Area 419 Zero Press vs SCA Nexus Press

What kind of tooling is that? Looks like a mill tool holder ( I’m sure it is) but what are you reloading there and please explain?

Is that a le Wilson set up?
Top secret.

Jk... Universal inline seating die I've made. Can load any short action caliber on the nexus, just swap a couple inserts and adjust the micrometer. That pic was after loading 6BRA. Did 7-6.5prcw last night.

• Love
Reactions: Schütze
Got a nexus a few months ago and I like it so far. I hate having to swap shellholders though. And $40 for a 6 ARC shellholder is retarded.

I definitely like the solo-loc rings. It seemed like no matter what I did on traditional screw-in presses, I had to adjust the die each time to get the shoulder bump perfect. Things just never set up the same as last time I resized. I'm absolutely sold on a "hard stop" built into the press as being the best way to resize (or seat bullets).
View attachment 8470259
May I ask please what is the issue in changing shell holders (aside from cost). Is it somehow a PIA to get to for a change or...???

Don’t know. But many bad reviews about the Lee and Hornady ones.
To me, that’s the main advantage of the coax or nexus. Very fast die chances ( after a onetime setup) .
Got it ..
wasn’t sure if you’re saying that the Nexus area 419 is going to have tolerance stacking, as I would think those would be very accurately machined parts with their die holders

May I ask please what is the issue in changing shell holders (aside from cost). Is it somehow a PIA to get to for a change or...???
In comparing my Forster Co-Ax to Nexus, with the Co-Ax, there's no changing needed when I go from a .308 case to a 6.5 PRC (Magnum base) case.

With the Nexus, changing the case/shell holder I have to loosen the primer tube to release the holder assembly, pull the holder out the back side and insert the other holder, then secure the holder assembly with the primer tube. That's a hassle, IMHO. I guess I'm just used to Co-Ax where I don't have to do anything. ;)

For the Nexus, I would think that just like how the dies are held in the case holder assembly could be held in place in the same manner where it could just be popped in and out and needed. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
In comparing my Forster Co-Ax to Nexus, with the Co-Ax, there's no changing needed when I go from a .308 case to a 6.5 PRC (Magnum base) case.

With the Nexus, changing the case/shell holder I have to loosen the primer tube to release the holder, pull the holder out the back side and insert the other holder, then secure the holder with the primer tube. That's a hassle, IMHO. I guess I'm just used to Co-Ax where I don't have to do anything. ;)

For the Nexus, I would think that just like how the dies are held in the case holder assembly could be held in place in the same manner where it could just be popped in and out and needed. 🤷‍♂️
Yea. If you're bench mounting the press, you have to mount it pretty close to the edge of the bench in order to get the handle to travel all the way down. Because of bracing, I can't drill a hole in my bench to access the primer drop tube or retention screw. Right now I can't decap on the nexus and my shell holder assembly isn't secured, it works fine just have to make sure you don't push it back when setting cases in the shellholder. So I either need to build a new bench, or accept not decapping and having a loose shellholder assy. A good option is an elevated mount like an ultramount but I don't really like them, I like having my brass, bullets, case trays, etc all at the same level.

Yea. If you're bench mounting the press, you have to mount it pretty close to the edge of the bench in order to get the handle to travel all the way down. Because of bracing, I can't drill a hole in my bench to access the primer drop tube or retention screw. Right now I can't decap on the nexus and my shell holder assembly isn't secured, it works fine just have to make sure you don't push it back when setting cases in the shellholder. So I either need to build a new bench, or accept not decapping and having a loose shellholder assy. A good option is an elevated mount like an ultramount but I don't really like them, I like having my brass, bullets, case trays, etc all at the same level.
@straightshooter1 @3rdfocal

So the primer drop tube positively secures the shell holder...do I understand that right? So, without it the shell holder can be shifted out of place?

As for me...I don't have either the 419 or Nexus press but I do currently use Inline elevated mount and I'm kind of fine with it. Seems like if that is acceptable (and that's certainly personal prerogative) it sort of removes this obstacle, yeah? Cause of framing I too can't mount a press right at the edge of my benches.

Thanks for the responses guys. 💪 👍

Reactions: straightshooter1
@straightshooter1 @3rdfocal

So the primer drop tube positively secures the shell holder...do I understand that right? So, without it the shell holder can be shifted out of place?

As for me...I don't have either the 419 or Nexus press but I do currently use Inline elevated mount and I'm kind of fine with it. Seems like if that is acceptable (and that's certainly personal prerogative) it sort of removes this obstacle, yeah? Cause of framing I too can't mount a press right at the edge of my benches.

Thanks for the responses guys. 💪 👍
The primer drop tune secures the shell holder assembly. Without it, the whole assembly can easily move backwards when inserting a case into the holder. Note: shell holder rests on top of the concave disk to assist in alignment of the case for concentricity.

Shell Holder Assembly Slot.jpg
Shell Holder Assembly.jpg

See the small spring loaded ball bearings that loosely holds the dies in place. This kind of thing could be used to hole the shell holder assembly firmly in place for much easier shell holder exchanges.
Die Holder Slot.jpg

Can't you just make a plate out of solid wood or metal that will move the press our an inch or two, or whatever is needed and keep it pretty close to bench height with your other components? Uou could even make a big section of wood that protruded out from the bench edge and had room to sit your brass and bullets on as well if you wanted to???

Can't you just make a plate out of solid wood or metal that will move the press our an inch or two, or whatever is needed and keep it pretty close to bench height with your other components? Uou could even make a big section of wood that protruded out from the bench edge and had room to sit your brass and bullets on as well if you wanted to???
Yea, a sheet of 3/4 ply would probably be a pretty simple solution to get it out a few inches and clear the drop tube. I may actually do that.

If I wanted to build stuff I’d be a GC or something, guy.

Reactions: biggershooter
The primer drop tune secures the shell holder assembly. Without it, the whole assembly can easily move backwards when inserting a case into the holder. Note: shell holder rests on top of the concave disk to assist in alignment of the case for concentricity.

View attachment 8470992 View attachment 8470993

See the small spring loaded ball bearings that loosely holds the dies in place. This kind of thing could be used to hole the shell holder assembly firmly in place for much easier shell holder exchanges.
View attachment 8470995
The spring ball detent would be brilliant for the shell holder assy.

Nah it's held in by a set screw or the primer drop tube only accessible from the bottom (under the bench). That part is a little annoying. Aside from that, the press is super nice.
I will check again when I’m back home, but I thought that the square shell holder is hold in place by the 2 stops that are missing in the above picture?

Nah it's held in by a set screw or the primer drop tube only accessible from the bottom (under the bench). That part is a little annoying. Aside from that, the press is super nice.
It's only held by the drop tube where screwed up into the case holder assembly (there's no set screws).
And yes, it's a "super nice" reloading press. It'd better be for that kind of $$$$$. ;)

It's only held by the drop tube where screwed up into the case holder assembly (there's no set screws).
And yes, it's a "super nice" reloading press. It'd better be for that kind of $$$$$. ;)
I just read the instructions online at work, we are both right 😁 You can use the press without the primer tube installed. In this case the two cam over blocks have to be in the recessed holes behind the shell holder assembly.

Reactions: straightshooter1
The drop tube will screw up from the bottom into the case holder assembly. If one doesn't want to use the drop tube, a "set screw" can take the place of the drop tube in that hole to lock the assembly into place. That would be an even bigger hassle for changing case holders.
No tube or screw needed to hold the shell holder in place. The screw was only for shipping.

It's the assembly that holds the shell holder that needs the tube to keep it in place. Otherwise, the assembly moves back when inserting a case, unless slow special care is taken when inserting the case.
You do not want to read SAC instructions or don’t understand them, fine with me. Just sad that you give advice…..

Ha ha shoot I actually saw the dye holders in the background after I posted the question but that does require something to be bought… or made.. thank you for the reply

I give some thinking about those that were claiming they would have to buy a new turret head on the zero .. I think you can simply just get the little adapters that allows you to remove the dies with a 1/2 turn ..heck, I think you could even use the Lee adapter things..
I keep my dies in tackle boxes for that specific caliber that way I can keep all the comparators, bushings, mandrel, Giraud holder, and other things all together for that’s specific caliber together.

You do not want to read SAC instructions or don’t understand them, fine with me. Just sad that you give advice…..
I apologies for not understanding what you were saying. . . and for, apparently, not reading all that you wrote in post #216. 😵‍💫 Those two unused hard stop discs do indeed hold the case holder assembly in place. So, one doesn't have utilize the drop tube hole at all.

I haven't read the instructions since I first got the press. :eek: You know how that usually goes??? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for your effort and patience.

Given that the stops will hold the assembly, for me, it's still the same hassle to change out the shell holder compared to using my Forster Co-Ax.

Nexus Shell Holder Assembly.jpg

SAC had a restock of presses today so I grabbed one. I have a 419, using SAC dies, and I just can't get any shoulder bump on my 300PRC. I suspect it's as simple as cam-over as the die works fine in my Co-Ax, but that's probably a discussion for another thread. I'm looking forward to the Nexus.

SAC had a restock of presses today so I grabbed one. I have a 419, using SAC dies, and I just can't get any shoulder bump on my 300PRC. I suspect it's as simple as cam-over as the die works fine in my Co-Ax, but that's probably a discussion for another thread. I'm looking forward to the Nexus.
Interesting! I don't doubt your experience but my Zero Press with the Area 419 shellholder system and Hornady Match grade die bumps very consistently!

Interesting! I don't doubt your experience but my Zero Press with the Area 419 shellholder system and Hornady Match grade die bumps very consistently!
I have the 419 shellholders, but the cartridge just doesn't go far enough into the die to bump the shoulder. Putting in a Co-Ax adds a tad extra to the stroke and it works fine. Anyways, I'm not taking a $400 die to a machine shop to lathe off an eighth, I bought the Nexus instead. :)

I have the 419 shellholders, but the cartridge just doesn't go far enough into the die to bump the shoulder. Putting in a Co-Ax adds a tad extra to the stroke and it works fine. Anyways, I'm not taking a $400 die to a machine shop to lathe off an eighth, I bought the Nexus

I have the 419 shellholders, but the cartridge just doesn't go far enough into the die to bump the shoulder. Putting in a Co-Ax adds a tad extra to the stroke and it works fine. Anyways, I'm not taking a $400 die to a machine shop to lathe off an eighth, I bought the Nexus instead. :)
So if i am understanding this correctly You are not getting shellholder to bottom of die contact with the Ram all the way up?

In my simple mind, shell holder to die contact should be the same on any press.
Now, my 419 press with one of my SAC dies does not bump the shoulder with all the shims in and the fattest shell holder spacer from 419. I’m considering taking a few thousandths off the die. The rounds still chamber with a slightly firm bolt close for now.

Reactions: Defender3
So if i am understanding this correctly You are not getting shellholder to bottom of die contact with the Ram all the way up?

No, there is contact between shellholder and die. The 419's ram goes to a hard mechanical stop at the top of the stroke, no cam-over. You can simply turn down any die until it contacts the shellholder. The 419 also has shellholders with differing lip heights to add or subtract in .002 increments. The SAC die works fine in my Co-Ax and a Whidden works fine in the 419 so, probably tolerances and the lack of cam-over (IMHO).

In my simple mind, shell holder to die contact should be the same on any press.
Now, my 419 press with one of my SAC dies does not bump the shoulder with all the shims in and the fattest shell holder spacer from 419. I’m considering taking a few thousandths off the die. The rounds still chamber with a slightly firm bolt close for now.
I, and I know several others, who have exactly the same issue.

Reactions: JSW2000
No, there is contact between shellholder and die. The 419's ram goes to a hard mechanical stop at the top of the stroke, no cam-over. You can simply turn down any die until it contacts the shellholder. The 419 also has shellholders with differing lip heights to add or subtract in .002 increments. The SAC die works fine in my Co-Ax and a Whidden works fine in the 419 so, probably tolerances and the lack of cam-over (IMHO).
Correct I am aware of how the system works. This isn't the first time I have seen SAC Dies not bump shoulders in the Zero press. I wonder if there is a possibility 419 will come out with more (thicker) shellholder shims.

Reactions: Defender3
They should, or explain what we’re doing wrong. I don’t see how once you’ve made contact with the shell holder it could be any different from press to press. Contact is contact.

Paging 419

They should, or explain what we’re doing wrong. I don’t see how once you’ve made contact with the shell holder it could be any different from press to press. Contact is contact.

Paging 419
Contact is contact, but the issue could be more towards the SAC die and how the body was cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSW2000
Screw your die in a little further. We note this specifically in die setup videos but it is often overlooked.

TO INSTALL:
1) Ram in the up position
2) Screw die all the way down
3) Drop the ram
4) Screw in 1/4 additional turn

And then size. This should get you very close to where you need to be.

Again, many people will stop after the first two steps.

If you've done this, shoot an email to [email protected] and will see if there may be something else going on.

Ordered my Nexus with the lastest restock, should be home on Tuesday (it has to cross the ocean).
Will most probably replace my Forster Co-Ax. Not that it will make me shoot better, but it's a really nice press and upgrade IMO.

Ordered my Nexus with the lastest restock, should be home on Tuesday (it has to cross the ocean).
Will most probably replace my Forster Co-Ax. Not that it will make me shoot better, but it's a really nice press and upgrade IMO.
I think you will be very happy with the Nexus. I've found that I'm using it more since receiving it (from my Zero, which isn't bad at all).

Reactions: Tweety4600
Looking slick! :cool:
Only thing which sucks is that I had to pay $88 shipping fees for a $44 plate, but heh, it is what it is.

Still wondering if I'll drill the primer tube hole in my bench or if I'll hang the press a little bit over the bench.
Guess the best thing would be to drill the bench so the plate as the maximum amount of surface contact with the bench.

• Wow
Reactions: TheOE800
Looking slick! :cool:
Only thing which sucks is that I had to pay $88 shipping fees for a $44 plate, but heh, it is what it is.

Still wondering if I'll drill the primer tube hole in my bench or if I'll hang the press a little bit over the bench.
Guess the best thing would be to drill the bench so the plate as the maximum amount of surface contact with the bench.
With the plate there's plenty of surface contact when mounted past the edge of the bench for the primer tube hole. I just didn't like having it stick out, as that was always an issue for me when I hand my Forster Co-Ax mounted there.

1724449075265.jpeg

My Nexus arrived today and my Inline Fab quick change plate will arrive Monday.

For our French friend, I was at NATO AB Geilenkirchen in 1984 when we were having field exercises. The French deployed a Roland mobile surface to air missile battery but we didn't know where they located. Simple fix, we followed our noses as they brought a field kitchen and were continually baking fresh bread. 🤣

Now, back to regular programming...

Obviously the Nexus hasn’t been released yet but looking for any advice on a top of the line press. Anyone the has a Zero and considering switching to the Nexus? I will be reloading multiple calibers, mainly 25 creed, 6.5 prc and 300 win mag. I’m a buy once, cry once type of person which is why these are the two that I’m considering.
Been reading some of this thread with amusement and was curious... You posted this in February so what decision did you make?