• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes CAST YOUR VOTE: What's the best long-range scope?

Just wanted to say thank you in advance for going through the work of this test, looking forward to seeing the results.

Yes sir, I appreciate that. I know its going to be a massive amount of work (honestly, already has been) ... but I'm optimistic that it'll provide new insight, or at least be interesting. If nothing else, I hope it makes it a little easier on people to do side-by-side comparison of these high-end scopes, and gives them more confidence that they're picking one that best fits their needs and budget.

I Have S&B 3-27x56 PM II HP in P4 Fein L with DT & MTC ccw.

In a few weeks, I’m starting a large field test for popular tactical scopes in the $1,500+ price range (plan to test $500-1,500 scopes later this year). Like my rangefinder field test, I plan to have a very objective, data-driven approach using a series of empirical tests that focus on:
  • Optical Quality (resolution/clarity, contrast, brightness, etc)
  • Mechanical Precision & Repeatability (tracking, return to zero, internal adjustments etc)
Here are the 17 scopes I'm planning to include in the $1500+ price range field test:
  • Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50
  • Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30x50
  • Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26x56
  • Kahles K 6-24x56
  • Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44
  • Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56
  • March 3-24x52 FFP
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
  • Nightforce 5-25x56 ATACR
  • Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56
  • Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56
  • Schmidt & Bender PMII 3-27x56
  • Steiner Military 5-25x56
  • US Optics ER25 5-25x58
  • Valdada IOR 3.5-18x50
  • Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
  • Zeiss Victory FL Diavari 6–24x56
But before I start testing, I thought it’d be fun to see what the general opinion of the shooting community was on these scopes. Since this is one of my favorite long-range forums, I was hoping to see if you guys would help me out.

I created a poll with just 2 questions:
  • Overall Performance: Which scope will perform the best overall in the field tests, regardless of price?
  • Value: Which scope will provide great performance in the field test (i.e. end up in the top 50%) for the lowest price?
If you'd like to cast your vote, please visit: CAST YOUR VOTE: What is the best tactical scope? | PrecisionRifleBlog.com. Thanks for your help!

Dear Calz,,

Greatly Impressed by the Service you are rendering Sir,

We're you able to get the Schmidt & Bender 3-27X56 PM II HP Tested as this is the First Scope out in the 9 Factor.
Further, I'd like to know how this Scope has a Distinct Edge being in the 9 Factor Range Over Other S&B Scopes with a 5 Factor & in the same56mm lens.
Having Read BigJim Fish's Review,, the only information I could find on the S&B 3-27x56,, I am keeping fingers crossed,, waiting for a Real Review ( in field ) at Various Distances & in Different Light Conditions and on Various Rifles to see the ActualClaims of S& B Vs Reality Findings ( this is most important as I paid & bled through my nose ) a landed price of 8000 US $ ( incl. of Inland shipment in Canada, tax, & Overseas Shipment costs ).