6 creedmore starter rifle

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
So surfing for a low-end (but solid) 6 creedmore to grow on. 1k or less.

It seem that this segment is a little dried up for offerings--No Bergara (out of stock, discontinued), Tikka, and even Ruger has stopped offering rifles in this caliber. Ideally I'd like to take a Tikka and grow with it, but it isn't offered. RPR can still be found, but I struggle with all the pros and cons. That leaves maybe a Howa barreled action. Rem has definitly left a bad taste for me, and I read the Savage rep and it seems the crowd shyes away from that as well.

Is there anything else in this category?

Yeah I could jump to 2k, and get a badrock or similar prod rifle or maybe build myself a custom action but but (and maybe being hard on myself) that's just too much rifle for a beginner like me.

Edit: Yeah I'm sorta set on a 6 mm round--creedmore as I am a new reloader--nice to have backup from factory offerings.

1K is rifle only or 1k is for full full build?

If rifle only, look into Howa, even those with the cheaper stocks. Then you could upgrade to a Bravo. I was also going to suggest Ruger predator and switch stock but the barrel contour is a little on the light side.

Good luck...

Reactions: DocRDS
So surfing for a low-end (but solid) 6 creedmore to grow on. 1k or less.

It seem that this segment is a little dried up for offerings--No Bergara (out of stock, discontinued), Tikka, and even Ruger has stopped offering rifles in this caliber. Ideally I'd like to take a Tikka and grow with it, but it isn't offered. RPR can still be found, but I struggle with all the pros and cons. That leaves maybe a Howa barreled action. Rem has definitly left a bad taste for me, and I read the Savage rep and it seems the crowd shyes away from that as well.

Is there anything else in this category?

Yeah I could jump to 2k, and get a badrock or similar prod rifle or maybe build myself a custom action but but (and maybe being hard on myself) that's just too much rifle for a beginner like me.

Edit: Yeah I'm sorta set on a 6 mm round--creedmore as I am a new reloader--nice to have backup from factory offerings.
I have a RPR and it will shot as good as you can. very close to my GAP Gun. not refined like the GAP, but for the price? Get that RPR.

Reactions: DocRDS
I’ll be the first to joke around about cheaper gear.

But in all seriousness, when the Ruger RPR‘s are on sale, for some reason the 6cm goes for like $800 or better. It’s a no brainer for a budget beginner rifle.

Reactions: Newbie2020
@Rob01 there may be 6 creed RPRs out there in warehouses, but Ruger has dropped the chambering on their website for 2020.

Well that sucks. Didn’t look at their site just searched and found a bunch for sale. Well with that platform it’s easy enough to pop on a barrel if he wanted an RPR and can find a cheap used one.

Reactions: rookie7
Can I be the first to suggest maybe considering a cartridge other than the 6mm Creedmoor for a beginner rifle, and a budget minded shooter on top of that?

If the rifle is going to be a once a month, casual range gun... have at it. The barrel may last you 2-3 years.

If this is a rifle you intend on practicing with and competing with, then you 100% need to factor in the reoccurring cost of barrels.

Anyone who's shot the cartridge for more than a few years will tell you, aside from being fairly easy to load for, and more than plenty accurate to do anything you would even need it for, it eats barrels. I have 1600 on my second barrel, have #3 waiting in the closet, and am shopping for number #4.
They have, for me at least, taken a velocity dump anywhere from 1000 - 1200 rounds, and while still being very accurate, continue downhill in the velocity department.

Can I be the first to suggest maybe considering a cartridge other than the 6mm Creedmoor for a beginner rifle, and a budget minded shooter on top of that?

If the rifle is going to be a once a month, casual range gun... have at it. The barrel may last you 2-3 years.

If this is a rifle you intend on practicing with and competing with, then you 100% need to factor in the reoccurring cost of barrels.

Anyone who's shot the cartridge for more than a few years will tell you, aside from being fairly easy to load for, and more than plenty accurate to do anything you would even need it for, it eats barrels. I have 1600 on my second barrel, have #3 waiting in the closet, and am shopping for number #4.
They have, for me at least, taken a velocity dump anywhere from 1000 - 1200 rounds, and while still being very accurate, continue downhill in the velocity department.

I appreciate the sentiment, I have secret option D which is my 308 (its old, paid for, and allows me to do all sorts of dumb reloading experiments) which is my learn stupid crap and practice the ever living puss out of. The 6 is the "competition only" rifle to grow on, so yeah well aware of barrel burn out. Thats actually the idea--why waste a really nice rifle like a production PRS class rifle (which was my first thought) when you can learn the ins and outs as you grow. I did that is USPSA--growing from a M&P to a CZ Shadow 2 with more than a few bumps along the way. Its not so much I'm on a budget as a tightwad with my $$. Yeah I could drop 4k on a custom rifle. It would be a total waste on my skillset. My thought is 1k rifle and 3000 rounds of practice (and about 2-3 barrels at that rate) would be better in the long run.

So yeah technically used for a few matches a year and as I figure out the stuff I need, replaced/rebarreled/rebuilt.

I'll second the Howa BA + Bravo recommendation. I'm just over a grand including glass into my starter rig and it's got an amazing "ghetto-match grade" 1lb trigger after just buying a couple springs for like $10. Mine is printing 1/2 MOA @ 100 and I can ring 8" plates @ 500 at will (with significant help from an iPhone with the free Hornady ballistics app) using factory ammo, and I don't even really know what I'm doing yet 😜.
I could've bought a more expensive rifle, or bought an RPR, but I hate Ruger and saved enough on the Howa/Bravo to where I could afford to pick up a single-stage press and kit just for the rifle and not even have to dick around with reconfiguring my Dillon pistol setup.
I'm new to bolt guns and am mainly an USPSA pistol shooter so I won't cook my barrel as fast as some around here, but even when I do in a year or so, "Howage" prefit barrels aren't too bad at around $500 or so and the action seems about as nice as anything else until you level up into the $1k+ custom actions.

(I know 3-shot groups are lame, but I shot up too many rounds ringing steel at 400-500, the "bang/pause/clank" is so satisfying lol...)
image0-2.jpegimage1.png

Last edited:
I'll second the Howa BA + Bravo recommendation. I'm just over a grand including glass into my starter rig and it's got an amazing "ghetto-match grade" 1lb trigger after just buying a couple springs for like $10. Mine is printing 1/2 MOA @ 100 and I can ring 8" plates @ 500 at will (with significant help from an iPhone with the free Hornady ballistics app) using factory ammo, and I don't even really know what I'm doing yet 😜.
I could've bought a more expensive rifle, or bought an RPR, but I hate Ruger and saved enough on the Howa/Bravo to where I could afford to pick up a single-stage press and kit just for the rifle and not even have to dick around with reconfiguring my Dillon pistol setup.
I'm new to bolt guns and am mainly an USPSA pistol shooter so I won't cook my barrel as fast as some around here, but even when I do in a year or so, "Howage" prefit barrels aren't too bad at around $500 or so and the action seems about as nice as anything else until you level up into the $1k+ custom actions.

(I know 3-shot groups are lame, but I shot up too many rounds ringing steel at 400-500, the "bang/pause/clank" is so satisfying lol...)
View attachment 7434213View attachment 7434214

I like the kitchen

I appreciate the sentiment, I have secret option D which is my 308 (its old, paid for, and allows me to do all sorts of dumb reloading experiments) which is my learn stupid crap and practice the ever living puss out of. The 6 is the "competition only" rifle to grow on, so yeah well aware of barrel burn out. Thats actually the idea--why waste a really nice rifle like a production PRS class rifle (which was my first thought) when you can learn the ins and outs as you grow. I did that is USPSA--growing from a M&P to a CZ Shadow 2 with more than a few bumps along the way. Its not so much I'm on a budget as a tightwad with my $$. Yeah I could drop 4k on a custom rifle. It would be a total waste on my skillset. My thought is 1k rifle and 3000 rounds of practice (and about 2-3 barrels at that rate) would be better in the long run.

So yeah technically used for a few matches a year and as I figure out the stuff I need, replaced/rebarreled/rebuilt.

On the other hand, you might realize that once you have an accurate rifle that fits you well it's not what's holding you back

There's a dude in my local area who went from B to M in carry optics in less than a year an a half with a $550 CZ P-10F. I shoot one as well and after adding some silicon carbide to the grip and putting a $65 flat faced trigger in it I'm all out of excuses on the equipment side. Now I have to learn how to do things sooner and move faster.