• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Barrels who do you think is the best for 6.5

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
It is time to rebarrel 243.Want to try something new. Going to a .264 dia cal in a 260. I have one 260 in a bartlien barrel. Tring somethng new. The bartlien shoots great. What do you think is a great barrel? 1/8 twist medium palma fluted barrel.

Re: Barrels who do you think is the best for 6.5

shilen got an offering called a ratchet cut in the Select line of barrels......savvy the X-section of what a ratchet looks like....thats the profile of the land......sharp on one side...the driven side and nothing on the other........so....this barrel configuration only scribes the bullet HALF as much as a conventional cut barrel......what that means to the bullet spinning down range is.....IS it offers less resistance and effectively retains higher BC....or another way to put it ...it allows the bullet to fly better.......

i'm just sayin....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you shooting Rock Creek barrels? </div></div>

Im still waiting for my first Rock barrel to arrive, but I have shot friends rifles with Rock barrels on them, and lets just say thats the reason I went with Rock myself.

I have had a Shilen great barrels. The bartlein barrel shoots great also. I might try the Rock. I called once, they did not answer. I will try again. I forgot about the Rock Creek barrels. I have heard good things about them. Are you shooting a 6.5?

A buddy and I just ordered a couple 1:8" Shilen Selects for our matching 6.5x47's, the price is right and Shilen barrels have been known to shoot great, and clean up nicely.

Other than that, Krieger and Lilja were also high on my list.

-matt

I have had excellant luck with the three barrels I have from Brux, the last one was a 1-8" twist 6.5 mm. The 6.5 mm went on my Stiller Predator chanbered in 6.5 x 47 Lapua. I have shot many 5 shot groups at 100 yards under 0.5 inch. The barrel has about 300 shots and has never needed a brush through as OneShot cleans it right up.

The delivery time is great for Brux barrels about 3 weeks. see them at www.bruxbarrels.com

I think there are only a few ways to gain velocity, have a coated bore, a less engraving rifling (ratchet rifling, maybe 5R, 3-groove et al.), a tight bore, or a longer barrel. I don't believe the twist rate will change your velocity measurably, it is more a function of what weight bullet you will be able to stabalize. I have heard you can't over-spin a bullet, but too fast a twist isn't optimal for accuracy. If you are planning on shooting heavier bullets (139 and bigger) the 1:8.5 or 1:8 are good. If you are going to shoot the 120-123s then a 1:9 is good.

Dave

All else being equal a slower twist will give a higher velocity as less energy is being used to spin the bullet.

Lilja's shoot good but they are button rifled as opposed to cut.

A 3 groove barrel has wider lands so they are supposed to be less prone to wear.

3 Groves are suppose to stabalize the VLD bullets better. I have had a couple of them in Pac Nors they all shot well. I have had an still have Kreigers on my 260s but just ordered a Bartlein to try out on my new 260.

5 months would be a little long for me. I know I called the other day and they did not answer their phone. I think I will stick with Bartlein. Sincalir has them in stock. Maybe the next barrel I might try another barrel. Right now I need to rebarrel a gun asap.

I've only gotten a handful of premium barrels. Mostly Shilen, Douglas, and Pac-nor, I have 2 Lothar Walthers, and one is chambered in .260. Shoots great and cleans up nicely.

Ive got two Broughton 5C barrels that I really like very much. I also have a lilja 3 groove that im not as impressed with. In my opinion it has wore out kinda fast. 700 rounds .243. you can actually see where the rifling is wearing away.

Im curious to try a Kreiger though, with all ive heard about them.

I have shot Shilens. I also have a Bartlien 1/8 twist 260. It shoots really good. I have heard alot of people talk about the Kreiger barrels. The Bartlein guys work at Kreiger for years and started their own company. The first barrel came pretty fast but the last barrel has taken 4 months.

Dont be so quick to discount Rock Creek, they do support the hide and are the only Barrel Co that has offered group buys for us for quite some time, one of which just ended....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont be so quick to discount Rock Creek, they do support the hide and are the only Barrel Co that has offered group buys for us for quite some time, one of which just ended....

</div></div>

+1, If anyone deserves your business, its Rock, Niles is right, they are the only barrel makers that provide group buys to save us shooters money, and they also support matches with gift certificates for free barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck waiting on a Rock barrel. I had a friend that waited 5 months for one.</div></div>

Worth the wait.

My experience is with Lothar-Walther, and I'm a contented fan.

My elder Brother would only use Shilen, and I have seen excellent performance and life on others' rifles using Pac-Nor and Douglas.

Once you get beyond the 'lowest bidder' factory barrels, you will find that the things that make a custom aftermarket barrel desirable are to be found largely in common with most of the well known barrel makers. The exceptions tend to be about the rare problems, and not about the nearly universal good value.

Greg

Quaitly of the product always out wieghs the cost. I will order a Rock one day. I will start order more than 1 barrel at a time. I want the same cuts on the barrel. When you guys get your rifles redone, Do you not buy the reamers for the rifle you build? This way you always have the exact tooling for the gunsmith.

Yes, when I had my L-W barrel made, I had it made as one of a pair.

But don't expect the barrels to shoot precisely identically.

The ladder testing for the two barrels revealed a difference of .1gr of powder between each barrel's primary preferences. There is a difference, and it is a matter of preferences whether the differences are negligible.

On a hot day, it could be advisable to use the one, and on another colder day, the other, with a given load.

Greg

My preference is for L-W because of their volume of production at all shades of the spectrum where barrels are concerned. Very simply, they are the world's largest supplier of barrels, period. If you own a factory rifle, there's a good chance (maybe better than even) that the barrel was made by L-W, and they are also huge makers of military barrels. Many mass produced aftermarket barrels originate in the L-W plant.

I have communicated with the owner of L-W on a few occasions, and I asked him where his barrels beat the others.

His response is that L-W knows more about its products than probably any other makers, their volume allows them to afford a lot of testing equipment, and they test and keep records on all they make. They know when a barrel fails to meet standards, and they are not allowed out of the factory. Period.

That's where and when my search for a barrel maker ended.

Greg

If you need it ASAP I would go with Brux Barrels they have a very quick turn-around and when you call they answer most the time. Although thier site says they are a little slower on delivery due to increased orders I still got my last three within 2-3 weeks from ordering them.

And the best part is they SHOOT!!! and clean very well.

My order was delayed, normally produced and shipped according to a monthly work plan, it shipped a few weeks late. I did not feel inconvenienced. I was kept notified, and the product was a pure work of beauty.

Greg

I think you will be satisfied with their products and service.

When I mounted my barrel, I began my customary breaking-in sequence, but when I got to the 7th round, it was no longer possible to detect any copper fouling, and I simply abandoned the process, as it wasn't really going anywhere. Since then, I've simply faomed with Outer's, two or three 1/2hr soaks after getting back home, and patched her out, leaving light oil when done. Have only used a bronze brush once during around 1000rd, because borescoping showed a carbon ring had started to appear. My bad, wasn't being so religious about cleaning right away.

The barrel is clearly more accurate than my capabiities, having delivered a fair number of 3/8" groups at 200yd with HDY 95gr V-Max. I care for this barrel like a baby, because I can ill afford to buy new barrels with cavalier abandon. I gave its twin to my shooting partner, and he has the skill and appreciation to put it to very excellent use.

As I said earlier, at the top quality level, it can be very difficult to see significant performance differences between the major makers. My reasons for choosing L-W were based more on the company's size and ethic, and their accessibility when curiosity struck. They will inform you, but not make choices for you, as in matters like twist and throat length. You need to know what you want.

Greg

I read on them. They have been around a long time. They are a button cut barrel. They also run a 6 groove barrel. I wonder how that works. I thought most of the companies run a 3 to 5 groove.