• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Best Bipod for hunting?

Brian Foster

Petty Officer
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Don’t mind slinging the weight, need more adjustable height by 10.5” or so? Willing to pay for the best but which model whoops you pick above all hunting bipods. I should say I’m naturally a little shaking so I really rely on a bipod I can load up.

I've seen some people rave about Swagger bipods on facebook so it may be worth a look, especially if you want to shoot seated, but not sure how well it loads up. It can flex all over, but there is a lock feature that allows it to be loaded more like a (tall) standard bipod. I picked one up to try out, but haven't done much with it as I still have 6 weeks to rifle season for deer and trying to finish load development for my hunting rounds.

I've seen some people rave about Swagger bipods on facebook so it may be worth a look, especially if you want to shoot seated, but not sure how well it loads up. It can flex all over, but there is a lock feature that allows it to be loaded more like a (tall) standard bipod. I picked one up to try out, but haven't done much with it as I still have 6 weeks to rifle season for deer and trying to finish load development for my hunting rounds.

I'd love to hear about your thoughts on the swagger bipod one you get a chance to do some shooting with it... I was thinking about a Harris but the swagger has intrigued me.

I'd love to hear about your thoughts on the swagger bipod one you get a chance to do some shooting with it... I was thinking about a Harris but the swagger has intrigued me.

I've got a Harris, and would easily choose it over the Swagger for the range, but I think the Swagger will be more flexible in the field. Hopefully I can at least test it out a bit at the range next week and give some kind of feedback. I've seen a number of comments on FB about it though, and don't recall seeing much criticism from those that had tried it.

Reactions: NW_Hunter
I’ve been running a Hatch outdoor for last few hunts and Otho knit is a well thought out design. Fairly light goes on and deploys quickly and has lots of adjustment to use in taller grass or downhill shots which are issues where I hunt. You won’t see much on them. But it is worth a look.

Reactions: DXT_Shooter
I’ve been running a Hatch outdoor for last few hunts and Otho knit is a well thought out design. Fairly light goes on and deploys quickly and has lots of adjustment to use in taller grass or downhill shots which are issues where I hunt. You won’t see much on them. But it is worth a look.
That looks like it would be a great Bipod for hunting...I had never heard of it.

That looks like it would be a great Bipod for hunting...I had never heard of it.

I just ordered a Hatch bipod earlier today. I'll keep my Atlas for bench / prone shooting and try this one for hunting.

It appears to do everything I need it to do and more in a lightweight package. The quick remove / attach feature looks brilliant.

I like shooting from a sitting position and this seems perfect for that. Will report back after my December pig hunt.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Hatch bipod earlier today. I'll keep my Atlas for bench / prone shooting and try this one for hunting.

It appears to do everything I need it to do and more in a lightweight package. The quick remove / attach feature looks brilliant.

I like shooting from a sitting position and this seems perfect for that. Will report back after my December pig hunt.
Sweet let me know how you like it I just used my Harris Bipod on a mule deer hunt and shot this small buck at 300 yards...was my first time mule deer hunting and it was a lot of work.

6361393D-6248-4010-ACDA-61CEDA11AB67.jpeg

Reactions: neverlost
Ni
Sweet let me know how you like it I just used my Harris Bipod on a mule deer hunt and shot this small buck at 300 yards...was my first time mule deer hunting and it was a lot of work.

View attachment 6978121

Very nice. I've been using a low Harris on my rifle and then pull out belt-holstered folding shooting sticks as needed. These are a PITA and I look forward to a single bipod for all positions but standing.

Harris 12-25, i can go prone, mid prone with the pack as a rear, or full setting. Also in steep country it can take all 25" to go sorta-prone. That bipod is responsible for many coyotes and game animals hitting the ground.

Past couple of years, I’ve been using my Atlas bipod with HHC talon feet while out hunting. Have a set on my range rifle and my hunting rifle. So far so good, though I was thinking of going with the Tall model Atlas bipod.

Past couple of years, I’ve been using my Atlas bipod with HHC talon feet while out hunting. Have a set on my range rifle and my hunting rifle. So far so good, though I was thinking of going with the Tall model Atlas bipod.

I tried a set of leg extensions for my Atlas from Core Shooting Solutions. Well made, but a bit heavy-ish and fumbling with a bullet tip to remove feet and snap in an extension was just too cumbersome. Tried it on one hunt and put it on the shelf. Fewer parts is better.

The talon feet are great. I've retrofitted my Harris bipods with an adapter so I can use Atlas pattern feet on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyzrd
I tried a set of leg extensions for my Atlas from Core Shooting Solutions. Well made, but a bit heavy-ish and fumbling with a bullet tip to remove feet and snap in an extension was just too cumbersome. Tried it on one hunt and put it on the shelf. Fewer parts is better.

The talon feet are great. I've retrofitted my Harris bipods with an adapter so I can use Atlas pattern feet on them.

I definitely agree that the less the better, especially when hunting. I've considered getting leg extensions, but for me, I don't need a whole lot of extra length, so I'm just gonna spring for the taller Atlas model. If you're wanting to run the HHC talon feet on a Harris bipod, you shouldn't need an adapter. HHC makes their talon feet for Harris bipods as well as Atlas. I run them on all my bipods (Harris too). Another good set of spiked feet for bipods are the ones from Tactical Supply.

I use a harris bipod on the gun when I think I'll have a chance to use it in the prone, but you can get one for sitting/ kneeling. Then a Primos trigger stick monopod if prone isn't going to be an option and it's light weight. For long range stuff, I'm wanting a Feisol tripod.

I hunt coyotes only and will do between 5-20 stands a day. I have mainly used shooting sticks for years but wanted to try a bipod to cut down on carrying stuff to my stands. The Swagger Hunter series has always had me curious and after a deal came up for one I picked it up. At first I was very leery of it being stable enough for coyotes coming in fast etc. Most of my stands are sitting in the dirt or on a small incline with the rifle at different angles. Its been great so far at all heights and with the movement locked/unlocked. I'll probably add another one or two to my other rifles.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Got the Hatch bipod this evening. The quality is phenomenal. Everything is precisely machined and smooth. It feels very solid. The quick release picatinny button mount is very robust and appears solid enough for any bipod use. The ergonomics are exceptional. Simply pull to extend legs. Pull the thickest part of the legs to adjust angle. Legs lock in place at 0, 45, 90, and 180. Cant tension is easily adjusted with a pod-lock type lever. Legs can be shortened by pulling a flange right above the foot. I have no idea what kind of internal magic locks the legs in place. The leg width adjustment by puling the front cord is simple and locks in either wide or narrow positions. Unlike Harris bipods which have very hard rubber feet, these are softer rubber that provide more friction.

Below are some comparison pictures with a Hatch, Atlas and Harris both fully collapsed and extended. There are two more pictures with the bipod in the highest position and lowest position. The lowest position (fully collapsed, wide, 45 degrees forward) is fine for prone shooting and is amazingly stable. The highest position (fully extended, narrow, 90 degrees) is comfortable when sitting. I have to believe this is the largest adjustment range available.

IMG_20181203_195051 - Copy.jpgIMG_20181203_195136 - Copy.jpgIMG_20181203_195340 - Copy.jpgIMG_20181203_195503 - Copy.jpg

The only two improvements I can think of would be to add a panning ability and replaceable feet. I did pull one foot off - it was lightly glued on to the end of a about .3" diameter leg. It can be replaced, but there are no aftermarket claws / spikes.

The picatinny rail adapters for rifles with conventional sling studs are nicely machined and include a bit of a taper at the ends to allow the bipod to be easily slid on. Hatch includes screws with two common thread pitches. Unfortunately, they do not include the t-nut for retrofitting stocks with a second screw, so I need to make a run to the hardware store for a 50 cent item.

Can't wait to try this out.

Last edited:
Reactions: beretta_man11
Got the Hatch bipod this evening. The quality is phenomenal. Everything is precisely machined and smooth. It feels very solid. The picatinny button mount is very nice and solid enough for any bipod use. The ergonomics are exceptional. Simply pull to extend legs. Pull the thickest part of the legs to adjust angle. Cant tension is easily adjusted with a pod-lock type lever. The leg width adjustment by puling the front cord is simple and locks in either wide or narrow positions.

Below are some comparison pictures with a Hatch, Atlas and Harris both fully collapsed and extended. There are two more pictures with the bipod in the highest position and lowest position. The lowest position (fully collapsed, wide, 45 degrees forward) is fine for prone shooting and is amazingly stable. The highest position (fully extended, narrow, 90 degrees) is comfortable when sitting. I have to believe this is the largest adjustment range available.

View attachment 6980428View attachment 6980429View attachment 6980430View attachment 6980431

The only two improvements I can think of would be to add a panning ability and replaceable feet.

The picatinny rail adapters for rifles with conventional sling studs are nicely machined. They include screws with two common thread pitches. Unfortunately, they do not include the t-nut for retrofitting stocks with a second screw, so I need to make a run to the hardware store for a 50 cent item.

Can't wait to try this out.
Excellent review thanks for doing it. Looks like a great hunting bipod.

I had a chance to try out this bipod at the range yesterday. It met all expectations. It was great for prone shooting with the legs 45 degrees forward and legs wide. I really appreciated that I was able to position the point of aim slightly above the target and pull down on the forend of the rifle to lower the point of aim into position. I've found that this lighter weight hunting rifle performs better when I put more "mass" on the forend by pulling down.

Converting to a seated position took no more than a few seconds. Adjusting height was fast and comfortable. I was able to get a very solid position by gripping the top of the bipod and puling the rifle into my shoulder.

Two minor nits. The cant locking isn't terrible solid. Even torqued down hard, it can still move under moderate force. The second issue is that one time a leg won't lock in place right after extending. I'm not sure what the locking mechanism is (pneumatic?) but a little fiddling with the release collar gets it to lock again. Once locked, the legs stay locked.

IMG_20181204_200057.jpg

Mounted on the rifle, it is a little on the large-ish side, but this is not a problem. I plan on carrying the bipod in my pack or on my waist and attach it as needed. With a little practice, I can now attach it in about a second without having to look. I ordered a "Kley-Zion Picatinny Belt clip " to help carry it. I had not idea that these existed...the wonders of Google :)

s-l500.jpg

I've got the Hatch as well, and really like the ability to shoot prone and seated with the same bipod. All in all a very handy bipod for hunting and field shooting.

I've noticed the cant tends to loosen up as well, and the pic rail adapter could fit a little more tightly. How does yours fit?

I had a chance to try out this bipod at the range yesterday. It met all expectations. It was great for prone shooting with the legs 45 degrees forward and legs wide. I really appreciated that I was able to position the point of aim slightly above the target and pull down on the forend of the rifle to lower the point of aim into position. I've found that this lighter weight hunting rifle performs better when I put more "mass" on the forend by pulling down.

Converting to a seated position took no more than a few seconds. Adjusting height was fast and comfortable. I was able to get a very solid position by gripping the top of the bipod and puling the rifle into my shoulder.

Two minor nits. The cant locking isn't terrible solid. Even torqued down hard, it can still move under moderate force. The second issue is that one time a leg won't lock in place right after extending. I'm not sure what the locking mechanism is (pneumatic?) but a little fiddling with the release collar gets it to lock again. Once locked, the legs stay locked.

View attachment 6983323

Mounted on the rifle, it is a little on the large-ish side, but this is not a problem. I plan on carrying the bipod in my pack or on my waist and attach it as needed. With a little practice, I can now attach it in about a second without having to look. I ordered a "Kley-Zion Picatinny Belt clip " to help carry it. I had not idea that these existed...the wonders of Google :)

View attachment 6983324

Naah.... We saw them about 400 yards away under a tree and walked up to flank them to within about 100 yards. This got us a clear view of the group (about 10 pigs) and a clean shot so that we don't over-penetrate and kill more than one.
got it the pic just looked like it went in thru the shoulder are but came out the head on my phone,, but I guess it was just matted fur.

I've got the Hatch as well, and really like the ability to shoot prone and seated with the same bipod. All in all a very handy bipod for hunting and field shooting.

I've noticed the cant tends to loosen up as well, and the pic rail adapter could fit a little more tightly. How does yours fit?

I purchased the pic rail adapter from them and it fits very nicely. I've tried it on my AR10 and the fit is also good. On another rail I have it is a bit tight. The pros and cons of the push button style release are that its fast to get on or off, but it doesn't tighten down on the rail. FWIW, as long as it doesn't rattle or fall off the gun, I'm OK with it. There is enough tension from the weight of the gun that it always feels rock solid when shooting.

I haven't had my can't loosen up. I did have one of the legs unlock from the low-wide 45 degree forward position when shooting of the bench. Since you pull the legs to unlock them, I'm assuming recoil was the culprit. No big deal.

haha I actually just came across this thread the other day looking for a hunting bipod. the hatch looks pretty great but ended up just DIY some extensions for my atlas out of 1/2 inch aluminum rods.

worked well enough took a yote from 320 yards that next weekend.

this thread will survive

As previously mentioned; Harris Bipods. I have the 25C, 13.5" to 27", slightly high shooting in the prone, but not bad. When it's fully extended, you can sit and shoot off of it (slightly bent over). Something that is nice to have if you are hunting in areas that may have tall grass, etc. I've used it a lot when shooting prairie dogs. It was nice to have the option of changing positions. The 25, 12" to 25" may be a more comfortable option shooting prone but still allow you to shoot from a seated position.