• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

A good 1500 yard caliber

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, once you hit at 1500y, you'll want a mile. Once you get a mile, you'll want 2k, then you'll want 2640y. Go with something big enough that gives you room to grow into. Don't go with something that is capable of 1500y, but would struggle further.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, once you hit at 1500y, you'll want a mile. Once you get a mile, you'll want 2k, then you'll want 2640y. Go with something big enough that gives you room to grow into. Don't go with something that is capable of 1500y, but would struggle further.
That's why I went with the 338 Edge... for the OP, a 300 PRC or 300 RUM, will do great at 1500

True.

As a precision rifle poor I can’t afford to shoot a 338 or 375 as much as I would want to especially as I have access to 2000 easily but 2500+ sites are limited at times.

Plenty happy with the 7mm that handles all my common targets quite well and I can shoot 1-2 times a week comfortably and still fund my other hobbies.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I'm in that weird realm. I have lots of calibers up to and including 338s and my wife runs a 375ct. I've got out to 2k, but never further because I don't compete further than that. My wife shoots out to 2 Miles, but we shoot in different categories and we like being able to work together since we never compete on the same days lol

I'm in that weird realm. I have lots of calibers up to and including 338s and my wife runs a 375ct.
52B430B2-8087-4FA0-8B1C-73AB96C5DAE7.jpeg

Steel head’s formula for easy mode to 1500 yards affordably without needing perfect conditions.
2800+ FPS.
A quality bullet with a G7 at .350ish or better preferably above 175 grains for easier spotting.

I am shoot 7mm08 in my roger precision. I'm launching 168VLD's at 2830 out of a 27" barrel using 6.5 staball powder and lapua 308 reformed brass. I've had mine out to 1080yds and it smacks pretty hard still. Misses are easy to spot and I hear the barrel life is equivalent to a 308 barrel life.

As someone else said, stay away from the overbite rounds. My 6 creed lasted all of 1700ish rods before accuracy fell off.

300 win mag or 338 lapua is what I would run.
I'm old skool and I love my 300 WM. In ten years the distances may be so far that it won't do the job anymore, but I'll be shooting it until the last day of that 10 years and probably more. I have a 6.5 PRC and it does the job nicely, but it doesn't have the style of the 300 WM.

I'm old skool and I love my 300 WM. In ten years the distances may be so far that it won't do the job anymore, but I'll be shooting it until the last day of that 10 years and probably more. I have a 6.5 PRC and it does the job nicely, but it doesn't have the style of the 300 WM.
Watch mark and Sam shoot the 300WM
He’s sayin he thinks the 300WM might be better than the 300PRC with super heavies.

I 100% am confident I could get well past a mile comfortably with a 300wm.
The newer 300 bullets really changed things over the ole 190.

Reactions: BCX
Watch mark and Sam shoot the 300WM
He’s sayin he thinks the 300WM might be better than the 300PRC with super heavies.

I 100% am confident I could get well past a mile comfortably with a 300wm.
The newer 300 bullets really changed things over the ole 190.

Mark isn't comparing apples to apples though...he's comparing his 300wm that has a longer throat...it has been chambered to allow the longer projectiles to sit where they like to be...instead of pushed down in the powder column. So, in my opinion...once it is outside the sammi spec of the reamer print...it is no longer a 300wm.

Let's be honest here...when all the BS is pushed away...the 300 PRC is a 300wm without the belt....chambered longer so you can take advantage of the newer bullets that like to be seated out long. It has a tighter chamber...and more free bore....

I am biased...because I detest belted cartridges....but I do like 30cal...and I do like taking a 230gr or even a 250gr bullet....and making it scream at 3000fps and ringing steel.

Reactions: JOS
Mark isn't comparing apples to apples though...he's comparing his 300wm that has a longer throat...it has been chambered to allow the longer projectiles to sit where they like to be...instead of pushed down in the powder column. So, in my opinion...once it is outside the sammi spec of the reamer print...it is no longer a 300wm.

Let's be honest here...when all the BS is pushed away...the 300 PRC is a 300wm without the belt....chambered longer so you can take advantage of the newer bullets that like to be seated out long. It has a tighter chamber...and more free bore....

I am biased...because I detest belted cartridges....but I do like 30cal...and I do like taking a 230gr or even a 250gr bullet....and making it scream at 3000fps and ringing steel.
Who wouldn’t change the throat With a 300WM for ELR?
That’s the benefit of 300PRS, throat is more inline with modern high BC bullets.

Who wouldn’t change the throat With a 300WM for ELR?
That’s the benefit of 300PRS, throat is more inline with modern high BC bullets.

Everyone in ELR would change the throat....but the way a lot of these people word things...the way they deliver things...it seems that you can just walk out of Big Ed's Bait & Beer with your 300WM and it is just as good as that Ruger Precision Rifle in 300PRC.

Also....Yesterday I got my ass spanked in a 1000yd Tactical Class Shoot Off....me shooting the 300PRC.....I got smoked by a 22-284...because I forgot to not try and super load a Bipod...on a concrete bench...when shooting paper... 5" group to get me there...and then a 13" group in a shoot off....thus....it's the shooter...not the round. There are a shit ton of cartridges that will get it done at 1500yds. A great shooter can make them all shine. A crappy shooter will make them all look inferior.....but the 300PRC is the new easy button.

I have a lot of different rigs for different matches or just general purpose. But if I was going to a money shoot or hunting 1500 and under I am taking my 300WSM, 1500-2500, I am taking my 338 lapua.
From a pure accuracy standpoint I really love my 300WSMs

an air rifle almost zero barrel wear and the record so far in 1400 yards add another 100 yards and your at your desired 1500 yards and with an air rifle lol you can do it . if that is really true .

One of mine was only 75% (swfa) I’m talking about barrels being disposable

Every day I see folks worried about barrel life like holy crap I want my barrel to last 2-5k rounds. Even though the Barrel cost is a mere smidgen the cost to burn one out.

Reactions: BCX
One of mine was only 75% (swfa) I’m talking about barrels being disposable

Every day I see folks worried about barrel life like holy crap I want my barrel to last 2-5k rounds. Even though the Barrel cost is a mere smidgen the cost to burn one out.
Barrel life or performance.
pick one.
The super hot rod 338’s are lasting about 500 rounds
A 338 federal would possibly last a lifetime.

the air rifle world record is supposed to be 1400 yards , add another 100 yard on and they are supposed to have excellent barrel life
you could shoot 1500 yards and set a world record doing it not mention the added benifit you could make your own ammo and get a foot pump to refill the gun , that has to be cheaper than ammo cost , and cleaning products no carbon or copper just lead .

You could try using a Sharps 50-90. Billy Dixon used it to make a successful shot at a Comanche warrior from 1,538 yards away in June of 1874 at the Battle of Adobe Walls.

300WSM, 300WM, 7WSM, 338 Lapua, 338 Edge, 338 Lapua AI, 280 Rem, 280 Rem AI..... There's a ton of them that will reliably make 1500.
Been shooting 280 Rem since I was 13... handloads and 168 SMKs will definitely make it out past 1K, but I definitely wouldn't call it optimal or easy. Personally, I'm warming up to 7 SAUM for my next rifle.