Can a tuner improve these sub MOA groups?

Don't bother arguing. He's a "statistic" guy and will just come back with "statistics say....". I go by what the target says. When I can shoot and see a group tighten when the tuner adjusts it proves it works. I have been using the same tune with my case of SK LR in different temps and conditions and it still shoots tight. But never wasted ammo and shot a 40 shot group so I am sure it doesn't count. LOL
It’s not really an argument…. Group sizes follow statistics. The target doesn’t lie and neither do statistics. And it turns out that they match up! lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rob01
I don’t have a dog in the fight. I’d love for them to work as advertised. I haven’t found that to be the case. I think it’s a waste of time, especially for the PRS world. You can’t tune out a high SD/ES. If they actually work, then why doesn’t someone do a test proving it with relevant sample sizes. The only tests doing that prove otherwise. I’d also encourage y’all to look at slow motion footage of bullets exiting the muzzle… no harmonics…. Just recoil.
** You dont have a dog in the fight. Yet you continue to say they do not work or do not work for you.

One thing you and I can agree on is it takes a good lot of ammo to even be capable of being tuned to a better group.

We will agree to disagree on everything else. For my discipline of NRL22 & PRS style matches I do not need to test 30-40 rounds at a distance.

I lot test all my ammo for my rifles and have GREAT lots of ammo. * Current * Eley Match 7.8 SD, 19 ES of 65 rounds, *Current* Midas + SD 8.6 & ES of 21. The groups are round at all distances inside of 275y. Each ammo shoots equally well in both of my primary rifles.

On the site or one of the others site, not sure. He is using tuners for 50 yds and 100yd test. He was doing a big test with tuners and they were working. He was asking about difference in tune for 50 yds vs 100yds.

Eley Match. Random lot. I shoot 20-30 shot groups at 200 for sound data. T1X, IBI 12T, Calfee IV chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_9310.jpeg
    IMG_9310.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 12
On the site or one of the others site, not sure. He is using tuners for 50 yds and 100yd test. He was doing a big test with tuners and they were working. He was asking about difference in tune for 50 yds vs 100yds.

Bryan Litz has always stated that having a weight on the end of a barrel, whether that's a tuner or something like a suppressor, aids in precision.

What he didn't find is that changing the tuner settings having any real measurable effect on on precision, once you expanding the tests to larger sample sizes.

So Litz does see value in tuners, just not in the way that the tuner crowd advocates. If this has changed, and he's a believer in adjusting a tuner a thou this way or that way to find the perfect "node", I would be very interested to see that. But him having a tuner on his rifle is not evidence that his opinion has changed on tuners.

Bryan Litz has always stated that having a weight on the end of a barrel, whether that's a tuner or something like a suppressor, aids in precision.

What he didn't find is that changing the tuner settings having any real measurable effect on on precision, once you expanding the tests to larger sample sizes.

So Litz does see value in tuners, just not in the way that the tuner crowd advocates. If this has changed, and he's a believer in adjusting a tuner a thou this way or that way to find the perfect "node", I would be very interested to see that. But him having a tuner on his rifle is not evidence that his opinion has changed on tuners.
Even if they work, the cone of error for every discipline besides BR is bigger than tuners seem to help. Positional groups under 1”@100 vertical are about my limit.

Reactions: kthomas
Even if they work, the cone of error for every discipline besides BR is bigger than tuners seem to help. Positional groups under 1”@100 vertical are about my limit.

Not really. Being able to have the best accuracy is always better than not even in positional. Your wobble is what it is but if the accuracy is smaller than that then that’s good. A tuner can help.

Reactions: BowChamp
Not really. Being able to have the best accuracy is always better than not even in positional. Your wobble is what it is but if the accuracy is smaller than that then that’s good. A tuner can help.
If my Rimfire rifle can hit 1 MOA@100, no, threading and a tuner really don’t do much for me. If the targets get smaller than that, I may adjust, or just move on to some other hobby.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Just watch two podcast with Chris Simmons current PRS World Champ. Chris is using EC tuner. I guess he thinks they work.
around 9 min. in

This one is from 2 years back

around 50 mins

Just watch two podcast with Chris Simmons current PRS World Champ. Chris is using EC tuner. I guess he thinks they work.
around 9 min. in

This one is from 2 years back

around 50 mins

He won the worlds with no tuner…………….. and the national also I believe………………

Where’s the litz post you’re talking about?

He won the worlds with no tuner…………….. and the national also I believe………………

Where’s the litz post you’re talking about?
I don't know what match he won with or without a tuner. I'm going by what he is saying in the podcast He is using tuner's now per the podcast, he said so in both. Listen to what is saying, on how well they can work.

If i had a 22 that consistently shot 10rd groups at 100 under 0.75 MOA like that, I would never, ever touch it, period.

That said as long as you don't have to modify the barrel you're not out anything trying one aside time and $ since you could always go back if it didn't pan out. Most of the guys I know running tuners all say the same thing, it tends to really only help in very small amounts and they do a ton of testing etc. to find the best setting. Then they all seem to do different things, some leave them alone and never touch them, others swear they see improvement changing the setting between ammo lots and also significant swings in temp and even pressure.

If i had a 22 that consistently shot 10rd groups at 100 under 0.75 MOA like that, I would never, ever touch it, period.

That said as long as you don't have to modify the barrel you're not out anything trying one aside time and $ since you could always go back if it didn't pan out. Most of the guys I know running tuners all say the same thing, it tends to really only help in very small amounts and they do a ton of testing etc. to find the best setting. Then they all seem to do different things, some leave them alone and never touch them, others swear they see improvement changing the setting between ammo lots and also significant swings in temp and even pressure.
I'm like you I would never thread a barrel like that. Bolt on tuner only. But I have added brakes to centerfire with no change, but they were bigger barrels.