot beat the 6.5x55. Good luck - you really can't go wrong with either choice.

I shoot the Lapua 6.5 x 55 brass in my Stiller Predator with the 0.473" bolt size. I thought the tolerances would be large enough to clear the rim on the brass and it was. I would have had the bolt opened up if needed but no need. I put a 6.5 x 55 AI chambered Brux on my F-class rig and it shoots great even when fireforming cases. It is not a hard round to find good accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot the Lapua 6.5 x 55 brass in my Stiller Predator with the 0.473" bolt size. I thought the tolerances would be large enough to clear the rim on the brass and it was. I would have had the bolt opened up if needed but no need. I put a 6.5 x 55 AI chambered Brux on my F-class rig and it shoots great even when fireforming cases. It is not a hard round to find good accuracy.
</div></div>

That seems to have been the consensus here but it good to here from someone who has actually done it. Now is the AI worth doing in this cartidge?

My .2 cents. Ive got a model 70 20-06 20 inch barrel that I wouldnt trade for anything. next to my 270wsm, it has killed more deer and varmits for me than anything. I have three loads for it, 150's 165's and 200 accubonds. all shoot submoa in the gun out to 300 yards, and I cant figure out how LOL. Like stated above I would never be without a 30-06 in my collection. If your recoil sensitive then muzzel brake it. the gun will kick like a 243 mabe even a 223. if your set on change, I would go with 25-06 or 25-06 ai. some of the other calibers mentioned might be good I just dont have any personall exp. with them so I cant chime in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20-06? bet that's a barrel burner. </div></div>

No doubt! And those 150, 165, and 200 grain accubonds must have a bc in the 1.25's or higher!
grin.gif
Sorry, couldn't help it.

Me too on the 30-06. I don't have an interest in any AI, but thats is just my own personal thing.

Use the "search" function and read some of the posts by MontanaMarine, USSR, and bohem dealing with the 30-06. You stated that the 150's and your ADL was near your limit with recoil. Put that #7 barrel and the somewhat heavier stock (a MCM w/sniper fill) and the recoil should be doable.

Your dime, my $.02.

I do not know yet if the improved version is worth it give me a few months and some matches. I did it so I could get case capacity that was equal or close to the 6.5 x 284 for 1,000 yard or 600 yards on windy days and use my 6.5 x 47 barrels for 300 yards and 600 yards on calm days.

The only bitch I have with the 6.5's is barrel life which is about 1,400 if shot hard in matches for the 6.5 x 47 L and I imagine a little less on the improved swede.

Got an news on the caliber choice? I took that 06 AI barrel out and shot some fireforming loads through it that I sacrificed from my plain jane -06. It clusters 5 into .65 inches... I'm actually kinda glad you didn't want it now LOL

Let me know if I can help in anyway, if you go with the 06 AI I have a couple loads that came with the package I got you might want to try.

The regular 30-06 dies you have now won't work with a 30-06 ackley. But you can run 30-06 brass in a 6.5-06 die.

"The 6.5-06 can use all the same brass you currently have, it would require stepping it down to 7mm-06 (which is the 280 Rem) and then down to the 6.5 with sizing dies".

I never needed to step down to a 7mm first. Just run the 06 brass right into the 6.5-06 die. Or neck the 25-06 up.

I have shot plenty of 6.5-06 and it will have more than enough energy for deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got an news on the caliber choice? I took that 06 AI barrel out and shot some fireforming loads through it that I sacrificed from my plain jane -06. It clusters 5 into .65 inches... I'm actually kinda glad you didn't want it now LOL

Let me know if I can help in anyway, if you go with the 06 AI I have a couple loads that came with the package I got you might want to try. </div></div>

Teasing me huh? That sounds pretty good. I'm leaning toward regular old .06 at this point. When I pick up my .308 from Carl Bernosky I'll have this discussion with him and let him help me decide. So many knowlegeable arguments here has my head spinning! But, I appreciate the help.

Currently, my thought process is that I am familiar with and already load 30.06 and I have a Garand, milsurp ammo, etc. I already load too many calibers as it is, and its attractive to me to stay with what I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got an news on the caliber choice? I took that 06 AI barrel out and shot some fireforming loads through it that I sacrificed from my plain jane -06. It clusters 5 into .65 inches... I'm actually kinda glad you didn't want it now LOL

Let me know if I can help in anyway, if you go with the 06 AI I have a couple loads that came with the package I got you might want to try. </div></div>

Teasing me huh? That sounds pretty good. I'm leaning toward regular old .06 at this point. When I pick up my .308 from Carl Bernosky I'll have this discussion with him and let him help me decide. So many knowlegeable arguments here has my head spinning! But, I appreciate the help.

Currently, my thought process is that I am familiar with and already load 30.06 and I have a Garand, milsurp ammo, etc. I already load too many calibers as it is, and its attractive to me to stay with what I have. </div></div>

LOL, yeah, teasing just a little bit... I was trying to avoid picking up another caliber to load for myself, I probably shouldn't have shot the thing, that tends to make me rethink the sale of things.

To the above 6.5-06 comment. I run 6.5-06 through the 280 sizing die first because it seems to induce less runout in the neck of the case than stepping down to 6.5mm in one shot. I agree, you can run it through the 6.5 sizer directly, but when I did that I was getting uneven neck thicknesses and about double (.005") neck runout compared to 2 stepping it.

I've since just decided to one step down from 270 brass and a buddy does a one step up from 25-06 brass.

...my two favorite cartidges have always been the 30-06 and the 6.5x55, so I have really been enjoying this thread...

...not to mention I thought of the 6.5-06 as soon as I saw the title of the thread...always kinda wanted one of those...

...the way things are going, maybe there will be factory brass for the 6.5-06 some day...???...

This is a no brainer! Build a long range gun that will occasionally kill a deer, and the choices are 6.5X55 and 30-06. Anybody who would choose a 30-06 over the 6.5X55 for long range is not thinking straight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a no brainer! Build a long range gun that will occasionally kill a deer, and the choices are 6.5X55 and 30-06. Anybody who would choose a 30-06 over the 6.5X55 for long range is not thinking straight. </div></div>

Rationale?

The 6.5X55 is way more than enough to kill a deer, so that isn't an issue. The only thing left is it's merit on killing paper. The 6.5 bullets are cheaper, more slippery, and have much less recoil, no fire forming(if you do an ackley 06). There is no reason to sling that much lead to kill paper, the 30 is a waste on the range. This is like the .260 vs..308 debate, it's only debated by non-reloaders and those who have never shot a .260. The 6.5X55 has the ballistics(drift/drop)that at least equal a 300wm, with a fraction of the cost and recoil.

I can agree with the other guys on the 7mm options, 280, 280AI, 284, are all way way better options that the 06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5X55 is way more than enough to kill a deer, so that isn't an issue. The only thing left is it's merit on killing paper. The 6.5 bullets are cheaper, more slippery, and have much less recoil, no fire forming(if you do an ackley 06). There is no reason to sling that much lead to kill paper, the 30 is a waste on the range. This is like the .260 vs..308 debate, it's only debated by non-reloaders and those who have never shot a .260. The 6.5X55 has the ballistics(drift/drop)that at least equal a 300wm, with a fraction of the cost and recoil.

I can agree with the other guys on the 7mm options, 280, 280AI, 284, are all way way better options that the 06. </div></div>

That's mostly true.

The downside on the 6.5 is that if you forget/lost/ruined your ammo on a hunting trip you're generally F'd. The 06, even in AI condition can shoot hardware store ammo for a hunt and still continue.

The heavy bullets in an 06 go just as fast and have the same BC as the 140gr 6.5mm pills. Equal barrel lengths and the 140 VLD's are a ballistic match to the 208gr Amax's. At that point though, your 06 is a very close ballistic match to the 300 WM

The 7mm options trump them both.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Originally Posted By: gmac
They kick like a mule!!

Originally Posted By: Falar
That 208gr A-Max over 59.5gr of RL-22 looks like a winner!

They sure do, the first day was 16 rounds, I had a bruised shoulder and my neck hurt from it. My chiropractor goes "wtf did you do to yourself this weekend?"

I've contemplated getting a brake for my 30-06 if I'm going to continue shooting these things.
"</span>
Here is your own quote from the reloading section bohem. 16 rounds...really? Please don't say it was a light hunting rifle either, because it doesn't matter. Thats why the 06 is a shit choice for a range gun! You need to hammer yourself like a win mag to get those ballistics out of the 06. Why? You could have the ballistics of your Amax for a fraction of the recoil. I've said this before but EVERYONE shoots a light recoiling rifle better, it's simply easier to do. I just returned yesterday from a three day desert trip where I fired about 250 .260's from the prone. I feel like a million bucks, not a mark on me.

The OP wanted a range gun first, and a potential deer getter. He shouldn't have mentioned the 06', that just brought out all than 06 fans. Nobody would have suggested one had he not.

edited: Ammo availability. 6.5 swede can be found in any decent gun store. Maybe not mom and pop general store but anything with a selection. If he is not flying to a hunt, the chance of him losing his ammo is so slim, it's not worth mentioning. What if he lost his gun on a flight? the what-if's never end.

You're right, it kicks nasty when you shoot it as hot as it runs. I'm not sure what your confrontational approach is for, I've pointed out the pro's and con's of both rounds. You just solidified the statement about finding ammo on a hunting trip for the 6.5x55 vs. a 30-06

Hunting trips rarely coincide with great gun shops, usually you're lucky when you find a place that sells ammo. I've seen backwater pharmacy's that sell .223, 308 and 30-06 ammo. I've only seen 1 backwater store sell anything like 6.5x55 and that is a place near my parents that stocks 7 STW only because there's a local guy who shoots 7 STW so the hardware store stocks it for him.

He's building a heavy range gun, a light weight rifle in 7 SAUM will whoop you too, does that mean it's a bad hunting rifle? I have a SAUM that all up weighs 7.5 lbs and from across the back of a truck I put 7 rounds into 6" at 404y two weeks ago.

My heavy -06 and my light -06 are different rifles, one weighs 16-17 lbs and the other is about 9.5 lbs

I shot the heavy rifle 2 weeks ago for 93 rounds of the 208's and I felt fine, all but 3 rounds were shot prone. Also that day I shot several hundred rounds of .223, about 100 308's, 100 rounds of 44 mag in a revolver, and a half dozen 300 RUM.

The 9lb'r last week had me sore after 25 rounds, but my groups still ran tiny, and I shot through the recoil with the same results as my heavy rifle.

Heavy or light makes a big difference, for these calibers I haven't found that I shoot them any differently when the rounds hit, it's how many I can take in a range session without feeling lousy the next day.

A heavy range rifle doesn't bother me, my light hunting rifles bother me, but the rounds still hit the target and I don't flinch or start shooting poorly.

The difference between shooting 93 rounds or 250 rounds is immaterial, once you're past about 20 and not getting beat up it doesn't matter.

My hunting rifle isn't a range rifle for me, different applications, different tools.

If you find that you can't handle the recoil and still shoot effectively then that's a personal situation and your personal issue to work around.

Sorry, not trying to be an ass. I just thought it was funny when i looked in the reloading section for 208 velocities and saw one of your own posts about how uncomfortable the thing was. I was certain you would reply with heavy vs. light.

The OP said nothing about a heavy gun. He wrote that he wanted a long range gun that will be used for deer to a lesser degree.

The only reason he mentioned the 06 is that he already loads for it.

Remember your the one that had the trouble with the recoil, not me. Regardless of your heavy vs. light explanation, the OP does not need a 30-06 because it is too much caliber for his needs IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to purchase parts for my R700 LA build (currently a old 30.06 sporter ADL) and was set on chambering 6.5X55. However, I've been told I could stay with 30.06 or even go 30.06 AI. The advange for me is that I already load the .06 and have dies, components, surplus HXP, etc. The gun will be use for long range shooting and hunting deer, to a lesser degree. Any thoughts? </div></div>

6.5x55 of the two.

IMO...Considering you got a bunch of 06 brass,go 280Rem.You can shoot 140's at moderate speeds for plinking with low recoil and 180's for serious long range work out to one mile.

Do one pass of 30-06 into 280FL die and reload as normal,that easy.Most gun stores have 280Rem on the shelf.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, not trying to be an ass. I just thought it was funny when i looked in the reloading section for 208 velocities and saw one of your own posts about how uncomfortable the thing was. I was certain you would reply with heavy vs. light.

The OP said nothing about a heavy gun. He wrote that he wanted a long range gun that will be used for deer to a lesser degree.

The only reason he mentioned the 06 is that he already loads for it.

Remember your the one that had the trouble with the recoil, not me. Regardless of your heavy vs. light explanation, the OP does not need a 30-06 because it is too much caliber for his needs IMO. </div></div>

I offered him a sporter weight 06 AI Barrel and he passed because he wants a heavy barrel for weight and range use. I said it was uncomfortable for long range sessions with a light rifle, not that I couldn't hit what I was aiming at with a light rifle.

Maybe my definition of "not handling" the recoil is different from yours, but I equate that phrase with poor groups or missed shots as opposed to realizing that a light rifle with a heavy bullet is going to kick and be uncomfortable to shoot 100 rounds through it in a day.

My heavy rifle, as I mentioned, is nice and comfortable to shoot with a 208gr bullet. That was my point, and I think I covered that directly about 3 times in the various posts in this thread.

I happen to like the 06 and I built a heavy rifle so I could comfortably shoot it a lot, as opposed to a lighter rifle that's easy to carry around the woods.

Can you compare a 7.5lb rifle in 6.5x55 burning out the 140's for recoil? They recoil with similar impulse to a 7.5lb 30-06 shooting 150's at the same speed, which is common weight and load for a PA deer rifle stoked with hunting ammo.

To add another consideration for your argument about a light rifle with the 6.5x55 Swede, what kind of recoil comparison would come from a 140gr 6.5mm bullet going the same speed as a 150gr 30 caliber from a 7.5lb rifle? That's the application for a regular hunting rifle with factory 150gr hunting loads.

If we mitigate that by saying the rifle weight can go up, then as the rifle weight increases I don't see an issue with the -06, my heavy rifle is comfortable with the heavy bullets.

I am having a hard time understanding how the light/heavy relationship isn't applicable when thinking about a caliber and application like a range queen.

Reactions: Odindad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to purchase parts for my R700 LA build (currently a old 30.06 sporter ADL) and was set on chambering 6.5X55. However, I've been told I could stay with 30.06 or even go 30.06 AI. The advange for me is that I already load the .06 and have dies, components, surplus HXP, etc. The gun will be use for long range shooting and hunting deer, to a lesser degree. Any thoughts? </div></div>

6.5x55 of the two.

IMO...Considering you got a bunch of 06 brass,go 280Rem.You can shoot 140's at moderate speeds for plinking with low recoil and 180's for serious long range work out to one mile.

Do one pass of 30-06 into 280FL die and reload as normal,that easy.Most gun stores have 280Rem on the shelf.

Steve </div></div>

Way up in the thread bohem also mentioned 280 rem (AI I think). How is this on barrel life? This is a plus if i can use my existing brass and boltface. I don't know this caliber though.

The 280"AI" is the 280 "Ackley Improved".It's a blown out version with 40 degree shoulder of the strait 280Rem which is the parent case.Actually 30-06 is the parent case to the 280Rem and all the rest of the cases in the 06 family.

You can do some googling with 280Rem and get load data and whatnot.

Steve

I am familiar the the Ackley change to the shoulder for various calibers. Will there be any less recoil in 280 if 30.06 is the parent case?

In general yes,because you are shooting lighter bullets.Just like a 25-06 kicks less that a 280.

The big thing with the 280 is a good balance of ballistic coefficient,velocity and barrel life.

These days I've come to the conclusion that I prefer medium weight bolt rifles.Too light weight and recoil becomes an issue for longer shooting sessions with 06 and above cartridges and "IMO" Too heavy and it's not much good for anything else but prone.

So recoil can be offset by building a medium weight rifle and moreso with a muzzle brake.A medium weight 280 shooting 180's at 2850 fps with a MB on it will kick like a 243 or less.

Steve

280 Rem has a different shoulder length than the 30-06. It is NOT a 7mm-06 straight up. You can have a 'smith run the 280 Reamer in and chamber on a 30-06 go gauge instead and you'll get a short chambered (0.052") 280 Rem that will let you just size down 06 brass and run it.

The 280 has great bullets available for it, recoil is milder than a 30-06. If you run the 7-06 you can use the same dies you already have for FL sizing work, just get a neck sizer die and you're ready to rock.

I've had 6.5-06; 7-06, 30-06 and they all shoot very well when loaded with modern bullets and powders. The 6.5 is a fussy lazerbeam, the 30-06 has a little better trajectory than a 260 and not quite as flat as a 6.5x55 generally. It delivers a lot more THUMP on target than the 6.5 varieties do.

With a 180gr 7mm bullet you have higher BC, slightly higher MV's, and at more extended ranges you can have more momentum and energy than a 30-06.

The upside to the 6.5x55 is going to be the recoil signature.

An FYI on that HXP brass... it's plinker, machine gun grade brass. If you're going to spend the money on having this rifle built then I would flat skip the HXP and get some quality brass to work from. Sideline it only to this rifle and take care of it, you'll have consistently better results over the life of the project.