AeroPress coffee

I threw an Aeropress on an order of green coffee beans form cafe Kreyol this summer and tried it when I got it. Decided it was a lot easier to use the keurig and fill my own pods and I put the Aeropress in the cupboard. This thread motivated me to break it back out this am and give it a try. It does make some dang good coffee.

If I had to give an award to the worst tasting method to make coffee, it would be keurig
I cant disagree, if you are buying k cups at the grocery store. I have found a solution that when combined with my fresh home roasted coffee makes an acceptable cup for when I am heading out the door in 5 minutes.

They hold about double the coffee of a standard kcup and I can fill them up right out of my grinder at home. So easy my 5 year old helps me do it.

I have tried filling my own k-cups with the refillable pods (not the same ones you linked to)

We will just agree to disagree as everyone's taste is different. It was just my opinion.

Making coffee is a science. Temperature of water, size of the ground, saturation, time to contact and I am probably missing a few things. The 'quality' of bean isn't in my equation at all. That comes after you get all the rest correct.

keurig is a clear miss on all important properties of the scientific data points ;)

I have tried filling my own k-cups with the refillable pods (not the same ones you linked to)

We will just agree to disagree as everyone's taste is different. It was just my opinion.

Making coffee is a science. Temperature of water, size of the ground, saturation, time to contact and I am probably missing a few things. The 'quality' of bean isn't in my equation at all. That comes after you get all the rest correct.

keurig is a clear miss on all important properties of the scientific data points ;)
Yea
Even with phenomenal beans the fill yourself k cups produce some pretty meh coffee.

.... How well made are these Aeropresses?
I got mine in 2016. I make 1-6 cups per day with it. I've replaced the gasket 3 times but otherwise it's still rocking.

I get my beans from De Espresso Liber. Nice selection of single origin, house blends and some gold star charity blends.

In my mailbox, from WA to GA 2-3 days after roasting.

Great reading everyone's techniques.

Reactions: MtnGhost
DA0F63F5-DE90-4334-8FE7-4F95F6155614.jpeg

This coffee is quite delicious!

That particular coffee I think is the best I’ve ever had.
It’s pretty Amazing
I had actually been looking at them either last year or the year before. Have you been happy with their service? The reason I ask is I saw a lot of positive reviews about the coffee, but also a lot of negative reviews from people saying they only received half their order and it took a while to get it corrected, if it ever did.

Reactions: Mkwyo
I had actually been looking at them either last year or the year before. Have you been happy with their service? The reason I ask is I saw a lot of positive reviews about the coffee, but also a lot of negative reviews from people saying they only received half their order and it took a while to get it corrected, if it ever did.
Always shipped fast and order 100%
And it’s always been roasted within a week of shipping

A new method I’ve been using
It’s from a brainiac in Canada

It’s definitely for those that like some 💪 ☕️ But is extremely tasty!

18 grams medium fine
265 grams of water adjusting temp for roast
Non inverted
Pour coffee in and level the bed.
Start timer
Pour in water half way up aeropress and stir gently side to side, not circular for 10 seconds
Pour in remaining water to 265ish grams.
Set plunger to stop water flow
Push lightly at 9 minutes.

• Wow
Reactions: Makinchips208
My AeroPress just arrived. Instructions are.... lacking.

The instructions seem to suggest only 10 seconds for steeping the coffee. That seems way too short?

I’m not setup for weighing everything, so it’s going to be scoops of coffee and ounces of water. The coffee is from what’s the buzz, French press grind. That being said, can anyone recommend a starting point?

I realize a grinder is probably in my future and a switch to buying whole beans. My main purpose for getting the AeroPress was for times that I don’t need a full pot. But after reading this thread, that might change. The situation where I think the AeroPress will be a pain is when I need to fill a thermos in the morning, and I’m in a hurry to get out the door.

Thanks!

Reactions: godofthunder
Since you have a coarse grind here is what I would try

Put on filter and set in cup
Pour in one scoop level with top (approx 13-14 grams)

Fill with water just off boiling for light or medium roast to the 4 line (approx 200 grams) and stir for 10 seconds
Side to side not circular
Put in plunger a bit to stop flow
Seep for 2 to 2:30 minutes and then push lightly

Reactions: sled_mack
My AeroPress just arrived. Instructions are.... lacking.

The instructions seem to suggest only 10 seconds for steeping the coffee. That seems way too short?

I’m not setup for weighing everything, so it’s going to be scoops of coffee and ounces of water. The coffee is from what’s the buzz, French press grind. That being said, can anyone recommend a starting point?

I realize a grinder is probably in my future and a switch to buying whole beans. My main purpose for getting the AeroPress was for times that I don’t need a full pot. But after reading this thread, that might change. The situation where I think the AeroPress will be a pain is when I need to fill a thermos in the morning, and I’m in a hurry to get out the door.

Thanks!
I just bought a Krups burr grinder, the directions specifically spell out a setting for the aero press, just above espresso grind.

Reactions: sled_mack
I’ll give that a try. I think I’ll also have to adjust my drinking habits a bit. Right now I make a pot, put about a third in a travel mug that keeps it hot a long time and the rest in a thermos for the day. I do this even when I’m working from home. The travel mug holds just under 20 ounces.

I’ll get single cups figured out first. Then maybe think about scaling things up.

Thanks

Maybe you should start an espresso thread and foo foo drinks thread instead of pee pee compensation pics in a budget coffee machine thread?

That seems aggressive.

I have an Aeropress, wife took it on deployment recently. Obviously flair doesn't equate to aeropress across several variables. But if I am driving for work and have a car for overnight, i defer to bringing the flair. Pull a double, add hot water, got a great americano.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
@Steel head

Since I've always done my brew inverted, what's the purpose of going non-inverted? I've honestly never tried it, since I never thought it would make a difference. I saw you mention it in your Canadian brainiac post so I figured I'd ask

@Steel head

Since I've always done my brew inverted, what's the purpose of going non-inverted? I've honestly never tried it, since I never thought it would make a difference. I saw you mention it in your Canadian brainiac post so I figured I'd ask
You gain a bit more capacity, about 20% and you can get a better bed of grounds to press through.
The extra volume is nice, the bed quality is more subtle, some of my coffees I think I prefer inverted and some I like the other way.