• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bighorn TL3 and SR3 Product Update

Zermatt Arms

Machining Accuracy
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2017
Bennet, NE
www.bighornarms.com
Continual improvements of our product lines are important to us and we strive to provide the best possible product to our consumers. With that, we’ve made a decision to make a small change to our TL3 and SR3 product line going forward. We have decided to change the finish of our bolt bodies from a CrN finish to a Nitride finish.
Over time, we have played with different finishes and coatings on bolt bodies, bolt heads and receiver bodies. We’ve also played with different combinations of those finishes and coatings within each other. Within our two lines of actions, we mixed a couple parts together and found that the best feel was achieved with a Nitride finished bolt body on all of our receivers.

The change will present an aesthetic difference on our TL3 and SR3 actions. Receivers will still be offered in the white (blasted stainless) as well as DLC coated. The combinations produce an appealing look in both receiver options and the function has, in our opinion, improved with enough margin to make the change.

This is going to be a fluid logistical situation so bear with us. We need to move current inventory of bolt bodies before we get to the new finish. The change will start immediately with LONG ACTION RIGHT HAND actions. Any LA RH that is on order with us and not delivered at this point will be delivered with the new bolt body in it. Next will be SHORT ACTION RIGHT HAND actions. Some of the orders on hand right now will get the CrN finished bolts. When inventory of those bolts is gone, we will begin using Nitride finished bolts. Following the LA RH and SA RH bolts will be the SA LH and finally LA LH bolts.

Any product that is in the wild with CrN finish CANNOT be Nitrided. Repeat: CrN FINISHED BOLTS CANNOT BE REFINISHED WITH NITRIDE!!!

Please allow us some time to implement the change completely. If there are questions or concerns regarding current orders, please reply to your order confirmation to address them. We are committed to providing everyone with the best possible product we can and strive to achieve 100% satisfaction.

Thank you for your continued support of our products!

The ZAI/Bighorn Team

So, will this be the same finish used on the Origin action and bolt body and are you keeping the DLC coating on the bolt heads of all three actions(TL3,SR3 & Origin)?

Thanks,

TM6

The finish will be the same as the Origin.

Eventually, all the bolt heads will be DLC coated. In the interim, they'll get the balance of the CrN coated bolt heads until our inventory has been depleted. There will be a handful of nitride/CrN bolts in the wild but there's not a huge difference in inventory quantity of CrN bolt bodies to CrN bolt heads.

Darn it guys, right when I got my Impact build put together you're making me want to build yet another rifle with the lefovers of my tax refund. I was waffling between the two already and now that the bolt heads are nitrided I can only imagine how slick it'll feel with a DLC action and nitrided bolt.

Reactions: California
Hate to dig up somewhat of an oldie but at what point would a customer be up for a nitrided bolt? In the market for an action.
All right handed actions from this point forward will have the Nitrided bolt body. Lefties will be a while.

Just received my new DLC'd SR3 long action a couple days ago. Was surprised to see a CrN bolt body.
Did you order directly through us?

Reactions: b6graham
If I order a DLC coated TL3 action that means all of it including the bolt DLC coated correct? Or does it mean receiver DLC coated, bolt nitrided, if so is their a way to get it all DLC coated?

If I order a DLC coated TL3 action that means all of it including the bolt DLC coated correct? Or does it mean receiver DLC coated, bolt nitrided, if so is their a way to get it all DLC coated?
Here's the options for all short actions and RIGHT HANDED long actions on the BIGHORN line (TL3 and SR3):
Receiver: DLC coated or blasted stainless steel
Bolt body: Nitride finished
Bolt head: DLC coated

LEFT HANDED long actions have the same receiver and bolt head options, but the bolt bodies are only available in CrN coated, not nitride finished.

At this time, we don't offer our bolt bodies with the DLC coating. We've considered it in the past, but the nitride finish creates a feel that is at least equal to if not better than DLC coating in our opinions.

Thank you - Ray

Here's the options for all short actions and RIGHT HANDED long actions on the BIGHORN line (TL3 and SR3):

LEFT HANDED long actions have the same receiver and bolt head options, but the bolt bodies are only available in CrN coated, not nitride finished.

At this time, we don't offer our bolt bodies with the DLC coating. We've considered it in the past, but the nitride finish creates a feel that is at least equal to if not better than DLC coating in our opinions.

Thank you - Ray
Thanks Ray,
I appreciate the info, and it makes sense since the bolt head and the receiver are really mostly the points of contact during the movement of the bolt.

Thank you - Ray

Hello Ray,

Thank you for all of the information that you have provided. I have an additional question. Is there any issue coating a CrN finished TL3 bolt with DLC?

Thank you

Hello Ray,

Thank you for all of the information that you have provided. I have an additional question. Is there any issue coating a CrN finished TL3 bolt with DLC?

Thank you
Not per the facility we use to DLC coat. We've sent the bulk of our old inventory CrN bolt heads back for DLC coating so we would have truly synonymous product lines. I've even pulled the action selection portion from the bolt head order. Every bolt head purchased through the website (unless otherwise specified) will be DLC coated.