7mm bullet to use for 1 mile??

Schw15

Longrange
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Just came into a 7mm rem mag barrel prefit throated long. Heard bad on the 180 eldm blowing up and this barrel has a 1-8 twist ran them fine in a 1-9 280 ai. Berger 190? 190 a-tip? 180 eldm? Interested in hearing what everyone runs. I do use the 225 eldm in 300 win mag with perfect results and like the prices

You mean ELD-x?

I hadn’t thought about them.
    Maybe a bit tougher than the 180?
    I do believe the one major difference in the two is the 175 has a small ring closer to the bottom more like a cramp type thing in the lead so it will mushroom right there and just a little bit thicker jacket but not much at all and their ring is almost non-existent I've cut quite a few in 2

@Schw15 I just came into possession of a used Remington 7mm. Its a factory rifle ADL rifle with a 24" hunting profile barrel in darn near new condition. I've test fired it using 162 ELD-X with hand loads. Went bang no problem, got it on paper. Moving on to accuracy testing this weekend. My plan then is to jump right into the 190 Berger Target Hybrid. Hoping my barrel length and 1-9 twist rate will work with them out to 1k. Interested in your results. Keep us posted.

I've not used the Hornady bullets in my .284 so can't speak to their effectiveness. I started with Berger Hybrid 180 Hybrids and haven't looked back. I'm getting 2840 fps out of a 28" Bartlein with 1:8 twist and hit targets at 1850 yards. I've not tried anything heavier since it's a "straight" .284 and the 180's produce enough splash in our soft impact/target area to see misses but heavier bullets, if pushed at speed, are worthy of strong consideration if splash is hard to see.

Reactions: MACHTECH
    My go to powder was going to be h1000 to start with. Looking for 180 eldm or 190 bergers but those 190 atips look dang good bc .422 lol came into this barrel 28 inch long 1-8 twist with muzzle brake so should get some great velocities

197 smk is also a great bullet for elr out of an 8tw. I did load work for a 280ai and it was simple. Touching and Rl26 was the key to success. You can start there with the 7 mag. This was a single shot so if you set up the 7mag so the boatail is at the neck/shoulder area short of a 4" wyatts box you will be shooting single shot also.

197 smk is also a great bullet for elr out of an 8tw. I did load work for a 280ai and it was simple. Touching and Rl26 was the key to success. You can start there with the 7 mag. This was a single shot so if you set up the 7mag so the boatail is at the neck/shoulder area short of a 4" wyatts box you will be shooting single shot also.
    I for got about that bullet. What is the g7 bc? Yeah i dont mind single shot at all just a long range target rifle for fun. But yeah that would be a good one too

I've not used the Hornady bullets in my .284 so can't speak to their effectiveness. I started with Berger Hybrid 180 Hybrids and haven't looked back. I'm getting 2840 fps out of a 28" Bartlein with 1:8 twist and hit targets at 1850 yards. I've not tried anything heavier since it's a "straight" .284 and the 180's produce enough splash in our soft impact/target area to see misses but heavier bullets, if pushed at speed, are worthy of strong consideration if splash is hard to see.
    I have some 180 hybrids on the way for testing.

I've been putting off ordering the bullets cuz I haven't decided but now I think I might wait for your update cuz I wouldn't mind running the a tips if you get that much more performance out of them
    If that BC is close at my current 190 speed drops look like this.
    1FED8147-52E1-4EC4-BDE9-4480DDA6151E.png

• Wow
    Reactions: 65x55guy
    I use the 180 ELD Match in a custom 7 SAUM in a short action. They work well for me, Though I only took them out to 750 yds. I measured the twist rate in my barrel at 1:8.375 and at my elevation I have an SG around 2.0. No issues that Ive seen with the tips blowing up. I recently bought Berger 195 EOL's and will be loading them up soon. I really like the consistency of the Berger jacket dimensions and I have a feeding problem that sometimes hang up on the plastic tip on the ELD's

I use the 180 ELD Match in a custom 7 SAUM in a short action. They work well for me, Though I only took them out to 750 yds. I measured the twist rate in my barrel at 1:8.375 and at my elevation I have an SG around 2.0. No issues that Ive seen with the tips blowing up. I recently bought Berger 195 EOL's and will be loading them up soon. I really like the consistency of the Berger jacket dimensions and I have a feeding problem that sometimes hang up on the plastic tip on the ELD's
    Glad to hear that you're having good performance with those so far

I did a little research and found out the 180 ELD MS are blowing up a lot and with a lot of people even slower barrels 1 in 8 twist 1 and 9 twist slower speeds I think I'm going to stay away I also read about the 225 ELD M's having a few blow ups and the 147 had a lot of problems might be moving to Berger's for everything

Reactions: jasent
    I am running the 180 eldms at 2980 out of a 7 Sherman short very good accuracy but haven't gone past 1k. Haven't run into any blow ups in a 1:8 26 inch barrel. Same rifle shoots all bergers excellent (195, 180, 184anxious to try the 190's). Will say that the eldm's are much more finicky than the bergers and never could get the 175 ELDX to shoot in the Sherman or 280 ai

I am running the 180 eldms at 2980 out of a 7 Sherman short very good accuracy but haven't gone past 1k. Haven't run into any blow ups in a 1:8 26 inch barrel. Same rifle shoots all bergers excellent (195, 180, 184anxious to try the 190's). Will say that the eldm's are much more finicky than the bergers and never could get the 175 ELDX to shoot in the Sherman or 280 ai
    I just came into that recently the finding that information I did my research it is all over different forms and Shooters maybe they corrected it it seems like they fix the 147 they were having the same problem but then I get a lot of guys say that it's never happened to them too I love the ELD MS I find them very easy to load for me and shoot lights out

I did a little research and found out the 180 ELD MS are blowing up a lot and with a lot of people even slower barrels 1 in 8 twist 1 and 9 twist slower speeds I think I'm going to stay away I also read about the 225 ELD M's having a few blow ups and the 147 had a lot of problems might be moving to Berger's for everything
    Yea
    I’m definitely not alone.
    I just came into that recently the finding that information I did my research it is all over different forms and Shooters maybe they corrected it it seems like they fix the 147 they were having the same problem but then I get a lot of guys say that it's never happened to them too I love the ELD MS I find them very easy to load for me and shoot lights out
    My problems with the 147’s disappeared.
    I’m shooting them in the same barrel with a lot more wear now and they’re not going poof any more.

I found tuning the 180eldm’s incredibly easy.
    little jum,p, tons of jump,,,,,it didn’t seem to matter.
    good group on paper and excellent results at distance.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
    Yea
    I’m definitely not alone.

My problems with the 147’s disappeared.
    I’m shooting them in the same barrel with a lot more wear now and they’re not going poof any more.

I found tuning the 180eldm’s incredibly easy.
    little jum,p, tons of jump,,,,,it didn’t seem to matter.
    good group on paper and excellent results at distance.
    Yeah seems like the 180 eldm never got fixed alot of mixed results some no problems. Ive never had a problem with the 147 at 2810 or the 225 at 2929

Yeah seems like the 180 eldm never got fixed alot of mixed results some no problems. Ive never had a problem with the 147 at 2810 or the 225 at 2929
    I’m wondering if a lot of people bought bulk lots of the good ones and are not shooting recent production.
    It seemed like the last of the 218’s and the very first of the 219 coded 147’s were the issue.

My current 180’s are 2190035’s or 335’s as the code is scratched.
    These are popping about 25%