Chassis for Howa 1500?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
New to bolt actions, but quickly saw that if one wants to have an adjustable stock and detachable mag, a chassis system such as that from Accuracy International makes sense. But, they are Remington 700 only and I wish to use a Howa. Anything else out there that will work with the Howa? Pete Lincoln of Roedale has one, but with the Euro exchange rate, it is on the wrong side of $1,000. If no chassis, I guess a Manners or B&C, but not sure if CDI detachable mag option fits these. ???

Phil

Re: Chassis for Howa 1500?

Go ahead and order the Manners and get the bottom metal from Jeff at CDI, Manners will inlet for whatever you need.. As a matter of fact, my new T4A for my Howa should be here in a couple of weeks...

I had hoped I could find a chassis, like an AICS, since the Manners T4 plus CDI bottom metal and mag come to about $815. Use a Manners T4A, it is about $950. XLR Industries will inlet the Howa for no extra cost and it is $720 ready to go. I rather prefer the AICS look, but does not look like anything such as that exists.

- Phil

our RCS is $857 USD at todays exchange rate.
when you guys look at our webshop without actualy logging on you are actualy seeing the EU 19% tax added prices and not the tax free export prices.
we are machining a shed load of chassis right now ready for the arrival of plastic and will be shipping chassis stocks out very soon.
Added to that we are about to introduce the Raptor chassis ( most have seen the prototypes ) and this will also be available for the Howa 1500.

Most chassis systems seem expensive when compared to a more traditional type stocks, but when you add a bedding job, mag system and magazine to the sums you usualy end up cheaper with a chassis..
Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">our RCS is $857 USD at todays exchange rate.
when you guys look at our webshop without actualy logging on you are actualy seeing the EU 19% tax added prices and not the tax free export prices.
we are machining a shed load of chassis right now ready for the arrival of plastic and will be shipping chassis stocks out very soon.
Added to that we are about to introduce the Raptor chassis ( most have seen the prototypes ) and this will also be available for the Howa 1500.

Most chassis systems seem expensive when compared to a more traditional type stocks, but when you add a bedding job, mag system and magazine to the sums you usualy end up cheaper with a chassis..
Pete </div></div>

Pete,

Thanks for the important info on pricing! No sure what shipping is to California, but will check your site.

Also, can you point me to where pics of the Raptor are found?

Thanks.

- Phil

Bevan, yes the AICS skins fit the RCS chassis.
Phil. export and shipping up to 2kg are 40€. 2kg up to 10kg 70€.
stock with mag etc is about 2.1kg. if we can somehow knock 100g of the stock it would make sence. i'll have a look at that.
The 2 year old prototype of the raptor chassis can be seen on my website under custom rifles - tactical / practical
RIMG0121.JPG

we've changed it a bit since, made it lighter, made the front end modular with several front end versions. Changed the rear end to accept any AR butt stock as well as a few other rear ends.
whats holding up production at the minute is me deciding which type of hinge i want to use on the folder, and wether we require the folded rear to lock in the folded position.
I'm field testing a non anodized version at the minute to make sure ive no sharp edges and bits sticking out and that i'm 110% happy with the way the ergonomics feel before the machines start running.
As soon as we have the final decision on hinge and i'm happy, we'll photograph the stock and all its options and get them on the internet and as soon as they are available we will offer them for sale. That should be before christmas.
Pete

The inexpensive Howa is not looking so cheap if I want DBM functionality (CDI = $209), fitment into the stock by CDI ($60) and use something like a Manners T4A ($670) and the local gunsmith to charge for pillar bedding with bottom metal ($225). That is a whopping $1,164. More than the RCS II at $857 + about $100 in shipping. Maybe I don't need DBM that much, but even so, the Manners with bedding is $895. All seems like overkill for my planned 223! Wish there was some "middle of the road option" that is a step up from the B&C Medalist.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
RIMG0121.JPG

whats holding up production at the minute is me deciding which type of hinge i want to use on the folder, and wether we require the folded rear to lock in the folded position. </div></div>
Good God, Pete! Just rock with what you've got and get that thing into the field (ie: start selling the damn thing!)! Let modifications come as they get finished, don't hold up the entire rifle because of a hinge! Grab the market before someone else does!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
RIMG0121.JPG

</div></div>

What happened to that action on the picture?

/ Johan

Pete, what kind of cost are we looking at for the Raptor? Less, more, or... than the RCS II? I need to make a decision here for my Howa 1500 action, so any info you can provide will help.

- Phil

Johan. the German company who where supposed to be making them delivered nothing but junk, cost me the loss of a 1/4 mil € contract in the process. he is now selling the junk i sent back to him as his own, all be it worked over (it would have to be worked over as id didnt work as it was) as well as an upgraded version that apparently works ( i gave him a long list of problems, the main one bieng when you pinned the trigger in, you couldnt actualy get the bolt in, and shoddy machining.I realy should have sued the ass of the guy, but family comitments in the UK right at that time took priority. I kept 3 and worked them over my self,they work ok now. plus a couple more of the worst examples as evidence. If you want that action, you can have one of them that works, but i cannot support you in spare parts. hence we've gone full circle to the rem clone.

Ranger1183. yeah i know. but the thing has to be right, the hinge needs to fit the RCSII and the Raptor ( common parts = minimise parts)ive tons of requests for the folder, and i dont want to say year well have the folder ready in 3 months, and then the damn hinge wont fit and we need a re design. The Raptor stock is modular and i want it at its basic set right, right from the start, we are almost there.

Phil. depending on configuration the price will be about the same. your Howa barreld action is a good start. get it in a decent stock with a bedding, or a chassis and it will serve you well until you have shot the barrel out. you dont nesseceraly need a magazine system, the howa floor plate works, but a DBM is easier to use. handy too. the .223 does however work better from the AICS mags than from the factory plate set up. step by step you can turn that Howa into a great rifle. one of the best bases to start from among factory rifles.

Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The inexpensive Howa is not looking so cheap if I want DBM functionality (CDI = $209), fitment into the stock by CDI ($60) and use something like a Manners T4A ($670) and the local gunsmith to charge for pillar bedding with bottom metal ($225). That is a whopping $1,164. More than the RCS II at $857 + about $100 in shipping. Maybe I don't need DBM that much, but even so, the Manners with bedding is $895. All seems like overkill for my planned 223! Wish there was some "middle of the road option" that is a step up from the B&C Medalist. </div></div>

If you want to go cheap, B&C A2 and Legacy DBM. The Legacy stuff is all plastic though. Mine is holding up, feeds good with little to know adjustment, was simple to install, and didn't need any inletting.

-Travis

Phil. depending on configuration the price will be about the same. your Howa barreld action is a good start. get it in a decent stock with a bedding, or a chassis and it will serve you well until you have shot the barrel out. you dont nesseceraly need a magazine system, the howa floor plate works, but a DBM is easier to use. handy too. the .223 does however work better from the AICS mags than from the factory plate set up. step by step you can turn that Howa into a great rifle. one of the best bases to start from among factory rifles.

Pete</div></div>

Pete, from an economic point of view, it is clear I have to decide now if a DBM is in my future or not.

A) Manners T4 ($530) + CDI DM ($209) + bedding ($225)+ magazine ($36) = $1,000

B) Roedale RCS II Chassis ($957 w/shipping) + AICS 223 mag ($36) = $993.

C) Manners T4 ($530) + bedding ($225) = $755.

For about $250 more I can have a mag, and with the RCS II full user adjustability without having to spend money on bedding. Going with a Manners T4A adds another $140. But, this is just a rifle to shoot off a bench, so the mag really is just not that important, as much as I like it. I do recognize that the RCS II offers additional adjustments over the T4, which have some value. I just have some heartburn over $1000 on the stock.

I selected the Howa based on lot of what I read in a lot of sources. Septic-tank here is also impressed. Your enthusiasm for it, and all the pros it has going for it persuaded me to purchase a barreled action.

A big question. Your RCS II says for Howa 1500 short action 308. Will it work with a Howa 1500 short action 223?

Thanks.

- Phil

Hi Phil. you forgot to add shipping to a smith and back for bedding, but thats probably not all that expensive.

Yes the chassis works with .223 and the AI mag lets you load the longer heavier bullets. Ive built a few rifles on the Howa in 300whisper using exactly that set up too. depending on where you want to go with your Howa, you could turn it into a switch barrel rifle.. the possibilities are many.

we will be pumping the RCS II out of here in numbers as fast as we can just as soon as we get our 1st shipment of Viperskins from Victor Company USA. we've had a chase around with the plastics companies here, seems they are more interested in cars. and as the Viperskins are so very similar to our prototype RCS II skins, we've done a deal with Michael for him to supply us and us to handle his EU sales, I'm looking forward to opening the first large box, it will be 3 Christmases all in one, and come early this year.

What you should do is, if possible get the feel of the different stocks, get your hands on the models you are interested in, some one near you must have a Manners T4, get behind it and get the feel, same goes for an AICS with Viperskins, and its always possble to retrofit the AICS skins, so you can have a thumbole one day and a pistolgrip stock the next,.
once youve got the feel of them all, you will better be able to decide what suits you personaly better.

and dont get headaches over spending money on rifles, you will spend more and more as time goes on, better to do it right from the get go, rather than buy an accessory you then sell on at a loss.

believe me, you will at some stage re barrel that Howa, and you will at some stage have the action worked on, and you will at some stage fit a mag system of some kind.. so lay the foundations now.

If you go for the Manners stock, get it milled for the magazine system of your choice, you can still use the floor plate for now, all be it with a gap round the sides. but it will work, this will save you having to have the stock machined out to accept a mag system later, thus possible saving you postage and added work.

If you go with the chassis,, then you've no bedding issues.

also as some one mentioned, a cheap and cheerfull alternative is the B&C stock. i fitted one with our mag system for a customer yesterday and it took 20 seconds.

asking on here was your first step to the right direction, well done.

Pete

Pete,

I appreciate the thoroughness and completeness of your reply.
My local gunsmith (25 minutes away), can do the bedding...for $225. But, no shipping either way.

I would love to try out different stocks and handle them, but will have to visit a match and persuade strangers to let me handle their rifle. No one I know has a Manners, McMillan, H-S Precision, or anything else. Would like to try them before buying, but it doesn't like I will have that chance.

I don't care much for the look of the forearm on the B&C Medalist, but may have little choice. There are very few tactical options for the Howa 1500.

- Phil

I have a B&C A2. The forearm gets uglier in person. However, I have actually found the flattened out bottom to be semi-useful in position shooting, and shooting off of makeshift rests. The B&C stocks are very cost effective. Good grip, comfortable to shoot, fit and finish is nice, bedding block, and I haven't had to do any inletting for the factory floorplate or Legacy mag conversion. For a $245 stock that's not bad at all. It's also pretty well hogged out for a big barrel.

But like Pete says, you may in time find that you'd rather have a chassis or a Manners, and you'll probably end up getting one. Buy once cry once.

-Travis

Great... "uglier in person...". I was already struggling with it in photos.

There is no middle ground. I can get the B&C and bolt in the action using the aluminum bedding block and I am shooting with a $220 invested. Next step up is $500 ADDITIONAL or more, starting at around $720 with the XLR chassis. Nothing cheaper from McMillan, and nothing at all from H-S Precision. There are other stock makers for Howa, but nothing tactical style.

I can afford the $$$, I just can't see the rationale behind a tough, pricey stock...for shooting 223 off a bench at 100 yards.

- Phil