Barrel too hot?

IndianCent

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Feb 10, 2023
Idaho
I have tried to search this topic but was not able to find posts, if I missed, my apologies in advance.
I started to shoot .223 Rem (paper for accuracy only) and wondered when the barrel is too hot. How do you determine what is too hot and what is acceptable?
I am using a Zermatt TL3 with a 26" Shilen with a barrel, 1:9 twist. I currently only use starting loads with CFE223 (23.8 gr) and Hornady 62 gr ELD-VT.
I shoot 10 rds and let it cool off a bit before I shoot 4 to 6 five round groups.
I plan to try my Raytek Autopro next time (used it to check engine temps in my aircooled cars). It will tell me the surface temperature of the barrel. Once I know what that is, I have to decide what is too hot and what is not. Is this a good idea and what is the acceptable temperature range? Thanks for your suggestions.
Raytek.jpg

Last edited:
IR readings can change based on material, coatings, surface condition and ambient lighting. Just a word of caution that you probably won’t be getting an accurate number unless the barrel is bead blasted & flat black with the emissitivity set correctly for it.

How much you can shoot will depend on the contour. I usually let them cool when I can’t indefinitely hold my fingers on the barrel (which is usually ~140F for me). They can get much hotter, but that’s an easy place to draw the line with no tools needed.

Reactions: JerkyFreak