• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Bedding Release Agent

BearNaked

Beer Saved The World
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Texas
This might piss some of you off but i did it and it worked.

I was bedding a 20 moa scope base to my rifle and needed a release agent for the screws. I was bedding it directly to the action so i didnt need any on the gun but still wanted to use some on the screws so i can do my final torque down.

I didnt want to buy shoe shine for a finger smidge of polish so i grabbed my ole trusty Imperial Sizing Die Wax and coated the screws. to my surprise, i was able to just unscrew them with ease and then tighten them down to spec.

if you are in a pinch, i think this would work for other things but obviously if you leave a blob of it then the compound will not be able to fill that area so be smart and use the APPROPRIATE amount.

I have a can of Johnson's paste wax that I use for everything needing wax at home. It works well for release agent and cleans off easily with a shot or two of brake cleaner.

I used some old Mothers carnauba paste wax when I bedded my action into my old stock and when I bedded my scope rail. It worked just fine and I already had it sitting around