AeroPress coffee

8 O’clock in a 12 cup Mr. Coffee using tap water or gtfo.
AE2E7D33-30D2-4D51-9076-0AA1B5F5AB67.gif

Reactions: godofthunder
There are times it would be nice to make more than one cup at a time, when friends and family are over.

I use the inverted method, MOST coffee I brew in 1 minute 30 seconds per cup
I can get 4 cups out in 10 minutes which serves me most of the time

There are times it would be nice to make more than one cup at a time, when friends and family are over.

I use the inverted method, MOST coffee I brew in 1 minute 30 seconds per cup
I can get 4 cups out in 10 minutes which serves me most of the time
Same. 14 grams of coffee beans go in the grinder, tap to level the grinds, water goes in the microwave to heat up while I'm grinding, pour a little water to bloom the coffee, more water to fill, let it brew for 90 seconds, and strain into my mug.

I would love to hear some coffee recommendations.

I like darker roasts. Chocolate and toffee flavor profiles.

Lately I’ve been drinking Velton’s Twilight and a Velton Ethiopian single origin.

Reactions: FredBart
I would love to hear some coffee recommendations.

I like darker roasts. Chocolate and toffee flavor profiles.

Lately I’ve been drinking Velton’s Twilight and a Velton Ethiopian single origin.
I like much of the same notes as you do and I really like Ugandan in a medium dark roast. Caramel notes seem to be present in the Central and South American beans, like Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala.

If you go to that Smokin" Beans website I posted earlier, you can go to their "Attributes/Flavor Family" and find which beans have the flavor you're looking for.

Reactions: Changed
Raise your coffe snob hands if you've actually had Honduras Coffee in Honduras, Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee in Jamacia and Blue Mountain Kauai Coffee in Kauai?

I can for all three. But the ABSOLUTE best coffe I've ever had was Honduran coffee at some coffee shop there. Swirl the cup and it looked like mud but one sip was almost magical.

WAIT WAIT WAIT...

You know the EXACT weight(14g) of beans you put in your grinder, but then you use the fucking MICROWAVE to heat up your water...

GTFO with that shit...

Dont be poor and spend the $20 on the finest quality chinese made electric tea kettle...
Yes, I use the microwave. I fill up my Pyrex measuring cup and it goes in the microwave for 45 seconds. Water temp comes out between 199° and 204° every time

Well, here’s yall a chance to make fun of the Arkie. Wife does not drink coffee, I do. I use Folgers Columbian an use a Mr Coffee 5 cup maker. No filter jus the screen
We live in rural Ark an would be 50mi drive to buy, or hav to order Boutique coffees
Would an aeropress make Folgers that much better?

Well, here’s yall a chance to make fun of the Arkie. Wife does not drink coffee, I do. I use Folgers Columbian an use a Mr Coffee 5 cup maker. No filter jus the screen
We live in rural Ark an would be 50mi drive to buy, or hav to order Boutique coffees
I know some people hate it, but I do like some of the Black Rifle offerings, and they have their "coffee club" so you can have it delivered automatically ever so often. Keeps you from having to drive or order stuff.

So, when you go to the in-laws for thanksgiving, is it the same couple you called mom and dad when you were growing up?

• Haha
Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
I’ll second the inverted method. Pour a little hot water in and let the grounds bloom before filling and letting steep for a minute, then pressing.
Also agree aeropress should make one bigger.
My favorite method now is 30 grams ground medium
Pour in 150 grams and stirred for 30 seconds
Steep for another minute, quick stir then flip and press
Cut with 150-170 grams of additional water

It's the Cadillac of drip coffee makers thats for sure... but IMO it still doesnt touch the quality of an aeropress, bialetti, cheap french press, etc...
Can confirm that the Moccamaster makes a good cup of coffee, but, personally speaking, it is inferior to aeropress, french press, pour over etc. I think that it comes down to coffee knowledge more than anything else...

I would much rather use an aeropress or a pour over such as a Hario V60 or Kalita Wave and learn how changing different parameters (grind size, water temp, coffee/water ration, agitation/brew time etc.) affects the outcome of a cup of coffee.

I have a feeling that most people really couldn't tell the difference between over-extracted vs. under-extracted, burnt, or rancid coffee... other than it's "good" or "bad".

You guys use the standard paper Aeropress filters, or a mesh screen?

I find using two paper filters works much better at preventing grounds from passing around than a single filter.

I find using two paper filters works much better at preventing grounds from passing around than a single filter.
with our Aeropress, all I do is simply 'wet' the paper before putting the screen on top of the inverted press. The 'wetted' paper sticks to the screen and doesn't move, therefore no grounds get by and no mess gets made. The first week we had the thing, I didn't do that, and was using the paper dry. Learned the hard way, with grounds and coffee all over.

Also, I don't know about ya'll, but my regular morning regimen includes a stainless steel 'canning funnel' that I place over/onto the mug I'm going to press into. This is because of some variable where coffee squirts/seeps up through the sides of the filter-screen and goes in any direction BUT into the mug. So the funnel catches it, and prevents loss and mess.

(counter-intuitive, isn't it? HA) I'm thinking of getting one of those stainless steel 'espresso screens' to use, instead of the disposable paper. Dollar for dollar though, the aeropress still makes the finest/bestest cup of coffee over any of the machines that I've used. Even the ones that are 'worth' insane values like "some-hundred dollars..."

That's a statement in itself.

Reactions: DIBBS

I bought the mesh screens on Amazon a few years ago and I prefer them over the paper. Nothing wrong with the paper filters. I just like that the mesh is reusable

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I'm not a coffee-ologist yet, nor am I a 'grind-ologist' but I've tried to re-use the papers as I make two cups back-to-back each morning. One for My Lady and one for myself.

Maybe I'm grinding the coffee too fine, but I can't use the paper filter more than once. She gets 1 scoop (by request) whereas I take 3 scoops. I also steep/stir for 3 1/2 minutes. I'm thinking I have to adjust the grind to 'just a little bit coarser' because it's actually kinda hard to press mine. Thing is though, there really is a difference in taste and consistency between 'ultra-fine' similar to espresso-grind and 'medium'. Using the same beans.

Still learning, and that's a good thing.

I'm not a coffee-ologist yet, nor am I a 'grind-ologist' but I've tried to re-use the papers as I make two cups back-to-back each morning. One for My Lady and one for myself.

Maybe I'm grinding the coffee too fine, but I can't use the paper filter more than once. She gets 1 scoop (by request) whereas I take 3 scoops. I also steep/stir for 3 1/2 minutes. I'm thinking I have to adjust the grind to 'just a little bit coarser' because it's actually kinda hard to press mine. Thing is though, there really is a difference in taste and consistency between 'ultra-fine' similar to espresso-grind and 'medium'. Using the same beans.

Still learning, and that's a good thing.
Yea
Grind is huge as well.
I mostly grind medium or medium fine- table salt size.
Really fine get bitter and kinda muted.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I use a single paper filter, never have I had grounds pass into the cup

I have had cases where coffee will flow over the edge of the cup, but this happens if the paper filter is misaligned just a little

You can use this device that comes with your aropress to avoid that seep around the edge

1635966914294.png

Small end at bottom goes in cup, aeropress goes in large opening, press
this catches any possible seep and directs into the cup

Use the Aero press enough and you can avoid the edge seep, get the filter in just right (wet is key) and don't press too hard

@krw

UPS doesn't ship to your address?

yes, I am not a coffee snob, I just like a well made cup of coffee.

Folgers could be considered it's own special taste in coffee, brew it wrong and it will taste worse than if you brew it right.

Finally found a method that really tasted good with stumptown evergreen
This is the most fussy coffee I’ve experienced!

30 grams ground medium fine leaning on fine side
340 grams of water right off the boil

Invert,plunger at #4

Pour in 80-100 grams and stir briskly to mix and bloom for about 20 seconds

Pour to flange and stir a few times

Steep for 1:15 minutes

Stir and place filter/cap

Place on cup and push lightly

Cut with remaining part of 340 grams of water.

Reactions: Makinchips208
All this coffee talk, and nobody is roasting their own beans?
Ladies, please. Get with the program.
Seriously - it isn't difficult, and fresh (as in, not roasted a month ago from some shop you mail order from) is the only way to fly.

Edit: sorry, I just realized I hijacked an Aeropress thread. Apologies to Aeropress.

I tried cutting my brew with hot water, it made a world if difference. No longer do I need aeropress to make a larger unit, because I just press out a nice strong brew, cut it with water and it was 👌.
I need to measure more precisely but in general follow the above recipe from steel head

I was a Folger's guy and didn't think there was any differences in coffee until I tried a Honduran coffee that a local coffee shop made with some big glass Japanese "siphon" contraption. Hot damn was that coffee good!

That motivated me to get a press, but it cracked in just a couple of months. How well made are these Aeropresses?

I was a Folger's guy and didn't think there was any differences in coffee until I tried a Honduran coffee that a local coffee shop made with some big glass Japanese "siphon" contraption. Hot damn was that coffee good!

That motivated me to get a press, but it cracked in just a couple of months. How well made are these Aeropresses?

Its plastic... if you break it I bet they will replace it. Mine saw daily use for YEARS. Havent used it in a while, but still have it.

Reactions: MtnGhost
I like to try different coffee beans, I gave www.smokinbeans.com a try, have to say I am NOT impressed

The coffee from https://volcanicacoffee.com has far more complex flavor

Smokinbeans is not bad, just isn't up to volcanica coffee level of flavor to me
Volcanica is awesome
Everything I’ve tried from them has been awesome snd their $$$ selections can be nothing short of life changing.

What’s the buzz is great as well but I haven’t tried a lot of their offerings.

Press house tavern blend is quite yummy.

Kicking horse and stumptown are pretty good.

There’s a local roaster very close to me called 9barespresso I’m trying next.
Almost walking distance from my place.

Reactions: kenny1773

Remember the aerobie? That flying ring that went so far you would loose them?well Aeropress is made by the same guys that designed and made the aerobie. The aeropress seems quite durable.

Reactions: MtnGhost