• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

After spending all that money do you wish...

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
You would have gotten a Vudoo V22 instead?

If your 22 is a precision rifle trainer, and you started with a base model like a CZ455 and upgraded from there do you look back and say "I should have just bought the V22 to begin with!"

Also, if you are a V22 owner, any buyer's remorse?

I'm about to start this journey, and I want to get it right.

I don't want to wait on the Tikka, so it's a CZ455 tacticool to start, or I'm going for the V22.

I want a rifle that feels like a rifle. I have a Ruger American predator 22 for my daughter, and even though it shoots well for an inexpensive rifle, it still feels "cheap" and toy-like.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Zero remorse on my vudoo. Easily the best rifle rifle purchase I’ve made, centerfire or rimfire.

If you like doing projects and we’re going to do a bunch of the work yourself, building a 455 or 10/22 is a good way to do it.

If you’re just going for accuracy and dependability without wanted to do a lot of work, just get the vudoo.

It’s also the perfect trainer for your centerfire, if that’s something that appeals to you.

Reactions: usafa77
OT a bit but I've never once regretted spending the big bucks on my 1827F!

I was just contemplating what a truly wonderful rifle it is in every way after shooting it on wednesday, then thinking to myself, this is my favorite rifle.

The Vudoo, I'd love one of those too, in my favorite chassis of course.

My point is that those buy once cry once rifles are worth every penny!

Was in a similar sisuation. I have a full blown Clark’s custom 10/22 in a Boyd’s Varmit stock to use as a trained. Accurate yes, similar ergonomics yes, but no bolt throw training. Looked at the Voodo and others and saw the bolt throw was short. So that pretty much killed it as a trainer as the mechanics of movement are off. Just like the 10/22 trainer. So I bought the Ruger Precision Rimfire for $400. Same bolt throw length as a Standard Short action. Best accuracy I can get out of it is 1” at 50 yards. So I’m waiting on a replacement barrel from Lilja when available. About $400 for new barrel guaranteed 1 MOA. So for $800 I have the most ergonomically accuracy trainer per my sisuation. Just could not see spending all that money on the others and have ergonomic issues. I wanted a trainer as close to exact as my other rifles, this fit the bill. Hope this helps.

Reactions: shakin_bakin
I'm not sure how it happened, but over the years, I've accumulated several rimfires. I have a host of sporters from Remington, CZ, Cooper, Kimber and Anschutz. I've also ended up with quite a few trainers/varmint models, from a 54.18 Anschutz, to a FinnFire Range, Quad Range, FinnFire Varmint, Cooper 57M, CZ455 VPT, Suhl and Kimber SVT's, Varmint Classic and 82G, not to mention a KIDD or two.

I can't say I regret buying any of them. I could have purchased several Vudoo's for what I've invested in my collection, but the Vudoo's didn't exist when I picked up most of mine over the last 5 years.

I say all of that to say this...I can't guarantee you that a Vudoo will be my next rimfire, but I will have one before the end of the year. I have a weakness and a passion for nice .22's and the Vudoo is an itch I need to scratch.

Edited to add that at some point along the way, I plan to pick up an Anschutz 1827. Like the Vudoo, I haven't heard a single person who owns one of either complain about them, and in fact, all seem to love them dearly.

Last edited:
Hopefully, I can answer that question over the weekend. The answers here are pretty much what I gathered after watching the threads since they released them last fall. That is why I decided to break down and order mine last week. UPS delivered it today!

I have several CZs and have owned several other CZs that I didn’t keep. I love my CZs and they serve different purposes. I held off because of the same reason I own my CZs. I can get accuracy cheap with my CZs, without spending a lot of money. Buying this Vudoo to me was about more than just the accuracy. I just hope it lives up to my expectations, and since my expectations aren’t revolving solely around accuracy, I think I am safe. I still have to live up to my part for the accuracy.

The first thing I noticed when I pulled the Vudoo barreled action out of the box today, was “Wow! This is a different animal!”

I have four Remington 40Xs that Jonathan Elrod converted for me. I don't regret converting them to repeaters one bit.

I also have an Anschutz 1727. It replaced my 1827 because the 1827s suck to mount scopes on.

Maybe one day I will get a Vudoo, but for now I am happy.

I started with 10/22's in the 70's, walked away from shooting in the 90's, got back into it 2008 or so. CZ 455 tacticool was a big factor for me on really understanding ballistics and related conditions. I've got 8k+ rounds through it so far and am going to use it at an upcoming appleseed, so soon to be 8500+ rounds. I don't regret getting the CZ , it's reliable and it's magazines work. It needed bedding and pillars, an extended bolt knob, and an adjustable cheek rest to really be useful, but once that was all done, it was winning steel matches with a stock barrel and trigger (set to 1.5 lbs ). Maybe I got lucky with the factory barrel, it holds just a little over 5/8 inch at 50 yards or about 1.25-1.5 MOA, definitely not a bench rest rifle but way adequate for it's steel shooting application.

So $ wise, the CZ is very good on return with about $300 additional to get it to that state if you have someone else do the work. Figure another $6-900 for aftermarket barrel and bolt work to get it to the next level, but to get to the next higher level it's going to have to go to a quality smith like DJ and at that point you have $2-3k into it. I'll say this for the CZ, I am very comfortable with it and not afraid to put it through the ringer. It takes a lot of abuse and keeps shooting well. Kind of like having an old reliable car, you don't care if it gets door dings in the parking lot anymore and it just keeps going.

10/22 Road ended at the KIDD shop. That is where you will eventually go, or Volquertsen. Tony Kidd's work and products are just something to admire and they are accurate. Comparison to a factory 10/22 is not even fair, but you will be in the $12-1500 area depending on stock choice, more for an equivalent Volquartsen. Downfall of the platform is cleaning it. Dirt will cause malfunctions and magazines can cause issues when they get dirty or worn springs.

The Vudoo is in another class entirely, as well it should be as the difference in price is substantial. To date my only minor bitches with the vudoo have to do with weight and the Vudoo bottom metal mag release configuration. Weight is my fault as I should have ordered their mid sized barrel profile in 16" instead of the heavy kukri profile at 18", I'm at almost 14 pounds with optics and accessories and stock choice. Mag release needs to be extended in my opinion and Vudoo has reached out to me on this issue, I just need to act on it. Other than that, the Vudoo has been like driving a very high end performance luxury vehicle compared to an economy car. Both will get you from A to B, but one does a lot better on the track and the difference is compelling.

If I had to pare down to one .22, I'd grab the Vudoo, but the KIDD would be next.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800
Got a CZ 455 in a KRG. I WANT a Vudoo to put in an AIAT stock to match an upcoming AIAT.

If there was an AT stock (from AI or a wooden aftermarket) for the CZ, I’d be less inclined to get a V-22.

I will say I’ve had feeding problems with my one CZ 5 round magazine.

I have four Remington 40Xs that Jonathan Elrod converted for me. I don't regret converting them to repeaters one bit.

I also have an Anschutz 1727. It replaced my 1827 because the 1827s suck to mount scopes on.

Maybe one day I will get a Vudoo, but for now I am happy.

That's kinda true about the scope mounting on the 1827. Fortunately I have a short neck and I bought the extended LOP hardware for mine so that hurdle was resolved. I used a AI 28 moa one piece mount to get my scope forward enough. Actually I'd love a 1727 in my same stock with that heavier barrel. Half the reason I like the rifle so much is the beautiful stock, the balance and ergos.

Vudoo, carry on...

Well, i hope i havent wasted my time on a 455...

I have $500 into the rifle (tacticool model)
$100 into 419 rail $60 in Burris rings and $235 into a Athlon Talos BTR. In theory, that should
A reasonably decent complete setup for under $1k with some money left over for some bedding if needed.

I hope to use this setup as a fundamentals in marksmanship rifle for both me and my boys. I can see upgrading the barrel and maybe the stock in the future, but i also understand that if i really like shooting like this a Vudoo will be in my future and the 455 will likely sold or used as a thrid gun for bringing others to the range

Well, i hope i havent wasted my time on a 455...

I have $500 into the rifle (tacticool model)
$100 into 419 rail $60 in Burris rings and $235 into a Athlon Talos BTR. In theory, that should
A reasonably decent complete setup for under $1k with some money left over for some bedding if needed.

I hope to use this setup as a fundamentals in marksmanship rifle for both me and my boys. I can see upgrading the barrel and maybe the stock in the future, but i also understand that if i really like shooting like this a Vudoo will be in my future and the 455 will likely sold or used as a thrid gun for bringing others to the range

I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree that you aren't wasting time or money on a CZ455.

I know some of these rabbit holes we go down tend to be deeper than we intended.

My question is comparable to the Remington 700 upgraded and modified vs a custom action.

Today, most people will tell a shooter to buy the Bighorn Origin, ARC Nucleus, and now the new Defiance action over customizing a Remington. In the end, they may have as much or more in the 700 compared to just buying the custom to begin with.

So my question centers around that mindset.

A few people have commented that they don't regret spending money on XYZ - that really isn't my question.

My OP was "do you have buyer's remorse concerning the VODUU V22?"

That's a chunk of change to spend on a rimfire - not to mention a new company.

It seems all are happy with their purchases.

Why am I asking these questions? Good point.

I have up to 125 or so yard range right out my back door. Shooting a 223 and larger centerfires get quite boring. Plus, I have neighbors that the sound might irritate even though I live in a rural area.

My wife hates my 6.5 braked with an APA LB. She says it's "excessively" loud.

The more I shoot - the more I want to shoot quality.

So I figured why not get a really nice 22LR for shooting at home? I have a 300 yard range 45 minutes away, but I spend 99% of my range time in my backyard.

What I want is a rifle that is very accurate, quality built, and feels like a rifle - not a bb gun.

My thoughts are: CZ455 tacticool, CZ455 precision trainer with manners, Vudoo V22, or wait for the Tikka T1x.

I don't have to have anything right now, so I can wait.

Waiting is good for the soul.

i am one of the guys that spent a shit ton of money on a CZ455 and wish id just bought the V22 to start with and not because of accuracy issues or anything like that but because of the fact that the V22 is a remington foot print so all the goodies just bolt right on...i have a CZ455 in an MPA chassis that don smith did the full Monty on with a 2 stage Mr fly trigger that will be looking for a new home soon...the count down to VuDoo is at about 3-4wks now.

I'd like to see a CZ- Lilja top the sub 1/2" groups and 19/11 ES/SD of my V-22 18" Kukri Bartlein with $2.49 a box ammo.

I honestly hated the Grayboe A5 and was not a fan of their dbm.

700 footprint is a beautiful thing though, and a Manners EH1/PTG Stealth turned a clubby 12 pounder into a lively 10 pound marvel.

Everyone that pics it up seems to get an "oh shit" look on their face.

Here is a guess on what I have into my 455 ... prices are from memory.

VPT Rifle/Manner stock - $800
Dip Rail - $45 replaced with a 419 rail - $100
Lilja Barrel - $400
Yo Dave - $20 replaced with a Timney - $100 replaced with a Rifle Basix - $100
Bolt Knob - $75
Pillars Installed/Bedded - $75
Extra Mags, Bipod, Stock Pack, Paint, Duracoat, Misc Items - $200

I won't count the scope/rings/suppressor as they can be used on other rifles. So for I'm around $1900. Might be able to sell it for $1200. I have really enjoyed the process so I have no regrets. That said, I want a Vudoo. The CZ shoots well but not as great as I might expect for the effort. Live and Learn!

I’d also be sure you’re ready to go down this rabbit hole. It’s easy to buy something cheaper and then throw say and Athlon Argos on it.

It’s pretty hard to bring yourself mentally to putting a lower tier optic on a vudoo (or a cz you have invested close to an equivalent amount into).

The lowest quality optic I typically see on vudoos is a PST gen II or an Athlon Ares.

So, unless you have an optic already to put on there or swap between rifles, make sure you also budget accordingly for glass.

I’d also be sure you’re ready to go down this rabbit hole. It’s easy to buy something cheaper and then throw say and Athlon Argos on it.

It’s pretty hard to bring yourself mentally to putting a lower tier optic on a vudoo (or a cz you have invested close to an equivalent amount into).

The lowest quality optic I typically see on vudoos is a PST gen II or an Athlon Ares.

So, unless you have an optic already to put on there or swap between rifles, make sure you also budget accordingly for glass.

I agree with this idea 100% percent.

I have a 455 with a Talos on it. That seems reasonably appropriate for my intentions and what i expect the rifle to be. To throw that same Talos on a Vudoo seems almost disrepectful to the capabilities of the rifle.

Im still dealing with the sticker shock and wait of centerfire rifle setup and to have 2 $4k plus projects in the works is not in the budget.

Holy goodness. $1500+ on a 22? You guys must be banking. I'm an engineer, but maybe the wife and kids spend more of my money than I thought...

I'm quite satisfied with my Ruger 10/22 with a Boyds stock and Green Mountain barrel and $99 Bushnell AR223 3-9x40 scope. Shoots good groups with Wolf match ammo at 50 and 100 yards. Only shot steel at 200, but it did well with that too. Can't imagine dropping that kind of coin on a 22, but I'm glad you guys are all enjoying it. After looking at the website, it does appear to be a pretty sweet rifle. What model are most of you getting?

For the record, I also used to think it was silly to spend $1k on a scope, but I'm now the proud owner of an SWFA 5-20 HD, so I've been known to eat my words from time to time.

I have a full blown CZ455 djdilldon build. If given the choice between it and the V22 ( little more $$$) I'd go with the V22. The 700 foot print has so many drop-in options that are in stock and available right now. Accuracy, if either rifle is superior to the other, I doubt I would notice the difference. Im not a competion shooter so the last .03 is not a big deal.

Reactions: tansinator
Holy goodness. $1500+ on a 22? You guys must be banking. I'm an engineer, but maybe the wife and kids spend more of my money than I thought...

I'm quite satisfied with my Ruger 10/22 with a Boyds stock and Green Mountain barrel and $99 Bushnell AR223 3-9x40 scope. Shoots good groups with Wolf match ammo at 50 and 100 yards. Only shot steel at 200, but it did well with that too. Can't imagine dropping that kind of coin on a 22, but I'm glad you guys are all enjoying it. After looking at the website, it does appear to be a pretty sweet rifle. What model are most of you getting?

For the record, I also used to think it was silly to spend $1k on a scope, but I'm now the proud owner of an SWFA 5-20 HD, so I've been known to eat my words from time to time.

.22 is really evolving........and fast. We are shooting smaller and smaller targets; and the distances are getting further and further.

It seems like a lot to invest in a .22, but the ammo and barrel life savings over time utilizing it as a trainer will easily justify it in the long run.

I’ve had em all, worked on em all, and still build on many of them. What it all comes down to is budget, what your gonna do with it, and who builds it! For a competition gun a 455 built is hard to beat. It will never I mean never replicate your centerfire rig or drop into Remington 700 stocks etc. the same can be said for Anschutz rifles. The guns I build are not meant for that at all when built on a 455 action. They are made to shoot .2’s or better at 50 yards and function 100% in every way. A Vudoo or stiller are geared for Replicating your centerfire. Is a Vudoo perfect? Nope and neither is a stiller! The stiller is superior in terms of design for the best possible accuracy. It shares the foot print but the similarities end there. It’s not a mid lock like a Vudoo or 40x, it’s rear lock up which evolved over years of benchrest competition seeing the benefits. Both lugs are lapped from stiller. The ignition system is totally different on the stiller compared to a Vudoo or 40x which are pretty much the same. They are as consistent as it gets and the odds of getting one that vertically strings due to ignition is rare to none existent. Where the stiller sucks is the magazines. They use a savage setup which is terrible but I’m sure it could be converted to a Vudoo magazine which I will say right now is damn cool! Like always nothing is perfect but everything can be fixed to get it as close to perfect as possible. While the rifle below isn’t mine, I do got it in hand to play it and see what makes it tick :).

Attachments

• 29F0192E-713B-4A49-9C67-9159EC1AA9A2.jpeg
    29F0192E-713B-4A49-9C67-9159EC1AA9A2.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 221
If I was going to drop that kind of money, I would get an Annie 54 action and ask Don nicely to build you a rifle around the action. I bet it would be around the same price or less vs. vudoo.

I bought a CZ varmint for $450, sold the stock for 100, bought a Boyd's which Don pillared for me. Gun does one hole groups (albeit the hole is about the size of a dime). I'm very happy with this gun. I may drop it in a chassis or keep it in the Boyd's and glass bed it. The problem with the CZ is some shoot great, others not so great. It's a gamble. But, the ones that suck can be fixed, depends on you tolerance for fixing things.

They all have their weaknesses. The Vudoo I still have to pull the barrel to accurately measure headspace as I’m curious to see where it is. For perfection it has areas that need work just like a 54. The biggest issue on a 54 is the feeding and ejection. This particular Vudoo has no feeding issues yet that I have seen but it would be easy to fix it. The 54’s the mags can at times be a royal pain but it’s fixable. The ejection issue is also fixable. The strong point of the 54 is they have pretty darn good ignition for a factory action, usually are smooth as silk, fit and finish is excellent, and they aren’t too bad to work on. I need more time with the Vudoo to see where all It’s flaws are. I can see the obvious ones but I wanna pull the barrel to see if I can find anymore.

Ammo is the A#1 factor for me to make hits out past 250. There's nothing a different rifle would have hit that I missed with mine. Kind of like saying if I had that new Nightforce scope instead of my S&B I would have hit that last shot I missed.

Glad you guys enjoy the rifles, but I have no reason to chase one.

What about it do you prefer? Is it more accurate or cycles better? Smoother? I don't have experience with either, but I would go with the Annie myself, maybe its the history, not sure.

Both my Annies are single shots, Vudoo is a repeater. There use to be a guy doing repeater conversions on Annie's, but he no longer does them. Action is smoother on the Annie. Accuracy is dead even! Triggers are even to me as well.

They all have their weaknesses. The Vudoo I still have to pull the barrel to accurately measure headspace as I’m curious to see where it is. For perfection it has areas that need work just like a 54. The biggest issue on a 54 is the feeding and ejection. This particular Vudoo has no feeding issues yet that I have seen but it would be easy to fix it. The 54’s the mags can at times be a royal pain but it’s fixable. The ejection issue is also fixable. The strong point of the 54 is they have pretty darn good ignition for a factory action, usually are smooth as silk, fit and finish is excellent, and they aren’t too bad to work on. I need more time with the Vudoo to see where all It’s flaws are. I can see the obvious ones but I wanna pull the barrel to see if I can find anymore.

"Obvious ones"? Just curious, what flaws are you seeing? All I ever read is that a Vudoo is the Cat's Meow. I've seen some nice targets, but they are most likely cherry picked. Personally, I've witnessed failures to feed, failures to eject spent rounds and failures to eject live rounds. To be fair, I've never fired one, so unbiased assesments are always welcome before laying down that kind of cash.

Both lugs don’t make contact, only the bottom one does at about 80%. I can’t do nothing about it without doing a rebarrel. Don’t like the way the barrel on it slugs but that has nothing to do with the action. The ignition on this action needs work. It’s has a few flaws in that department but I can fix that with ease which will settle down the vertical. The stock needs to be bedded big time. Saturday I will do a full lot test with 17 lots of R50 the way it sits. I also have Eley match as back up. When I get the best lot I’ll do multiple 5 shot groups to get an average for accuracy. Then I will fix the ignition and bedding. If that doesn’t get it where I want, barrel must go and then I’ll fix the lugs with a new barrel.

"Obvious ones"? Just curious, what flaws are you seeing? All I ever read is that a Vudoo is the Cat's Meow. I've seen some nice targets, but they are most likely cherry picked. Personally, I've witnessed failures to feed, failures to eject spent rounds and failures to eject live rounds. To be fair, I've never fired one, so unbiased assesments are always welcome before laying down that kind of cash.

I shot a 30x5 target with several different ammos and did not season the barrel in between. Granted, there was hardly any wind the day I shot but I did not "cherry pick" a target at all. You can view on the 6x5 thread. I had some of the above problems and sent the rifle back for "tuning", no problems since.

And I know there are better shooters than me on this sight.

I think it depends on what you shoot. For the guys shooting Remingtons and 700 based custom and semicustom actions I think its a good option. It allows for some parts interchangeability so if you say, have a centerfire 700 and want to upgrade to a Whiskey-3 from a Bravo chassis or whatever, you can upgrade the centerfire and drop the .22 into the old chassis. Similar dimensions and feel and stuff like that.

My centerfire is a Tikka though so I'm holding out for the T1X for the above reasons. I'd be lying if I said cost wasn't also a factor; running the numbers to replicate my .308 with a T1x it would cost around $2400. That's in a chassis with optic, bipod, etc...

Last edited:
I shot a 30x5 target with several different ammos and did not season the barrel in between. Granted, there was hardly any wind the day I shot but I did not "cherry pick" a target at all. You can view on the 6x5 thread. I had some of the above problems and sent the rifle back for "tuning", no problems since.

And I know there are better shooters than me on this sight.

I checked out your target on the 6 x 5 thread. Very impressive! Especially if it's taken into account that various brands/varieties of ammo were shot without "cleaning and refouling" between each. (Sorry, "seasoning" a bbl is a totally different thing).

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I noticed that you subtracted .223" from your group sizes to determine your ctc measurement. In my experience, a bullet hole through paper is always a smaller measurement than the actual bullet diameter. Usually in the .190" to .210" range depending on paper weight, quality and humidity level of the paper. Here in the high deserts of the west, it's usually around .200". At any rate, regardless of what number is subtracted, those are impressive groups! I don't think I could do that at 25 yds, let alone the 50 yds that you did that from! You have obviously found an amazingly consistent lot of ammo at a velocity that matches the harmonics of your rifle. Congrats on the target and never sell your Excaliber! She's one in a million if she consitently shoots groups like that at 50!

For the record, what I was refering to when I used the term "cherry picked" is the single groups that are posted when it's obvious that others had been shot. Only the best one is posted.

I'm interested to hear djdilliodon's report on the disection of one of these rifles. I'm interested in an unobjective report on what makes these rifles tick and from that info, make an educated decision to buy vs relying on anecdotal info. These aren't inexpensive rifles and to be honest, a Stiller is close enough to the same price that I would probably go that route and just convert it to use Vudoo mags.. They have the same footprint and a Stiller's big downfall is it's use of Savage magazines.

Reactions: flatland1