• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Any air compressor experts around?

Re: Any air compressor experts around?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quincy </div></div>

+1. I've had one for years with no down time or trouble.

Champion or Quincy for recips. Mattei or Comp-Air for hydro-vanes. I can't recommend any rotary screws.

Avoid 'cheater' units. Your current Ingersoll is a cheater. Look at the size of your pump's flywheel. Your 5hp motor is revving up that pump to make up for the lack of CFM's so it performs like a 7.5hp or 10hp unit. This is achieved at the cost of the pump's service life. The Ingersoll pumps I encounter typically last a year or two. I seldom run into IR pumps over 3 years old. This is a typical IR compressor:
Ingersoll.jpg

You can see that they leak <span style="font-weight: bold">oil</span> like a bitch. This unit is probably 2 years old. Draining the tank daily is important, so people install electronic auto-drains in their tanks. They break real fast, then the tank fills up with water, because everyone is assuming that the drain still works. I get a call; 'my compressor pumps up and shuts off in 5 seconds, and cycles all day,' and its because the tank is FULL of water.

This is a new Ennio Mattei hydrovane compressor. You will notice it does not have a storage tank for air. The unit generates compressed air instantaneously making storage unnecessary. The maintenance is about the same as a recip but you need to service an oil filter/strainer located to the right of the oil drain valve, bottom left in the picture.
Mattei.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and I'm sure you didn't want to hear this, but the Ingersoll/Rand air compressors are
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">complete garbage</span></span>. </div></div>

Apparently you're right. Their repair person stopped by today and told my wife that he <span style="font-style: italic">thinks</span> he knows what the problem is but that there are no parts available. He told my wife that they may have to find a new place to buy parts. What the fuck? They are the fucking Ingersoll Rand Customer Center. If they can't get the fucking parts for the thing who the fuck else is going to have them? I'm supposed to check in with them in a week to see if they can "rig" a gasket whatever the fuck that means. I'm guessing it means come up with some bullshit way of fixing it which will last just long enough for the warranty to run out.

Guaranteed they'll never see another penny of my money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find out which parts numbers are involved, from your local guys. </div></div>

I don't think the guy can say with certainty what is wrong with it. He was here for 15 minutes, didn't disassemble anything on it. He told my wife he <span style="font-style: italic">thought</span> it was a gasket.

I guess I should have just kept buying the cheap piece of shit oil-less compressors from Lowes or Home Depot. At least they lasted a couple years before going tits up. I could have had compressed air for five or six years for the money I spent on this thing.

If you decide to go at it yourself instead of letting some hack make a half ass fix, get the compressor numbers off the pump, a quick google search should yield a parts supplier.

Unbolt the head, check the gaskets, there will be 2-3 depending on the valve arrangement. Pay close attention to how the plates come apart, take pictures. There will be some reed valves that just lay in a channel.

Here's an exploded view of a typical compressor:

http://www.aircompressorpartsonline.com/b3000-pump-parts-p-2165.html

You'll likely find a small void in a gasket, it can be from the cylinder to the outside or between the two cylinders. Symptom is the same. Order the gaskets (all 3), install them, torque the head bolts using a standard fastener torque chart (probably be metric bolts). Run it until it shuts off, re-torque the head. It's not that big of a repair, chock the parts cost up (probably $20) as a learning fee.

As for the compressor, if it's an average home/farm use and not running continuously, i.e. running a blast cabinet, CNC machine etc. it's more than adequate. Otherwise start looking at Quincy, Saylor-Beall, Champion, American IMC etc. As pointed out, for those applications, they need to have a condenser/dryer with a water separator and auto drain. My compressors never have water in the tank because the line dryer takes care of it before the air ever makes it into the tank and that's here in humid Florida.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their repair person stopped by today and told my wife that he thinks he knows what the problem is but that there are no parts available. He told my wife that they may have to find a new place to buy parts. What the fuck? They are the fucking Ingersoll Rand Customer Center.</div></div>

They are more than likely just an independent business that does warranty work for IR to supplement their business income and files claims with IR.