BMG Shooters/reloaders

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
Let me start by saying I dont own a .50BMG rifle and dont plan to....atleast for a while. I may get me a AR50 when the money is right though, just to have it before it gets banned.

Anyway, Im sure many of you have thought about the same thing plenty times and probably own one. But just wondering, does anyone here own a .50BMG-AI or BMG-Improved?
Take a look at the .510 Allen Magnum:
http://apsrifles.com/Allen_Magnum_Wildcats.html

When looking at that case, the first thing I think is dear god thats a long neck. I realize most of yall here like cartridges like the 6BR with very long necks, for good reason definitely. I also realize many here absolutely frown on nearly everything with the name magnum or even the slightest hint of being overbore LOL.

But Im wondering ,does anyone know the neck length on the BMG? It definitely looks to be well over one caliber. Considering how huge the case is, it seems one would be able to gain a very large amount of capacity by pushing the shoulder up to where the neck would be around .510" long or so, and then putting on a 30 degree shoulder with reduced taper. Something similar to the 6.5mm/.280/.300 Gibbs or Sherman.

Mr Allen is already getting 3000fps with a 750, and I imagine you could put another 100-150fps on top of that with the shoulder pushed forward in top loads. Thanks in advance for any replies/flames and people telling me theres no point and noone cares. Just seems theres little traffic through here anymore.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has ever tried it, and what are some of yalls thoughts on it - specifically yall that shoot .50`s.

PS: Anyone heard any updates on saojao`s 14.5mm Weatherby? LOL, and are there any updates on Mr. Viers .375?

Re: BMG Shooters/reloaders

Problem is lack of suitable powders. Why not a 50 Russian? same problem. Even if you gain 100-150fps with an improved, really what did you gain? Wasted powder, bullets, primers, and barrel life.

Instead of blowing out shoulders and adding capacity it seems going shorter and fatter is giving more efficient performance.

Am i wrong?

Look at the 300 short mag compared to win mag or a 338 Norma compared to the Lapua. Their velocities are pretty close but there is a lot less powder in the short fatties. I like you don't have a .50 anything and I've never heard BMG short mag (there maybe something close to it but again I'm not in the macho 50 club).

What the hell if a man wants to try something different why shoot down his ideas. You never know what he will find!

I wouldn't want to have to fire form .50 brass. It already costs enough to feed the beast. I have an ar50 that I load m33 and surplus powder for friends to shoot to get the excitement. Then I have an 800 grain load that I am still developing that will be for 1k yd.( wish i could go further) Problem is the nearest range that allows .50 is 3 1/2 hrs away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kvwpwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't want to have to fire form .50 brass. It already costs enough to feed the beast. I have an ar50 that I load m33 and surplus powder for friends to shoot to get the excitement. Then I have an 800 grain load that I am still developing that will be for 1k yd.( wish i could go further) Problem is the nearest range that allows .50 is 3 1/2 hrs away. </div></div>

Is your 800 load using a lathe-turned bullet? Because Ive never heard of any commercial manufacturers making these?

Also, to anyone that is knowledgeable on the subject. When necking down the BMG to .375/.408/.416/etc, the problem of bolt thrust becomes a big issue. Hence, the reason BMG`s operate at much lower pressure than something such as the Lapua or Edge. This is all secondhand knowledge mind you, but from what I know you cant get anywhere near 60,000psi with a BMG before the primer pockets get loose because of the case head being so big and in turn creating much higher force with only ~55,000psi. The other thing I was wondering, would it be possible to kind of Lapua-ize BMG brass and get any noticeable performance increase? Like, say you made your own brass, and made it twice as thick in every area/dimension while also using the highest quality/hardness brass material. Would it then be possible to bring it up to ~60,000psi. IMO, this is the reason BMG`s never work when necked down. Because you can use something like the Cheytac and get the same velocity with half the powder and more pressure.

Thanks yall