Angle finder?

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2020
How do you find your inclination when calculating range? I have been looking for something simple that can be mounted to the scope or rifle but either coming up empty or getting results for things that seem wildly over priced for what they are ($200+), so far the best option I have found is also the clunkiest, an app on my phone that measures the angle the phone is at, basically I would have to lay the phone sideways along the barrel like a carpenters level and then take note of the angle.

It seems like there should be a simple low tech and low cost solution, that is not so clunky and cumbersome. What do you do?

I did see one option, a ball level thing that attaches to the scope but the only place I found one affordable only carries it in 30mm, everywhere else has it for $200+.

How do you find your inclination when calculating range? I have been looking for something simple that can be mounted to the scope or rifle but either coming up empty or getting results for things that seem wildly over priced for what they are ($200+), so far the best option I have found is also the clunkiest, an app on my phone that measures the angle the phone is at, basically I would have to lay the phone sideways along the barrel like a carpenters level and then take note of the angle.

It seems like there should be a simple low tech and low cost solution, that is not so clunky and cumbersome. What do you do?

I did see one option, a ball level thing that attaches to the scope but the only place I found one affordable only carries it in 30mm, everywhere else has it for $200+.
Just about any decent range finder gives inclination. My 4 or 5 year old Leupold RX 2800 does. That's the easy button. Range + angle.
The higher end range finder (Sig 8K) with Applied Ballistics gives you the range, angle, azimuth, and solution with all that plus atmospherics accounted for.

Wouldn’t the inclinometer built in to a range finder give a slightly different output though being tgat it is not on the rigle and presumeably higher?

You could probably find a way to attach this to your pic rail......lots of adapters out there, something should work.
Be hella accurate but you'd have to peek around to view it.
It is hyper accurate and it is cheap.

Just thinking outside the box fer ya :)

Buy ewe won of these and tie some 550 gut to the middle hole with some small nut or washer on it. Squint to read little numbers
IMG_6583.jpeg

Wouldn’t the inclinometer built in to a range finder give a slightly different output though being tgat it is not on the rigle and presumeably higher?
I don’t think the difference would be meaningful unless you are 50yds tall.

But hey, I’m not a ballistician nor am engineer.

You could test it by doing two readings with the LRF, one at the riflescope and one with you not.

Tell me what angles you’re shooting at and at what distances

I guarantee you can guess them close enough that unless you’re shooting past 1000 yards it doesn’t matter

Tell me what angles you’re shooting at and at what distances

I guarantee you can guess them close enough that unless you’re shooting past 1000 yards it doesn’t matter
Angles are unknown, the range can go as far as 1 mile.

I should clarify: There are only 2 long range ranges “near” me, near being a relative term, both are hours away and going there would be a full day trip, one is over $300 a year and only goes to 1,000 yards, the other is $20 per day and goes to one mile. I have never been there before, but the pictures make it look very hilly with lots of dips and valleys.

Angles are unknown, the range can go as far as 1 mile.

I should clarify: There are only 2 long range ranges “near” me, near being a relative term, both are hours away and going there would be a full day trip, one is over $300 a year and only goes to 1,000 yards, the other is $20 per day and goes to one mile. I have never been there before, but the pictures make it look very hilly with lots of dips and valleys.
At 1 mile with a 338 Lapua, changing the slope by 5° changes the point of impact by one click (.1mrad)

You can almost always guess the angle to within 5 degrees and if you are shooting at a mile, you have time to put your phone on the top of your scope and you are almost assuredly not going to be changing the angle of your shot from shot to shot at a mile by more than 5 degrees

My point is everybody always talks about all of these variables, and how you need to account for them, but many of them impact the firing solution, no pun intended, too little to really matter