Area 419 Zero Press vs SCA Nexus Press

Got it in the mail today, one day earlier than expected.
Still waiting on the InLine Bench plate, but first impressions are really good!
It's heavy, very well machined, tolerances are on point and finish is stunning :love:

Can't wait to start sizing brass with it

img_2334.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 419 shellholders, but the cartridge just doesn't go far enough into the die to bump the shoulder. Putting in a Co-Ax adds a tad extra to the stroke and it works fine. Anyways, I'm not taking a $400 die to a machine shop to lathe off an eighth, I bought the Nexus instead. :)
I had this problem with a different caliber until I just screwed the die in a little bit more and I got the shoulder pump. It was an issue of just not having enough force? This was due to an out of spec barrel or bolt, causing too much headspace, but I was able to resize them after I annealed them and, screwed the resizing die in a little further

I did notice that the 419 shell holders seem like they could produce a little more bump, If they had a thicker insert.

Did you try a regular shell holder for the 300 PRC and see if that would be any different like a Redding. I noticed that some of the other brands (other than Redding shell holders) did not allow the half moon retention ring that is the universal show holder system (that comes with the zero press) to slide through or all the way over so that you could use those other shell holders. The Reading brand seem to work just perfect on the zero press..

It could’ve been that the shell holders were pretty beat up and didn’t allow it to slide in very smoothly…

Last edited:
Reactions: JSW2000
I had this problem with a different caliber until I just screwed the die in a little bit more and I got the shoulder pump. It was an issue of just not having enough force? This was due to an out of spec barrel or bolt, causing too much headspace, but I was able to resize them after I annealed them and, screwed the resizing die in a little further

I did notice that the 419 shell holders seem like they could produce a little more bump, If they had a thicker insert.

Did you try a regular shell holder for the 300 PRC and see if that would be any different like a Redding. I noticed that some of the other brands (other than Redding shell holders) did not allow the half moon retention ring that is the universal show holder system (that comes with the zero press) to slide through or all the way over so that you could use those other shell holders. The Reading brand seem to work just perfect on the zero press..

It could’ve been that the shell holders were pretty beat up and didn’t allow it to slide in very smoothly…
I appreciate the suggestions but default back to my earlier post about not wanting to turn this into any sort of b*tch thread. I've done everything mentioned.

Has anyone found or is anyone making a good cover for the Nexus?

Not trying to get into the battle of the reloading presses. For what it's worth both of my presses are more than 35 years old.

First is my old reloading room with both presses mounted.

Next is the CH Magnum Press no longer made, but can be found used on E-Bay occasionally.

And last is the CH4D 444 press, which is still being made. No 444 H Press

Notice how both bare a more than passing resemblance to SAC's Nexus press. I sure the NEXUS is more robust, but how must robustness do you need??

My CH Magnum is used for resizing and bullet seating.

The 444 press is mainly used lighter chores. I use mine for a Lee Universal depriming die , a Lee neck flaring die , and Lee factory crimp die as applicableReloading.jpgch magnum.jpgch 444.jpg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tweety4600
I use the Co-Ax for more loading these days. Especially with case forming. Cause dies slip in and out, back and forth, changing things up with ease... until I get the forming process down. It's a tinkerer's and Wildcater's dream press.
I also have arbor press, 2 Dillons, 2 Hornady progressives, Rockchucker, Lee, RCBS 50,....
No plans to own an expensive Zero press, just not interested or impressed.
It's just not needed for anything I do.
But you can spend your money on it if you desire to do so....

Reactions: biggershooter
@BobinNC That's interesting, a friend who owns the CH Magnum also said the same thing when seeing my Nexus.
The Nexus is clearly inspired from several other presses and combines all the good ideas from these.

I like to quality it as a hybrid between a Turban Präzipress (high quality CNC machining), a RCBS Summit (the die moving down on the case) and a Forster Co-Ax (co-axial design, floating die with quick change). Guess it also takes after the CH Magnum :D

I ended up finding I was getting inconsistent sizing on stout Lapua 7/6.5prcw brass. Same with ADG 7 SAUM brass that had some work hardening due to a previous die.

I then used my Prazi 105 press and my Forster presses and the were way more consistent. I believe I a was getting too much flex with Area 419 press. During this testing I also tested lubricants and the royal case lube was the winner out of Alpha and one shot.

Reactions: biggershooter
I ended up finding I was getting inconsistent sizing on stout Lapua 7/6.5prcw brass. Same with ADG 7 SAUM brass that had some work hardening due to a previous die.

I then used my Prazi 105 press and my Forster presses and the were way more consistent. I believe I a was getting too much flex with Area 419 press. During this testing I also tested lubricants and the royal case lube was the winner out of Alpha and one shot.
How much "spring stop" did you have setup on the Zero?

Good and bad news
The Nexus is back in stock (7 in stock at that moment)
Bad news is its price went up from $775 to $875.

I really wonder what motivated this rise... $775 was a really good price point.
But no doubt it'll still sell a lot, even at $875.

Got the InLine Fabrication mount in the mail today!
Really happy with the product! The mount is very sturdy, and there is absolutely no flex when resizing.
I had to pay an extra $33 for taxes, but it is worth it.

Let's start resizing now :)

View attachment 8499931View attachment 8499930
If this is not quick connect/disconnect mount what is the difference from mounting the press straight to the bench? Could you have just bought longer cap head bolts and nuts and tightened to bench?

Last edited:
Got the InLine Fabrication mount in the mail today!
Really happy with the product! The mount is very sturdy, and there is absolutely no flex when resizing.
I had to pay an extra $33 for taxes, but it is worth it.

Let's start resizing now :)

View attachment 8499931View attachment 8499930
Are the French going to be mad about that laser engraved flag on there? (Jk, my wife is French speaking)

Looking great! I wonder what the cutouts on the side are for? To store the shell holders?

Are the French going to be mad about that laser engraved flag on there? (Jk, my wife is French speaking)

Looking great! I wonder what the cutouts on the side are for? To store the shell holders?
Pretty much the opposite, I think it's a nice addition on the press. I'm currently writing an article for a french shooting revue and I mention it :)

The cutouts are designed for storing shell holders, or whatever you'd like to put in there

20240326_190839_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited: