• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Are you selling your current optic to buy a Beast?

I'm looking to buy a top end scope next summer. I have never believed in buying the newest thing out rite away I let it hit the market and wait till there are enough good solid reviews. that way I can make a better informed decision.

as far as selling current optics no! I always have a rifle that could use glass so its more along the lines of just adding to the collection

A buddy is trying to get me to get a DTA instead of doing a custom build, but idk. I know they are great rifles, but I much rather do a custom build first. Then I might pickup a DTA later on down the road.

A buddy is trying to get me to get a DTA instead of doing a custom build, but idk. I know they are great rifles, but I much rather do a custom build first. Then I might pickup a DTA later on down the road.

Would take my DTA SRS A1 over any custom build. Have another on order. One precision rifle and one quality scope with multiple caliber conversion (some even custom done). Great balance and feel and with a suppressor not 1/2 mile long. Just my opinion, of course.

Looking to see if my gut is right, I know some people in the market for a scope and I figured there is going to be a bunch of quality optics going for sale soon to help fund some good old gotta have the latest bling thing.

Let's not break the rules here (don't post an ad here for your scope derrr) but just interested if you are considering or have made up your mind to sell your current optic to buy the Beast?

For me it was either wait on the Beast/H59 or get a S&B 5-25/H59.

At this point I think I made the right decision getting the S&B. The 10Y parallax has been used often as the scope has been switched around from the 6x47 tactical rifle to the precision rimfire and also to the Field Target air rifles. I like the scope more than I ever thought I would, it's extremely versitile! I'd buy another right now if I could afford it.

Me...I could see getting a Beast as a ELR scope in the future maybe???, especially mounted on a 375CT. Though having $8000 worth of equipment sitting in the safe and being used 3 times a year didn't work out to well, heck I hardly shoot the 30-375R anymore as is, it sits in the safe all lonely.

I got a March 3-24 coming soon. I think it'll meet most of my needs.

Love my March F 3-24X 42mm. Will easily do everything I need out to 1500 yds and more with good eyes. You'll love the size, turrets and great zero stop (best and easiest I've seen on any scope-bar none). The Accuracy 1st level will round out a great package, but you'll need the 30mm reducers for it!

I can't see what "The Beast" can do for me that my new Bushnell ERS 3.5 -21 X 50 with Zero Lok and H-59 reticle can't do.

The new ERS and XRS are very evolved scopes and have set a new benchmark for Bushnell.

I can't see what "The Beast" can do for me that my new Bushnell ERS 3.5 -21 X 50 with Zero Lok and H-59 reticle can't do.

The new ERS and XRS are very evolved scopes and have set a new benchmark for Bushnell.

Glass quality, nuff said. just like the 3 C's in diamonds you get what you pay for.
Plus, unless I'm mistaken, there's only 50 MOA total available elevation in that ERS? How is that possible for a scope with a 34mm tube? That's about 75 MOA short of what the ATACR offers.

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

Last edited:
Plus, unless I'm mistaken, there's only 50 MOA total available elevation in that ERS? How is that possible for a scope with a 34mm tube?
My ERS has 30.4 mils of elevation. Not sure exactly how many MOA that is (nor do I care) but I know it's a lot more than 50.

Edit: I was messing with the zero stop last night. I actually got 33.4 mils out of it.

Last edited:
5-22 F1 - if they made this scope, i'd sell almost every scope I own and replace them with this one. I've had a 3-15 F1 for years, it just needs a little more magnification on the top end.

So why not the BEAST?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Extra $1k pricetag? A 5-22 f1 nsx would Probly run in the low $2k if I were to speculate. Still, if i were to have around $2k to spend on a nightforce and had the unicorn 5-22 f1 nxs or ATACR to choose from I'd gladly sacrifice FFP to have the glass of the ATACR. I owned an nxs and now own an ATACR. The glass clarity is noticeably better on the ATACR - well worth the sacrifice of features to get clarity that is on par with s&b, March, etc.
The only way I'm selling the ATACR is if i can get $2k from it to put toward the BEAST.

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

So why not the BEAST?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

A $2300 scope that is built like a tank is appealing to me.

3-20 F1 with MSR reticle.

Since they don't make it 5-25 S&B MSR ended up getting the nod.

I ended up dropping $3900 on a 5-25 MSR S&B this spring because I got tired of waiting. It sits on my match gun, but I can only afford one lol.

Not the BEAST just yet, I am still trying to convince my self that I would actually use the throw lever (even though I know I will not). So my 5-25 H2CMR PMII is staying on my TRG but I do have my Hensoldt on the block to get the ATACR for my 22lr just because I want to see the "new Nightforce glass". I am very excited NF have upped their game in the optical quality department and am hoping they will be on par with the PMII. If they are I just may go back to all NF optics...

On a side note I am really liking what I see in the MIL reticle NF has for these scopes. The H2CMR is very nice with the .2 wind holds but it is a little busy. I like the break on the horizontal stadia at .5 mil it would make a .25 & .75 mil hold very easy but not as cluttered looking. The reticle is one of the biggest draws for me to the new offerings in conjunction with the "improved glass".

To the OP interesting question, thanks for posting. Its interesting to see what others are thinking about new products and why.

Last edited:

Attachments

• DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 15
The original plan was to buy the BEAST and use it across several LR/ELR rifles. My "logic" or lack thereof being to just spend a ton of money on ONE good scope and move it around. Well since NF hasn't been able to deliver the scoope yet, I've ended up buying 2 OTHER expensive scopes for some of the other rifles and if the BEAST eventually shows up it'll just end up permanently housed on one rifle (although it may serve temporary duty on the .50 as needed).

I probably would have gone this route anyway, as keeping track of mulitple zeroes on the scope would have driven me crazy, but it was a convenient justification to buy it.

I just talked to NF. My cell signal was in and out in this forsaken place, but the CS rep was not aware of a major delay in delivery. He said the Mil order is going out first, I'm pretty sure he said it's rolling out now, followed immediately by civilian pre-orders. They are looking at the end of October. We'll see.