• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

700 p issues

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
I recently put a badger break on my .300 win mag police and have had no problems with it affecting accuracy. Well last week I loaded a batch of bullets and was hitting sub moa at 120 yds. Today a noticed that the break had become a little off centered and when I began shooting the same batch shot previously the results were horrible. My question is it the muzzle break, weather..... I am just totally frustrated. Please any suggestions would help. Thanks

Re: 700 p issues

Yeah it's threaded. I think my buddy may have messed it up looking at the threads to see what kind of silencer would fit. I guess he over tightened it. But would that effect accuracy or just direction of sound

You mean the hole of the brake is not concentric with the bore of the rifle?

Or are you referring to the timing of the brake, ie the ports arent exactly at 3 and 9 o clock, maybe 2 and 8?

If the holes are not concentric, the bullet may be hitting the brake on its way out...

I wouldn't think the timing would have an effect on accuracy, but don't quote me on that.

I thought about that and examined it and there seems to be no sign of misalignment. The port holes are just a little off meaning instead of 3 and 9 o'clock the are 4 and 10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about that and examined it and there seems to be no sign of misalignment. The port holes are just a little off meaning instead of 3 and 9 o'clock the are 4 and 10</div></div>

I sure wouldn't think the holes being a little more off set (4 & 10) would affect accuracy, or at least not to that extend. Something else must be up with the rifle, IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a point of impact shift caused by a change in timing of the brake, but not group size.

I'm reaching out at straws, but maybe he banged up your muzzle crown when "inspecting" it with the brake off?

Maybe you just had a bad day - most all of us have been there before.

Fouled barrel?

Scope loose?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also,

What difference are we talking about, from good to horrible?

If it went from like .5moa to 2moa then yea id say thats horrible. But like .5 to .8 is probably just a bad day </div></div>
^^^^^
good question. and remember ,your shooting 300wm. no hot barrels"let it cool between strings" and dry fire! and dont overtighten brake. you may use non perm lock tight to get you back to 3-9 o clock

Thanks for the advice guys. Got it solved w/ a slight loosening of break. Back to sub moa. I think the angle of the break was throwing it off anyways. Loaded up some vld's and back to "one hole" groups. Again thanks for the input.