Cool Cheek Piece Knob For Us "Old-School" McMillan Users

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I got to pick up my latest barrel from the gunsmith the other day. Other than that, I am in no way affiliated with him.

He showed me a pet project of his. It is a pretty simple cheek piece knob that contains a lever that is held in by a detent. You can pop the lever out, and get more torque on it to keep the cheek piece from loosening up over time. It works well enough that I can't get my cheek piece to fall with a moderate hammer fist. I think he said he's going to or already is making them for Terry's Loggerhead design too.

Also it is coated, and the knobs on my A4 saddle cheek piece and one A5 clamp bar started to try to rust on me.

It is nothing earth shattering, but it solves a simple gripe I've had about several of my McMs over the years and I'll be getting more...especially if he makes them for the saddle cheek piece because my OEM McMillans need tightening after every 20 rounds or so. I am not linking anything for fear of getting banned, but the guy's name is Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles out of OK if you Google search.

My knob:
    20240829_114806.jpg

20240829_114800.jpg

*** Edited to add link. Mods please feel free to remove if I'm accidentally violating the rules.

Last edited:
    Manners uses KMW Loggerhead hardware for their cheekpieces (I think), is that what McMillan uses too?

I am NOT the expert on this stuff. As far as I know however, Terry Cross puts his own cheek piece mounting system in the stocks he orders from McMillan. Think of it as a 'product improved' version of what McMillan has. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

As far as the Manners stuff; I didn't ask enough questions, and I'm not in on this project. I can find out.

Reactions: powdahound76
    That is a very cool design.

I have both manners and McMillan stocks, and while I've found the finger knobs to work very well on the much nicer KMW loggerhead hardware, the McMillan hardware often needs extra torque beyond a finger knob not to move or be able to pull out the cheek rest with minimal effort. That knob with the extra leverage will solve the issue.

He also makes a KMW compatible knob, nice!

Texted with Matt Stewart about his KMW knobs last night, this is what he said about the Manners stock knobs:

"...There are two different knobs so far.
    The Loggerhead knobs will work with the Manners stocks or most stocks fitted with Loggerhead hardware.

The McMillan knobs work with the McMillan clamp bar style hardware (1/4-20)."

Reactions: Terry Cross
    Manners uses KMW Loggerhead hardware for their cheekpieces (I think), is that what McMillan uses too?

Mcmillan uses their own design, ripped off from Terry.

And 100% can say having more than 1 example of each, the KMW is superior in every way.

I should reach out to jducos and see about retrofitting with KMW.
    Be worth it for me on stocks I plan to keep forever.
    I looked at it, and appears to be more than I am capable of, and would probably be a breeze for Mr Ducos

Reactions: Baron23
    I am NOT the expert on this stuff. As far as I know however, Terry Cross puts his own cheek piece mounting system in the stocks he orders from McMillan. Think of it as a 'product improved' version of what McMillan has. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
    I had been using McMillan stocks with their standard OEM hardware for the prior 20 years and it sucked the entire time. They knew it sucked but they could install it crazy fast and cheap with good margins and could afford to help "fix" stocks when someone complained.

We tried "improving" their OEM hardware for a few years by upgrading screws and parts but that was frustrating with their QC being all over the road.

In 2006, I ran the part components for the first LoggerHead ACP hardware and started ordering their stocks with no hardware installed. I was fortunate to have the new hardware work really, really well.

By 2011 McMillan got tired of sending a lot of stocks out with no hardware installed, so Dick Davis called me requesting hardware samples and pricing. I sent both.

A couple of months later, they contacted me again wanting to just buy the lower clamping body system. I refused because their upper assembly was shit and would have caused problems (Ex: Their leg columns are pure stock O.D. with poor surface consistency and crazy O.D. variations.)

About 3 months later, McMillan announced their new "clamping bar" hardware. It was a big improvement on their original OEM hardware versions but a cheap, lower quality assembly that copied the mechanics of the LoggerHead. Several of their employees that are no longer there were pissed and thought McMillan handled everything in a shitty manner.

So for years they refused to improve or change their OEM hardware but when they started losing the $margin built into that feature, they simply copied a new proven system. Their clamping bar hardware did not exist until well after the KMW LoggerHead hardware was in circulation.

I still receive stocks sent here for the hardware install and they do have a "KMW Hardware" check box on their order form for stocks to be sent here, however the vast majority 99%+ of their adjustable cheek rest stocks use their OEM knockoff so they can keep their $margins.
    As far as the Manners stuff; I didn't ask enough questions, and I'm not in on this project. I can find out.
    Tom Manners requested a sample of the LoggerHead hardware in April of 2007.
    In July of 2007, Manners placed their first live order for this hardware and they use it to this day except in larger quantities.

I got to pick up my latest barrel from the gunsmith the other day. Other than that, I am in no way affiliated with him.

He showed me a pet project of his. It is a pretty simple cheek piece knob that contains a lever that is held in by a detent. You can pop the lever out, and get more torque on it to keep the cheek piece from loosening up over time. It works well enough that I can't get my cheek piece to fall with a moderate hammer fist. I think he said he's going to or already is making them for Terry's Loggerhead design too.

Also it is coated, and the knobs on my A4 saddle cheek piece and one A5 clamp bar started to try to rust on me.

It is nothing earth shattering, but it solves a simple gripe I've had about several of my McMs over the years and I'll be getting more...especially if he makes them for the saddle cheek piece because my OEM McMillans need tightening after every 20 rounds or so. I am not linking anything for fear of getting banned, but the guy's name is Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles out of OK if you Google search.

My knob:
    View attachment 8490207
    View attachment 8490208

*** Edited to add link. Mods please feel free to remove if I'm accidentally violating the rules.

Really glad you posted this.

Matt Stewart is one of the most talented, humble and hardworking guys in the industry.
    I didn't know these existed until a couple of weeks ago when he called and told me about them. I got a couple to check out and I am really impressed. I was going to post some pics and info here but you beat me to it. Thanks. You prolly did a better job than I would have.

Keeping with my original target audience, I purposefully designed the LoggerHead hardware to have nothing protruding out of the stock to hang and catch on things.

If somebody feels the need to have a "No Tools" solution to removing the cheek rests, the Stewart Rifles knob is the best one I have seen. I installed both on SENTINEL stocks here in the shop and they offer PLENTY of additional torque if needed. Super well made and top tier surface finish.

I have zero problem endorsing this for any of the KMW hardware. It is the bomb.

McMillan USED to use KMW hardware...then they came up with their own inferior design.

It’s not just their designs.

I have FOUR A3-5 stocks from them - thought they were kewl - three older ones where the barreled actions are skewed (ALL barrels point to the left), and a fourth where the barrel was skewed the same way in addition to having inletting that was grossly unrefined precluding the bottom metal from fitting.

When approached about these problems - they try to make you sound like an idiot and pretty much imply you had no idea what you’re doing - after all THEY were McMillan.

These stocks were acquired around the time management changed.

Last edited:
    It’s not just their designs.

I have FOUR A3-5 stocks from them - three older ones where the barreled actions are skewed (barrel points to the left), and a fourth where the inletting was grossly unrefined and the bottom metal didn’t fit.

When approached about these problems - they try to make you sound like an idiot and pretty much imply you have no idea what you’re doing.

These stocks were acquired around the time management changed.
    That's a shame...wow, and from such a storied name in stocks.

Did they fix the issues or did you have to have a smith rework them?

Reactions: Edsel
    That's a shame...wow, and from such a storied name in stocks.

Did they fix the issues or did you have to have a smith rework them?

I got tired of arguing with them.

A few thousand dollars wasted.

Was advised by others of a stock smith in Indiana (Tom of TM Stockworks) who could correct the problems (re - pillar and re - inlet the stocks, perhaps?) - I decided to warehouse them for another day instead of trashing them (sentimental reasons - my mother liked the texture, said it reminded her of piano keys).

Switched to an entire slew of MDT chassis(es?) - ironically, nonconservative chassis designs suit me better ergonomically.

You can probably tell I’m not particularly fond of them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baron23
    I had been using McMillan stocks with their standard OEM hardware for the prior 20 years and it sucked the entire time. They knew it sucked but they could install it crazy fast and cheap with good margins and could afford to help "fix" stocks when someone complained.

We tried "improving" their OEM hardware for a few years by upgrading screws and parts but that was frustrating with their QC being all over the road.

In 2006, I ran the part components for the first LoggerHead ACP hardware and started ordering their stocks with no hardware installed. I was fortunate to have the new hardware work really, really well.

By 2011 McMillan got tired of sending a lot of stocks out with no hardware installed, so Dick Davis called me requesting hardware samples and pricing. I sent both.

A couple of months later, they contacted me again wanting to just buy the lower clamping body system. I refused because their upper assembly was shit and would have caused problems (Ex: Their leg columns are pure stock O.D. with poor surface consistency and crazy O.D. variations.)

About 3 months later, McMillan announced their new "clamping bar" hardware. It was a big improvement on their original OEM hardware versions but a cheap, lower quality assembly that copied the mechanics of the LoggerHead. Several of their employees that are no longer there were pissed and thought McMillan handled everything in a shitty manner.

So for years they refused to improve or change their OEM hardware but when they started losing the $margin built into that feature, they simply copied a new proven system. Their clamping bar hardware did not exist until well after the KMW LoggerHead hardware was in circulation.

I still receive stocks sent here for the hardware install and they do have a "KMW Hardware" check box on their order form for stocks to be sent here, however the vast majority 99%+ of their adjustable cheek rest stocks use their OEM knockoff so they can keep their $margins.

Tom Manners requested a sample of the LoggerHead hardware in April of 2007.
    In July of 2007, Manners placed their first live order for this hardware and they use it to this day except in larger quantities.

That is a history lesson Sir that I will not forget. Sorry that you were done that way by McMillan.

Reactions: Terry Cross
    Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to get one for my TacOps. My only real complaint with the rifle is that the stock McMillan clamp bar on my A5 stock is useless, the cheekpiece does not stay in place. This looks like an easy fix.

Reactions: diggler1833
    Here are some photos of the knob on a Manners and a StockDoc/jducos retrofitted HTG. I wanted to make the beefy Manners toolless, so that's where it will stay. It portrudes slightly more on the thinner HTG, and I'll just return it to the original (KMW) hardware. For ANY thumbwheel Mcmillan, this is gonna be a win!

20240905_173918~2.jpg
    20240905_174157~3.jpg

Last edited:
    Just installed this on my TacOps X-ray 51. It definitely works!

The OEM knob never could get enough pressure on the clamps to hold up the check piece, but this new knob won't even let the check piece slide if I try to force it down by hand.

1000014513.jpg

I still need to take it out to the range, but you'll notice a scope missing. Had to send the Khales off for repair work, and not sure when that's going to be back in my hands.

Slick product. Easy upgrade for those battling the OEM knob and it's issues. Thanks for sharing @diggler1833

Just installed this on my TacOps X-ray 51. It definitely works!

The OEM knob never could get enough pressure on the clamps to hold up the check piece, but this new knob won't even let the check piece slide if I try to force it down by hand.

@diggler1833
    Thought I was the be only person who could not get the factory knobs to tighten enough. Glad these work, I have some arriving Monday.