Advise on ELR Scopes, max magnification ?

Rprecision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Progressive Hell, CO
I am spinning up a .300 WM Project with hopes to shoot to 1500 Yards on steal and paper. Realistically, I want to own 1k, but playing at over 1500 could be fun.

My question is optics, and I realize this is not the scope section but this is specific to ELR.

I find the mirage so great at times it makes my 15X .308 scope difficult to use at distance.

I see some folks running 25X + on ELR scopes, is this practical ?

I am considering a 5-20X Razor, but if more magnification is needed maybe I will rethink things. But back to real use

Thanks

A max magnification of 20x or 25x is most common for experienced ELR shooters. A lot of people new to the game decide instead on 30x or ever 45x, thinking it's all about magnification. The reality is those high mag scopes are often designed for Benchrest shooting and lack the amount of available elevation you get in the other scopes. Not only that, but try getting back on target after recoil when you're zoomed in crazy like that. Available elevation and optical quality are among the key things to look for with scopes designed for ELR shooting. A 25x scope in a 40MOA mount is all you need to shoot to a mile and beyond and you don't always have to be maxed out every time either.

I will agree with Dog, 25X is about all you need, If its something like a NF ATACR, you will get lots of elevation and with a 20 moa base you will most certainly shoot ELR

A max magnification of 20x or 25x is most common for experienced ELR shooters. A lot of people new to the game decide instead on 30x or ever 45x, thinking it's all about magnification. The reality is those high mag scopes are often designed for Benchrest shooting and lack the amount of available elevation you get in the other scopes. Not only that, but try getting back on target after recoil when you're zoomed in crazy like that. Available elevation and optical quality are among the key things to look for with scopes designed for ELR shooting. A 25x scope in a 40MOA mount is all you need to shoot to a mile and beyond and you don't always have to be maxed out every time either.

I agree. Although I have a Bushnell XRS ( goes up to 30x) and I love it. Beautiful glass. However, a 5.5x22x50 NightForce will get you to a mile with the proper base. Got 3 of those.... LOVE THEM