• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

AeroPress coffee

I did 2 cups yesterday. I’m guessing it might be the coarse grind, but on the first one most of the water seeped through in the 2:30 steep time. I did the second one inverted just to avoid that problem.

I thought the first cup might be weak because of that, but there was only a little difference between the two.

I did 2 cups yesterday. I’m guessing it might be the coarse grind, but on the first one most of the water seeped through in the 2:30 steep time. I did the second one inverted just to avoid that problem.

I thought the first cup might be weak because of that, but there was only a little difference between the two.
If you barely put the plunger in it will stop water flow during steeping.

It is interesting how different the coffee can taste from inverted to non inverted method. I typically always go with inverted method.

Aero press is good, always goes with me for road trips. Definitely makes a good cup of coffee.

I lean toward the V60 pour over ceramic lately, I also dial back the weight of the coffee a little bit, it seems to mellow it out and bring out more of the flavor and less if the bitterness of most coffees.
Dude, stop being poor and get a robot to pour into your V60 for you......

• Haha
Reactions: Kwe1982
The poor's drink that....

Ya, not drinking the cat shit coffee...I thought this 50$ a lb was it...I guess hillbillies will stay with their poors coffee...

I am just getting over Covid. My taste is screwed up and all coffee taste like a bitter grapefruit peel. FML. I was going to get a press for Christmas......I guess I won't.

I’m thinking of switching to buying whole beans and grinding them myself. I was not expecting such a broad range of grinders out there for sale. The only thing I know to look for is a burr grinder. What other features should I be looking for?

I don’t have a super refined sense of taste. I don’t want to buy junk, but I doubt I could tell the difference between coffee made using a $50 grinder versus a $500 grinder?

Also, is this why I see people weighing the beans rather than scooping? Too much variation in a scoop of whole beans compared to ground?

Thanks

I bought an IMI Goo grinder off Amazon. So far it’s a good grinder. I’m currently drinking Volcanica Columbian Supremo medium roast. Easy drinking full bodied coffee. Good place to start with beans.

Reactions: Steel head
I’m thinking of switching to buying whole beans and grinding them myself. I was not expecting such a broad range of grinders out there for sale. The only thing I know to look for is a burr grinder. What other features should I be looking for?

I don’t have a super refined sense of taste. I don’t want to buy junk, but I doubt I could tell the difference between coffee made using a $50 grinder versus a $500 grinder?

Also, is this why I see people weighing the beans rather than scooping? Too much variation in a scoop of whole beans compared to ground?

Thanks

Coffee is the same thing as reloading, when you find a recipe you like you want it to be repeatable.

With coffee it starts with weighing beans. If you've ever dumped a bunch out and really looked at them they are all different sizes. The only way to repeat a brew is to start with the same dosage by weight not volume.

Coffee is made by extracting compounds, both desirable and non, from the grounds by immersion in hot water. The more consistently sized the coffee grinds are the more even and consistent the extraction will be. Cheap grinders will produce more small and large outliers. Fines (the smaller than desired grinds) will over extract and create bitter and astringent flavors. Under extraction on larger particles create sour and sharp flavors.

Higher quality grinders with good burrs (the type and size determined by your brew method of choice) will generally provide more consistent grinds and lower retention.

Are you planning to brew primarily drip coffee from a machine?

Coffee is the same thing as reloading, when you find a recipe you like you want it to be repeatable.

With coffee it starts with weighing beans. If you've ever dumped a bunch out and really looked at them they are all different sizes. The only way to repeat a brew is to start with the same dosage by weight not volume.

Coffee is made by extracting compounds, both desirable and non, from the grounds by immersion in hot water. The more consistently sized the coffee grinds are the more even and consistent the extraction will be. Cheap grinders will produce more small and large outliers. Fines (the smaller than desired grinds) will over extract and create bitter and astringent flavors. Under extraction on larger particles create sour and sharp flavors.

Higher quality grinders with good burrs (the type and size determined by your brew method of choice) will generally provide more consistent grinds and lower retention.

Are you planning to brew primarily drip coffee from a machine?
I don’t even own a drip coffee maker. The water at our last house was so hard that they clogged after a few weeks. I’ve been using a French press for close to 20 years but just got an AeroPress in December. The coarse grind that works in the French press doesn’t seem to work that well in the AeroPress. Buying 2 different grinds doesn’t make sense. Whole beans ground for how I’m going to make the coffee right now makes more sense.

Going with your reloading analogy, I don’t need to spend Prometheus money if I’m happy with my chargemaster. Same with grinder. I don’t want to buy junk. But I also don’t want to spend extra for features I don’t need or a level of grind difference I can’t distinguish.

I’ve read dozens of reviews. And some of the expensive grinders have some pretty bad reviews. And that’s where I’m stuck.

Thanks
You don’t need a $500 grinder
It like a lot of things it’s a case of diminishing returns.
A 80-120 dollar grinder gets you a lot for the $$$
Look at a time more C2 or the 1zpresso JX range of grinders.

If you want consistent brews a scale is almost a must, don’t need a fancy one.
Time is also important, timer on phone covers that.

I don’t even own a drip coffee maker. The water at our last house was so hard that they clogged after a few weeks. I’ve been using a French press for close to 20 years but just got an AeroPress in December. The coarse grind that works in the French press doesn’t seem to work that well in the AeroPress. Buying 2 different grinds doesn’t make sense. Whole beans ground for how I’m going to make the coffee right now makes more sense.

Going with your reloading analogy, I don’t need to spend Prometheus money if I’m happy with my chargemaster. Same with grinder. I don’t want to buy junk. But I also don’t want to spend extra for features I don’t need or a level of grind difference I can’t distinguish.

I’ve read dozens of reviews. And some of the expensive grinders have some pretty bad reviews. And that’s where I’m stuck.
In transit or I would provide more details, but I would recommend one of the following

Baratza Encore
Lagom Mini (48mm)

The Baratza is sort of the gold standard in non-espresso home grinder and comes in at a very reasonable price point.

So took a chance on a recommendation...damn you all for contributing to my new bad habit!
20220129_202406.jpg

It’s an addiction. Btw I’m all about volcanica coffees. Personal favorite is their Columbian Supremo.

I've got everything to make a killer cup of coffee.
The only problem is finding the *good* coffee, beans or ground.
Like AverageGuy just said....Colombian Supremo.
I've tried hundreds of brands and nothing is close to the coffee beans I used to get 20 or so years ago and it was everywhere at the time.
Yes I've been to Colombia and know what it's supposed to taste like.
I honestly think they (coffee importers) are not so honest about labeling.
Yes I can find something close to the real deal, it just tastes watered down like they are drug dealers cutting the good stuff with the cheap stuff to make more profit.
Every time I go into a store to buy coffee I always give the bag a gentle squeeze and sniff it at the vent device on the bag.....and that's how I buy coffee these days.
I honestly no longer care about price, brand, labeling, whatever. I just want real Colombian Supremo dammit.
And for the record, yes I've tried the Volcanic stuff y'all are raving about, same deal, like watered down Colombian.

I ordered some Volcanica Panama Boquete and some Brazilian Peaberry from Smokin' Beans. Both make an exceptional cup of coffee. I think the Boquete just ever so slightly tops the Peaberry for me, but they're both incredible! If you like medium to medium dark roasts with notes of milk chocolate, Caramel, brown sugar, you'll love either of the two.

I've got everything to make a killer cup of coffee.
The only problem is finding the *good* coffee, beans or ground.
Like AverageGuy just said....Colombian Supremo.
I've tried hundreds of brands and nothing is close to the coffee beans I used to get 20 or so years ago and it was everywhere at the time.
Yes I've been to Colombia and know what it's supposed to taste like.
I honestly think they (coffee importers) are not so honest about labeling.
Yes I can find something close to the real deal, it just tastes watered down like they are drug dealers cutting the good stuff with the cheap stuff to make more profit.
Every time I go into a store to buy coffee I always give the bag a gentle squeeze and sniff it at the vent device on the bag.....and that's how I buy coffee these days.
I honestly no longer care about price, brand, labeling, whatever. I just want real Colombian Supremo dammit.
And for the record, yes I've tried the Volcanic stuff y'all are raving about, same deal, like watered down Colombian.

There Colombian Supreme is pretty good, The Guatemalan Santa Rosa is one of my favorites from them.

That Costa Rica geisha is pretty good isn’t it?
I tried the Costa Rica Geisha this weekend and really liked it. I also tried the Kenya AA and liked that as well, but not as much. I have a Capresso burr grinder that is okay and I do French press or pour over and have even tried a combination where I steep the coffee in the press, then filter it in the Chemex carafe. I like my coffee on the strong side and sometimes the pour over doesn't extract enough flavor for me. I do like the smoothness of the pour over vs the press. How many grams of coffee do you use per how many ounces of water?

Depending on the coffee and method 14-1 to 16-1 water to coffee.
For lighter roasts especially in pour over try just off boiling water and a stronger ratio and or grind.

Reactions: Mike Ryan
So it makes cold coffee, then you microwave it? Looking at getting one for my wife even though she likes the drip makers.

Didn't know that there were any overt coffee nerds on SH... This just got interesting!
When my pistolsmith mentioned how BRCC wasn't anything special and definitely not gourmet coffee, I jokingly asked 'What are you, one of those gourmet coffee snobs and use one of those French presses?'

There was a dead silence and he answered "Yes I do.'

• Haha
Reactions: lariat and Leftie
So it makes cold coffee, then you microwave it? Looking at getting one for my wife even though she likes the drip makers.
More like a mini French press but with better filtration.
Pour in hot water, seep then press out delicious goodness.

More like a mini French press but with better filtration.
Pour in hot water, seep then press out delicious goodness.
Hot water makes sense lol. Looking on amazon the description says it does, espresso, americano, and cold brew style. I'll have to get one and try it out for her.

I'm not a coffee drinker but I've always heard that french presses and other similar devices make a better cup of coffee.
She like the quick convenience of the drip machine. Will just have to get her one and test it out for her.

I have a Keurig that leaks all over the counter. As soon as I use the last coffee pod up it's going in the trash and I'm unboxing a Mr. Coffee drip system sitting here. When I stumble into the kitchen of a morning I'm on auto-pilot and need to keep it simple.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
I have a Keurig that leaks all over the counter. As soon as I use the last coffee pod up it's going in the trash and I'm unboxing a Mr. Coffee drip system sitting here. When I stumble into the kitchen of a morning I'm on auto-pilot and need to keep it simple.
That's why she like it. Especially since it can be programmed and be brewed and ready when she gets up.

Reactions: TexPatriot
This seems like a common problem with the Keurigs. I ended up using silicone around the bottom of the reservoir which fixed the leak, just have to fill it up using a pitcher now which is no big deal. The keurig makes pretty shit coffee, and i always have a ton of coffee sediment at the bottom of my cup, but it's quick and easy when i just need a cup of folgers to go in the morning and it's -30 out and i just need caffeine for the 40 minute drive to work at 5:30am. I have the aeropress but i keep it at work where I am not in a rush and can take the time to make a single cup with actual good coffee like Volcanica.

Enjoying some Columbian Geisha this morning. Damn fine coffee , nice change from the Ethiopian kick I’ve been on for awhile.

Made the coffee with the Aeropress for my wife this morning. She says it tastes a litter better but isn't super giddy or over the moon about it. She notices that it is less bitter though, which is the purpose I guess.

So picked up some Columbian Supremo from Volcanica...Not bad, still prefer the Brazillian Estate over the CS...Butttt, It's all better than some of the other shit out there!
So after trying 4 roasts from Volcancia, here's my picks:
CRG
BE
CS
Ethopian poors

Reactions: Average guy
Made the coffee with the Aeropress for my wife this morning. She says it tastes a litter better but isn't super giddy or over the moon about it. She notices that it is less bitter though, which is the purpose I guess.
The wifes supposed to be making you coffee. Therein lies the problem.

The wife picked up some Don Pablo Columbian Supremo. Little darker roast than volcanica. Very good flavor.

I've always avoided my French press because of the clean up no matter how much better the coffee is.
How is this for clean up?
Whats the big deal with clean up. Remove the press and rinse, throw grounds out the back door onto the compost heap. Rinse. done.

I love my AeroPress! I use it every morning, sometimes twice on weekends.

My favorite brew so far is a mix of Medium and Dark roasts from Sally Sue's. Recipe is as follows:

Inverted method
10g Medium + 15g Dark; grind on medium-fine
Water: 409g
Water temp: 186 - 189 degF
Add ~115g hot water to the Aero Press & grounds
Let bloom for 30s
Stir ~8 seconds
Fill remainder of Aero Press chamber with hot water, totalling roughly 230g
Set timer 2m30s

While waiting, run HOT tap water and fill mug 2x to pre-heat.
Insert filter in Aero Press cap, lightly wet and press into place.

When timer ends, return heat to remaining water.
Empty mug
Flip Aero Press upside on mug and get to pressing!
Once fully evacuated, I like to spin the Aero Press 1/8 of a turn and Press solidly on the plunger, really get all the juice out.

Water should be done, check for temperature 186 - 189 degF; remove heat.
Add remaining water to mug.

Enjoy while shitposting on SH.

My 2 go to recipes . The 30g recipe is the best but gets expensive. Both are GTG. A good grinder helps . I use a Niche or a Forte. Lots of good beans out there. A couple to check out are Perc coffee or Cuckoo coffee for beans . Light roast is works best IMO. Coffee gear is like gun gear - but once cry once.
38F1BA50-B3C4-40F3-8C0E-3933B28001FC.png
5B4DF0AE-CDE7-410A-8E2E-92D55A47564A.png

Dumb question. Are the recipes we are all used to simply doubled with the XL? Does the time change?

Should be fun to play with and find out.

Question for the coffee experts here, are the 100.00 ish burr grinders decent or is it worth spending more?

For a guy who loves a good cup of coffee but also enjoys the shit hotels and truck stops serve up at 4:00 am.