• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

affordable accurate semi-auto recommendations?

skycracksopen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
colorado
Hi, I'm new here (obviously), but I'm looking to get into the sport.

The problem is, I don't know a whole lot about guns yet. I've looked around a bit, and talked to a few people, but I was wondering if anybody here has any recommendations.

Here are a few of the features I would want my future gun purchase to have:

-semi automatic
-medium range sniper rifle
-less than $2000, but if it's something really nice i might go for more
-affordable ammunition. doesn't have to be really cheap, but i preferably don't want to be spending $1+ per round
-i'm going to want optics for it as well

Of the guns I've researched, the one I am most interested in is the M39 EMR. But at $4000, I would have to save up for quite a while to be able to afford it.

I also admittedly like guns like the Russian Vintorez, even though most people here probably dislike Russian guns!

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Moderators, if this topic is in the wrong sub-forum, I apologize.

Re: affordable accurate semi-auto recommendations?

First off, welcome to the Hide

Give the DPMS LR308 a close look, very capable out of the box, can be easily modified to suit your needs as you get farther along in the sport. If you plan on reloading (which I would), there is a great sticky post in the reloading section to help you get started, reloading has its initial cost increase over purchasing loaded ammo, but will make shooting more affordable latter. As far as optics go, it is equally as important as the rifle purchase, if not more. A rifle can be accurized, parts bolted on or changed, but optics is a one time purchase.

Do lots of reading, use the search function, and find what best suits your needs and budget. You could be into a complete rig using the LR308 with quality optics for around $2400.

Kirk R

I have shot both DPMS and Armalite 308's. Both have shot very good. I currently have a Armalite SASS as my only ar10. A break or can helps control recoil. There have been several of each for sale here on the hide. Armalite seems to be the choice for those upgrading, but I liked my DPMS and my buddies have them and like them.

+1 on the Armalite, and the guidance on reloading. I own two Armaltes (NM 15 and 10-T) and I don't envy anyone at the range or in the field, except the guy with the Armalite SASS. In my AO they are not are many on the shelf as DPMS or some others, but that's my AO.

Time was, .223 ammo was so cheap that I didn't reload it, but now, via Midsouth Shooters and range brass, I load .223 for .24 a round, and .308 using range brass for .56 a round.

As you get into it and get a case of BRD or a good bolt stick, get a Dillon 550 and go for it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Out of curiosity, why are optics a one time purchase? Are you just saying that the smart thing to do is buy really good optics the first time so you never have to buy them again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy an Armalite. Don't look back. </div></div>

+1

The trick for you is getting all the necessary gear within your budget. If you've got $2k to spend on a gun, do you also have $2k to spend on a scope? Or is $2k the total for the whole rig? In the precision game, optics play an enormous role in your ability to drop targets.

If I were doing a starting 308 gas gun rig, I'd get an Armalite AR-10 base model and put a Nightforce scope in a Larue mount. You look around Gunbroker and you can pick the AR-10s up fairly reasonably.

Also, how much experience do you have shooting? If you can shoot really well, then maybe step up from the base model to an AR-10T, or even an SASS. But most people who are starting out are still honing fundamentals. Whenever we're shooting at the range, I'll always tell my guys that it's not the bow that matters...it's the Indian that really counts. Just my 2 cents.

I'm very new to shooting. I've only shot 22's. Admittedly, this is a lot of money for somebody with such little experience to spending, but I'm pretty sure that if I buy the right gun, I'll enjoy it enough to stick with it.

Even though my full budget right now is $2k, I'm the kind of person that would hold off on buying for a few months until my budget is higher. edit: for a scope or more expensive gun

I'd rather wait for something great than have something that is just "good" right now.

Not a true "sniper" rifle - but used as Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) a lot: Russian SVD or Romanian PSL-54C (Romak-3). Caliber 7.62x54R. Decent (though not very accurate) PSL rifle for about $400-$600, plus - if you don't like the PSO scope that comes with it - a decent scope with properly illuminated reticle (e.g. POSP) for about $200. Ammo is quite affordable. Reliability is high. Scope is marked for 1200m (man-size targets).

(I wouldn't call DPMS a sniper rifle either - more like DMR)

Well, all 3 Armalite AR10Ts I have owned didnt shoot any better than the factory LR308s I have shoot, and are a good bit more $$ than the DPMS. I prefer the mag system of the DPMS as well, prefernce I guess.

As far as optics, only advice is to buy the best optics you can afford that suit your needs.

Kirk R

Yeah, I love the SVD, but I've heard from several friends that ammo is hard to come by in America.

But I suppose that in the age of the internet, it's not that hard to come by things like that. I just might not be able to find it in local stores.

Sky: The shell, case, brass will get dinged, and brass inspection is part of the inspection that you do in the reloading process. I'd say less than 1 in 10 cases are bent to the point where you would not use them. Reloading is a science unto itself, but the basic quality ammo at an affordable price is what gets most of us into it. Then you'll find guys who swear it has to be super brass from Lapua, or otherwise made by the brass-god for it to give you the results you want. To get trigger time and become a proficient shooter, the basic reloading sequences in any good manual, or right here in the reloading section of the Hide will do. While I have not used the "upscale brass" it probably has an effect that I have not yet measured. Full-lenght sizing, timming to spec has given me as much as I expect for the accurracy I am capable of, at the range I shoot.

You'll get the terms right in a short-short. Brass will wear out, stretch, and become unserviceable in time, and quicker if you load it to max.

Get a stick that suits you (fit, price, quality) get into reloding ASAP, get as much trigger time as you can. Read the info here and you'll get it straight. CAUTION: DO NOT get ahead of your game. There are members here (Veterans in the rifle game)that seek extreme accuracy, and go the limit to get it. Take it one step at a time, you can get there, but most will agree, solid equipment and trigger time will make the difference.

Do you mean don't get ahead of my game in terms of what gun I purchase? Or more in terms of my own skills?

Edit: Or I suppose I could get a nice gun now, and then wait until I have more experience to upgrade the parts of it. Is that what you mean?

An AR-15 with a White Oak upper (1-8" twist) upper makes for a good, accurate, reasonably affordable rifle. It is good well beyond 600m.

Do you guys gather the ammo after you shoot even when you go to a shooting range?

I imagine that it would be rather inconvenient, unless you waited until the end of your entire session and grabbed as much as you can during a cease fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, all 3 Armalite AR10Ts I have owned didnt shoot any better than the factory LR308s I have shoot, and are a good bit more $$ than the DPMS. I prefer the mag system of the DPMS as well, prefernce I guess.

As far as optics, only advice is to buy the best optics you can afford that suit your needs.

Kirk R </div></div>

What about the tigger? I'm partial to Armalite triggers. Maybe cuz it's my first and only .308 in semi?? Not to mention, in .308 the uppers don't fit lowers as they do with AR-15's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skycracksopen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

-semi automatic
-affordable ammunition. doesn't have to be really cheap, but i preferably don't want to be spending $1+ per round
-i'm going to want optics for it as well

Of the guns I've researched, the one I am most interested in is the M39 EMR. But at $4000, I would have to save up for quite a while to be able to afford it.
</div></div>

You can get a top notch AR-15 with 20"-24" barrel for well under $2k. If you don't already own one, this is what I'd recommend. Very accurate, reliable, cost-effective, and shoots extremely well out to 600 yards. AR-10 platforms are more expensive to acquire, feed, and maintain.

Try this:
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

or this:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100

or this: http://www.compasslake.com/service.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What about the tigger? I'm partial to Armalite triggers. Maybe cuz it's my first and only .308 in semi?? Not to mention, in .308 the uppers don't fit lowers as they do with AR-15's</div></div>

I always scrap the factory trigger and run Geissele or Jewell triggers. I will say, the Armalite factory 2 stage is far better than the factory LR308 unit.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skycracksopen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean don't get ahead of my game in terms of what gun I purchase? Or more in terms of my own skills?

Edit: Or I suppose I could get a nice gun now, and then wait until I have more experience to upgrade the parts of it. Is that what you mean? </div></div>

Member just posted that he has had 3 Armalites, and while they cost more, they didn't shoot any better than his DPMS LR308. Ahead of your game refers to equipment. Probably more a factor in semi .308's than AR-15's. A DPMS LR 308 upper will not work on my AR-10-T lower. But the DPMS 24" heavy Bull, shoots 1/2 or less moa on my Armalite NM 15 lower. We all have our experiences, and our preferences, you will develop that too.

What I have come to in recent years is that to beat one manufacturer or another in a factory stick, you have to do a build, or buy custom. So while I swear by Armalite, and they do cost more, another member finds a less expensive verion to be acceptable. Your shooting will be what you put into it.

Now wait until you get into the optics game. Burris, Nightforce, Leo, you can really go nuts and broke (smiling)with that. You're waiting to spend, instead of spending time shooting. I'm adding a 18" tube on my Armalite lower. Noveske is the after-market s#^t for Armalite. The upper will cost me more than I paid for the whole stick. I work for a living, so you see where I'm going with don't get ahead of your game. As in BMW 325, 535, 635, or 760. They are all BMW's and they will all get you to your destination, but they don't cost the same.

This all seems a lot more complicated than I expected... haha

I didn't realize that rifles had so many customizable options.

I have a lot to think about and research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What about the tigger? I'm partial to Armalite triggers. Maybe cuz it's my first and only .308 in semi?? Not to mention, in .308 the uppers don't fit lowers as they do with AR-15's</div></div>

I always scrap the factory trigger and run Geissele or Jewell triggers. I will say, the Armalite factory 2 stage is far better than the factory LR308 unit.

I am happy to hear that my motion has at least one second.

I was attempting keep SKY from being overwhelmed by all the recommendations here. Lots of experience here, with different takes on the same issue. I have made no changes to my Armalite lowers, but I scraped a Bushmaster trigger for a two-stage on my 16" and never looked back. I am going to put Magpul PRS's on both Armalite lowers soon. There goes another $500 plus to the treatment of BRD.

Kirk R </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skycracksopen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This all seems a lot more complicated than I expected... haha

I didn't realize that rifles had so many customizable options.

I have a lot to think about and research. </div></div>

Welcome to those afflicted by BRD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An AR-15 with a White Oak upper (1-8" twist) upper makes for a good, accurate, reasonably affordable rifle. It is good well beyond 600m. </div></div>

I have a WOA 18" bbl on one of my AR builds and it shoots lights out! (mine has a 1-7 twist instead of the 1-8 and it loves 69gr + 77gr. SMK handloads.)

By far one of the best/most accurate AR barrels I ever shot. Any new .223 AR build I do in the future will have another one of these.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here is a pic of it</span>. ( I would like to replace the TA01NSN Acog with something with a bit more magnification (10X).

445.jpg

77.jpg

I was in a similar position to you a month or so ago. I had around $2k to buy the rifle I wanted to learn how to shoot long distances. I knew i wanted Semi-Auto, and I wanted a .308. I looked around, and ended up getting a DPMS LRT-SASS for right around $2k shipped/transferred brand new. It looked exactly like something i had envisioned, reviews for it are pretty good, comes with some nice accessories. All I needed to do was buy the scope seperely which I just did, and got the Sightron SIII 6-24x50M Mil-Dot and LOVE IT. Here is my current build right after I mounted the scope. I wont lie, I havent gotten to shoot it yet, just joined a range last week with 600 yard targets and they are building a 1,000 yard one as we speak. Hopefully will get up there in a few weeks to sight it in and start the learning process.

Take a look at the DPMS SASS as a good starting place.
photo.jpg

Excuse the crappy iPhone quality pic, it was all I had at the time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since your Original Post referred to medium range, I'd be inclined to suggest you skip the .308 stuff entirely and go with an accurate .223 AR. I suggest you check out Compass Lake Engineering. If and when the time comes to go out to the Big K, then consider the DPMS LR-260.

Greg </div></div>
+1...that's what I was trying to say earlier. Since you are new, stick with simple: AR-15.

+1 on CLE and buy the book Black Magic, tons of loads with 40grs up to 80grs.
The easiest way to get into AR's

I am reading another AR book by Zediker that is also very instructive

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since your Original Post referred to medium range, I'd be inclined to suggest you skip the .308 stuff entirely and go with an accurate .223 AR.
Greg</div></div>

Well medium range was kind of a guess. Isn't medium range about 300-600 yards?

I obviously don't need something that can shoot a mile, because I will never have that kind of skill. And I also don't want something that that will only shoot the length of a football field accurately.

So I assumed that medium range was 300-600 yards.

The .223 will get out to 600 pretty easily. Lots of guys shooting the .223 out to 1,000.

Plus it is quite a bit cheaper to shoot and practice with then a .308.

I <span style="text-decoration: underline">personally</span> am negatively partial to AR-15 (and M-16). I've never tried it on long (for it) distances like 800+m, but people who know more than I do suggest that this cartridge limitations won't allow good accuracy beyond 800m.

For more precise work around 1000m I'd lean towards 308 kind of calibers. Between 600m and 800m - don't know. 600m and closer - 223 does a good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I love the SVD, but I've heard from several friends that ammo is hard to come by in America.</div></div>
I disagree. Check on the 'Net - you'll find plenty, and at a decent price too (usually 7.62x54R is cheaper than 308 Win).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I <span style="text-decoration: underline">personally</span> am negatively partial to AR-15 (and M-16). I've never tried it on long (for it) distances like 800+m, but people who know more than I do suggest that this cartridge limitations won't allow good accuracy beyond 800m.

For more precise work around 1000m I'd lean towards 308 kind of calibers. Between 600m and 800m - don't know. 600m and closer - 223 does a good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I love the SVD, but I've heard from several friends that ammo is hard to come by in America.</div></div>
I disagree. Check on the 'Net - you'll find plenty, and at a decent price too (usually 7.62x54R is cheaper than 308 Win). </div></div>

308 and 223 ballistics are almost the same out to 600 yards, with a small edge to the 308 at 1K yards.

80gr SMK w/ 2600 MV: 1K yards, 1150 vel, 402in drop & 111in drift (10mph crosswind)
168gr SMK w/ 2700 MV: 1k yards, 1226vel, 363in drop & 100in drift (10mph crosswind)

80gr SMK @600 yd: 1614vel, 88in drop, 34in drift
168gr SMK @600 yd: 1704vel, 81in drop, 31in drift

For cheap and simple out to 600 yards, 223 is a great choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An AR-15 with a White Oak upper (1-8" twist) upper makes for a good, accurate, reasonably affordable rifle. It is good well beyond 600m.</div></div>

+1 on this post. The AR-15 with a WOA upper would be a great start. It'll keep you busy for a long time and there are plenty of upgrade parts that can be easily changed out. I would go with an 18"-20" barrel in 1-8 or 1-7 twist. If you start reloading (which I recommend) there are a variety of components you could use to make a very accurate cartridge.

Welcome to the Hide. It is a great resource. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who well help you develop your skills. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skycracksopen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

-semi automatic
-affordable ammunition.

Of the guns I've researched, <span style="font-weight: bold">the one I am most interested in is the M39 EMR</span>. </div></div>

The M39 EMR is an awesome system and it will reach beyond medium range, but the correct EMR scope alone will blow most, if not all of your budget.

Photoheader.jpg

If I were in your position I would purchase a nice all GI LRB M14 or an unmolested Poly Tech M14 and learn the iron sights while saving up for a SAGE EBR stock. Once I had the stock I would save up for the scope, rings and mount. If I purchased a Poly Tech I would save up for a GI bolt conversion and a few additional upgrades.

Only after I had accumulated all that I need I would install the rifle in my EBR stock, mount the optics and enjoy my M14 EBR.

Another option that is well suited to medium range work would include one of SEI's 18.0" medium heavy Crazy Horse barrels.
This rifle is known as the sub MOA MK14 SEI.

MK14SEICHMod0.jpg

I will say after shooting a m14 ebr in a combat zone you DO NOT want the sage stock. the chassis from troy industries is far superior. We had problems with the stock the entire time we has it. First off the scope rail is attached to the non free floating handguard's top rail which was always shooting loose and losing zero. also the attachment from the stock to the gas block has a screw for tension on the barrel and if you want to take the weapon apart everything has to come off. the tension screw is impossible to get exactly the same as there is no specific torque just slight tension. The M1A is a great platform however it is a pretty costly set up and I think right now at least for me I would go with a nice ar15 with an 18-20 inch barrel. or for a 308 a dpms. just my .02

If you want optics on your rifle, you go with an AR.
If you don't want to worry about load development and bending rods, you go with an AR.
If you want an aftermarket trigger that you can tune yourself, you go with an AR.

If your just learning about rifles and don't no exactly what you need, the AR will allow you to upgrade and modify all components to suit your needs

If you want to develop a long relationship with your gunsmith, you go with an M14

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had problems with the stock the entire time we has it. </div></div>

When did you have the EBR, what year(s)??

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we had them 09-10 two rifles both had issues </div></div>

Do you know what variant they were and who built them?

Do you have any pictures of them?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you want to develop a long relationship with your gunsmith, you go with an M14 </div></div>

That's funny... not factual, just funny.

SKY: I was trying to warn you. See all the opinons you get here, and no-one is wrong. It's about the choices you make.

I had the choice between an M1A-NM (M-14) and an AR-10, go AR-10 or LR 308, if you're looking at the 7.62/.308 caliber. Even though the pix above show a modified M-14 sniper system, others will show a Knights system, which was designed by Stoner, who is the man behind the AR style 7.62/.308. AR does in fact stand for Armalite Rifle, not Auto-Rifle.

For a .223/5.56 AR-15, just get a 1:8 or 1:7 twist. They allow you to shoot heavier bullets for the 600+ yards you may be interested in. The beauty of the AR-15 is what you can do to/with it. I have 16, 20, and 24 inch uppers from 3 different manufacturers. They are all GTG, for what I have them for. Changing the upper is a minute, and as you may know, changing the upper can mean changing the caliber too. Just a great platform!

There's no bad advice here, but if you're new, it's overwhelming,and can be damn expensive. I think the only thing more expensive than too many AR's, and there's no such thing, is too many women. (Smiling)

Get a good quality AR in an 18-20", put a good trigger in it, start reloading, and shoot as often as time permits. If you're married, get the wife into it; then you won't have to sneak all those AR's in the house, and she won't bitch when you ask for space to set-up your reloading bench. You will have time to get more uppers, build a complete stick, buy aftermarket stuff, spend your money in the future, just get started.

gnfiter, US Army. Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, Remington, Sako, Vore, Winchester, Colt, Glock, S&W, Springfield, somebody stop me!

I bet that there's no one on this site, that will disagree with this post??

Of the guns I've researched, <span style="font-weight: bold">the one I am most interested in</span> is the M39 EMR. </div></div>

My recommendation is that you find a way to get the gun you are most interested in.

I've read that M39 EMRs are about $4000. Is that with the optics included?

If so, I may be able to swing that kind of cost in a few months. If not, I would probably go with something a little cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you want to develop a long relationship with your gunsmith, you go with an M14 </div></div>

That's funny... not factual, just funny. </div></div>

Actually, that is quite factual. M16s are way easier to get to shoot and not finicky at all. M14s.....errr go do some more homework on that subject.

I got into the ar platform about 4 years ago, and I decided to get a Bushmaster Varminter. I think that it was the best purchase I could of bought. I paid 1050 for it, and it came with 24" barrel, free floating handguard, and match grade trigger (still the best trigger I have shot with so far). It only has a 1 in 9 twist, so 70 grains is about the most you could shoot, but I have heard of people getting good accuracy up to 75 grain. It shoots under an inch at 200 yards with black hills 68 gr match hollowpoints. It is the reason I fell in love with the ar platform. I now have a dpms lr-308 in 308, and a dpms lr-308 in 300 wsm. You could read a good review on the Varminter on gunblast.com Good starter weapon in my mind, and plenty of room to buy a good scope. I have a Burris Black Diamond scope on it that cost about 700 dollars and love it. Just my 2 cents

I know all people are different but one thing to keep in mind. If you settle for something are you just going to end up getting rid of it later to get what you really had your heart set on in the first place? I think H20 is right get the gun you are most interested in and for good or worse you can go from there truly satisfied. If you settle for something else with you regret it? All fine points and to each his own.

Personally I would get a AR 10 either GAP,Larue,Or Lmt