• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Coyote Calling Season Yet?

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    I'm lost. Have absolutely nothing to do but think about calling dogs and cats! Don't get me wrong, the fireforming of brass, occasional VS shoot, WORK, wondering when the hell I am going to get last seasons mounts back, new baby boy, etc, etc, etc...........

Pretty tough to do when it's 108F out and 90F at night!

Bring on the nasty weather already!

Sendero Man.............I don't want to here it!

Re: Coyote Calling Season Yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty tough to do when it's 108F out and 90F at night!

Bring on the nasty weather already! </div></div>

Im with you on that I need this heat to go so I can drop some animals!

Man I feel for you TX fellas! How do you deal with 85F days and 50F nights in early Feb? Doesn't the cottons and rattle worms still come out to play?

The cottons go away right at the first freeze my area right now doesnt have rattlers due to the terrain. I love hunting all yr long but thats number one reason why I dont hunt the summers here the ranch I hunt is covered up in copperheads & cottons.

chilly002.jpg

This was last winter....

40below005.jpg

Rewarded for braving the elements..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm lost. Have absolutely nothing to do but think about calling dogs and cats! Don't get me wrong, the fireforming of brass, occasional VS shoot, WORK, wondering when the hell I am going to get last seasons mounts back, new baby boy, etc, etc, etc...........

Pretty tough to do when it's 108F out and 90F at night!

Bring on the nasty weather already!

Sendero Man.............I don't want to here it! </div></div>

who me ?
    wink.gif
    it is always coyote season somewhere !!!

It's crazy. Just yesterday when I was looking at the damn 10 day forecast and seen 90's 5 days in a row, with 65-75% humidity, I got the sudden urge for some snow shoe coyote hunting action. I'm ready for Fall, but not quite ready for coyote season just yet.

IMAG0167.jpg

All year here, but I have had a really tough time calling in certain areas around. I know they are there, just not aggressive. In a couple other areas (closer to OK) we have had good luck in the hottest part of the season.

I like the cold, maybe not the duration that PGS has, but the nastier the better. Thins out the competition.

Calling has really boosted in this area over the last 5 to 8 years. Seems like everyone and there dog is into it. Add that in with the $$$ hunting lease/non access issue and it get's to be a pain.

You can shoot coyotes year round in ND, along with many other states. The "season" I'm referring to is the time when I hunt them. I don't usually start in on coyotes until I've had my fill of late season waterfowl and bow hunting. Also, the fur seems to be of better quality during this time. Coyote hunting for me is an excuse to get off my ass in the cold when everybody else is sitting at home, and extend my hunting season. Winters would get quite long otherwise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm ready for Fall, but not quite ready for coyote season just yet.
    </div></div>
    there aint no love there... for love of the game buddy, i wish it were season every day of the year... BUT, i don't kill em unless i can use em, or if they got problems.

Due to calls by a few farmers, we take 'em whenever we can, or have too.

Sometimes it just ain't that easy, but I love to be out on a cold frosty morning doing a bit of screaming.

When's the snow to get here, I'm ready!

Well, I got my fix............Took this young pup on a open reed hand call yesterday am while wearing nothing other than snake boots, khaki shorts, and a tan shirt.

It is on!!!!!

2011-08-13_09-19-20_58.jpg

No Summer really to speak of here yet . N. West side of OR. it is not all that snowy or cold winters either with Lot of Rain & damp high humidity cold mostly .
    Hunt them all year round here & sometimes because the farmers ask also .

<span style="font-weight: bold">..." Sometimes it just ain't that easy" .</span>
    I just did 4 sittings on 4 different nights to Pop a coyote that was chewing-up 1" diam. black plastic irrigation drip lines on fruit farm . That little fucker was causing some extra work & nuisance for the field workers . Had one last year in totally different area of county farm doing the same thing & also asked to shoot him also .
    They are Haying & bailing for a few weeks lately . Went out last night till about 04:00 & did not see or hear a coyote to save my ass . I set-up & called & then drove to different cleared hayed fields where I glassed with NV & never seen one of those mangy flea bags . Was really weird . I never even heard any Packs light-up a Howl all night either . It's like they all twitter each other & run-off to another county & field to hunt & party .

I'm holding out for October 1st, but it's hard to wait.

PGS, those are some darn nice coyotes. -40 degrees = growling bellies and need some fuel to warm up!
    I love calling below zero. Action is fast and furious.
    great pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the specs on your rig PGS? </div></div>

Sorry, I missed your reply.

Thats a GAP Crusader .260 with a 4-16X56 Hensoldt.

The other rifle is a Surgeon Scalpel .308 with a 5-25X56 S&B PMII.

I am going out again tonight . Scouted a field today that I popped a couple coyote in early spring this year & found a couple piles of fresh Scat that was only day or two old, So enough time has passed that It's all new again for some calling there again for that location of land .
    Coyote turd piles had lots of rodent-hair & also some Blueberries in it from them crops in the fields next to there . So Looks like there eating healthy .
    Combine are cutting across other side of Highway also to this section of Ag-land . so will glass that out also latter tonight .

Edit: for Post night hunting.

'Wow' . there all night till 05:30 & are Big #'s of Coyote in that general area .
    Still seen 3 and Popped One on about 150 yrd. shot . But did let a little pup walk also . When I saw him I thought is was a rabbit or house cat hopping threw the field grass & then I Glassed & it was a real small couple month old Pup . Had him in the Retical but decided not to dirty-up the shooting spot on such a little target .
    Loss my shooting window on the Biggest one on the night . Pulled rifle off tripod & was kneeling down & doing a quick battery change-out on my IR unit . Got up & he was just there for split Sec. & moved out of range . Was his lucky night .

Also did heard about 20+ Coyote all lite-up on a group howls & yips Almost simultaneously. From 3 different spot/packs REAL close in my general area . All were in about a mile Sq. area .

I just got into it this spring then its been too damned hot. A few more weeks and we'll have some good weather. I did manage to get my 1st one in June.
    moto_0154.jpg

Gave him a sore throat with 87grs out of a 25WSSM. I've picked up a 223WSSM since then and that will be my rifle. Think I have a good load with a 55gr Nosler BT Varmit worked up for it. Need to get back out and verify my drops. I know my calling partner is itching to go.
    calling1.jpg

I bought him a RuffiDawg Jr. He's getting pretty good. He has managed to call in a few hawks to rock throwing range. Now he wants his own rifle.

Got another tonight . Good 150 yrd. & no Moon .
    last 4 coyotes I got not using any calls to bring them in . Only setting-up on travel routes that I have scouted out .
    Also .I am amazed How Many Coyotes have meet there demise from my trusty little 'pocket squeaker' , Giving me that 2-3-seconds of Freeze-Time in my Reticule .
    003-1.jpg

It's a Old ( Heavy Bogen 'copy' ) . It will hold a heavy gun . pretty good quality for a copy . Don't know the manufactures name. cant find it printed anywhere on it . but It does take the Standard Bogen quick release plate though .
    I made a quick-detach for the Pic Rail mounting myself . & others for different options of hunting equipment . Originally I made it up for Tac. Match and some high-angle shots & it works well for that . But this year I been using it 'A Bunch' & busting quite a few Coyotes off it .

(Only Negative) for Heavy Tripod . No Fun & Pain in the ASS to pack anywhere you go @ night . & really not much fun to pack around in the daytime either .

using Tripod, I am getting a pretty good instinct & techniques in using It w/set-up & positioning in getting the shot . I have learned a lot this year by packing it with me almost every time I go out calling or scouting the fields . I been knocking the crap out of them in the hayed fields this month also using it .
    A long as you got good Night Cover . High Tripod set-up Does have its advantages & gives you faster & better for visuals for you getting on them quick . As long as you use the nights where there is No moon or set-up in heavy dark foliage cover & heavy dark nighttime shade/shadow .
    If I got a lot of ambient with Half Moon or bigger then I usually stick with sitting lower with a rifle in my lap . & trying not to highlight myself in some shadow/shade . Unless I can find a 'real dark' hole in some trees or brush on the night-shade side of the Moon to integrate with .

If it is Really Dark out & No moon & I am pushing NV @ full gain to get out . Then I would rather be just standing-up with the Tripod . I am finding that Coyotes will just hang-out a distance & stay for short term scouting me because it is so dark outside . They really don't know what you are 'yet' . They DO see a black shadow movement & hear your foot steps but if they get uncomfortable & start to trot off to quick . A couple little squeaks & I buy myself a few more seconds to line-up & pull .
    Using Tripod @ night & No ambient light conditions . I figure They are @ just as much of a disadvantage as me . So all I got to do is catch/see them 1st hanging-out & scouting me before they figure-out & bail-out . But I have the higher/cleaner line of sight Standing upright than them & I usually do see them coming-in my area 1st .

Got 3 more Coyotes a few hours ago . Using the only Tripod & standing with no Moon .
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Last 8 Coyote</span> I shot using Tripod & I did not use a Electronic or Hand Call . I did it by Scouting the location of Dens & Travel Routes . Then set-up, Spot & wait . When the coyotes came within shooting Range . I would use my pocket squeaker to get them to freeze & Look in my direction . Then Pop Them & just keep on waiting & spotting for another Coyote, staying in the exact same spot till I think it is all Played-out .

Another thing I been using the Tripod for, is to Mark position of Dead Coyotes for easy direction finding & pickup in the grass fields in Dark fields . After shooting I will Lock the rifle scope on POI on the Tripod & then turn the Laser on the dead Coyotes to point its exact spot . It is NOT AS EASY as it sounds to find dead Coyotes laying in dark Fields as you would think after shooting it . Even walking out & searching with top quality pvs-14 & IR . Several times in Grass Fields & had to just go out in Daylight the next day to pick-up bodies that I walked right past & could not see that night .
    -
    004-2.jpg

Hey SC, that's a sweet set up! Are you shooting full bang ammo with that can or sub?

I really like that tripod thing you got going, that look like it'd beat the crap out of my standing bipod that I have. I guess that weight of that can helps offset the weight of the magazine on the rear of the rifle.

Thanks for sharing your set up.

Cheers,
    Breeze

Shooting . 50-Vmax @ 2950 vel. out a 16" heavy chrome with this shooter .
    I use a 8.5" short barrel suppressed for all the other close range High-Veg. areas the other 3 seasons of the year here .
    Majority Of coyotes I get are under 200 yrd. with the 16" & Nighttime . & Your odds of a precision placed shot @ Nighttime go down dramatically past that yardage . & they CAN run Loooooooong Way with a Big wound channel with major tissue damage & you will never find them . They are Tough Dogs for there body weight .

. ( i think ) . I am getting the hang of this Coyote Nighttime shooting thing after many years of it . After logging several hundred hours hunting them @ night . Something finally clicked this year & I seamed to have moved to whole different plateau in hunting them @ Night .
    I am NOT even using Calls much this year & I am still bagging them, But i put-in huge hours watching and learning then Dens & travel routes .
    & Huge hours in just watching them @ night & learning there behaviors . I am getting good results now @ Night when I get a kill by staying & working the Stand for a few more hours for 1 or 2 more Coyotes that will NOT be run-off by a Suppressed shot . If you are even 500 yrd. close to a full Den . @ Night Many times YOU WILL see other Coyotes come out of there Pack ( & Track the very same Route of the Coyote you just shot ) . ' If ' you got the patience to just stay & work it for a couple more hours or even more .

( @ Night ) Just 'forget' about the Coyote you shot & let it lay there . Stay Don't move around on your Stand or Hide & let the area cool-off for an hour . If there is 1 Coyote then there 'Is More' there listening and watching & with a strong group & Pack & 'Territorial' mentality . I Does NOT matter if you just shot one with Suppressed Centerfire Round . More are there to be had in that spot on the same Night .

Softcock, like the sound of your reply! It shows how much you respect the animal. I hunt 'em, and shoot 'em, but they are one tough survivor. I try for clean kills when I can.

We've had some very cool mornings here, but the weather report is calling for the mid 90's next week....

Man I can't wait to get out after some bears too.....dang it.

I can't wait for cooler weather. I've been watching three cross the same bean field all summer. I sure wish we could night hunt in Ar. It looks like a blast. I hope to get after them a lot more serious this season. Looking to set a few foot hold traps too. The dogs around here are pretty wise. There is alot of road hunting them almost all year. I might get to see one in twenty sets with a call. It's a little disheartening. I may start doing some night scouting though, once our state bird (mosquito) starts fading out. Lots of rice, Milo, and corn being harvested right now. The coyotes will follow real close to tractors and combines as long as you don't stop or idle down the engine. I love auto steer, just let that rig run and open the cab door to pop them. :) Cutting soybean brings them out too. They follow along waiting for a cottontail to get pushed out.

Hot today & in the 90's so I got out tonight & got set-up right @ about midnight @ a place that I rode my Bicycle to with all my gear . It was that close to my house .
    Big half-Moon tonight set about 01:30 . & just as the Moon set . Local dogs all lite-up in multiple spots but non real close . I did hear a few across the Highway less than 1-k yards from me & they were closest . They were all hanging-out in a local Nursery . But I know they all use this spot as a travel threw field & that's were I set-up & waited .

They barked & yipped & they were even closer to me . I kept waiting & glassing the big Meadow I was staking-out & about 2+ hours into it I could not wait any longer for them on there own .
    So I hit the Electronic Call with some Bawling Rabbit & about 15 minutes, I had Two run-in . I Slammed One & left him rolling & flipping, so I turned my attention strait to the other Dog .I tried to Pop the other but he was on the run out of there . I thought he was running fast. But when I missed him with the shot . I saw just how fast he could run .

Moons starting to get pretty Big out now . So I might lay-off & let it get Full & then dumped-out & get some dark nights back again before I start hitting hard some more .

Don't know where I would put this but I figure in here is a little on topic. Does anyone have any recommendations for an electronic caller that is the best bang for the money? I'd like to be able to use it across the spectrum of hunting not just for varmints. Thanks.

I should add, most callers will admit to you that they almost never use more than 5 main calls.

Having 25 would cover just about anything AND everything, even though FoxPro has something like 500 sounds.

Again, Good Luck!

PS-You don't have to buy the $500 item, you can get a much less expensive FoxPro that will do everything you want, but if you have the money...what the hell???
    wink.gif

Shit ... I still use thee SAME OLD Ancient ,original 16 sound FoxPro & jack-in-the-box w/remote . That I have had for @ LEAST 10 years or even more . Cant remember when I bought that thing . & I ONLY use 3 or 4 of those calls on it .
    Couple standard calls go a Loooooong Way . Bag the most Coyotes with just the basic Rabbit Bawling & Squeak Toy & maybe just a Coyote Bark once in a while . Only thing I would add to a my sounds would be a couple Bird distress & Calf Cry .
    What will get you more Coyotes than anything with a couple good calls . See them before they see you & be Quick & smooth to the Target with precision & solid follow-up shot if needed .

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Biggest Mistake made by folks with electronic callers is <span style="font-style: italic">too much volume</span>.</span>

I have personally seen three dogs, two at 600 yards, and another out to 700 yards, hear a hand held mouse squeeker, "squeeked" ONCE. We squeeked, and all three looked up. Amazing---Beyond comprehension.

The animals were ranged with a Leica Range Finder, and the wind was blowing at 7 mph, cross ways between us and the dogs.

My first time out will be this sunday(since february), The weather is gonna break and be under 100(99 forecast). I'm doing some filming with a buddy and trying to do an article on taking a coyote with my bow. We'll see how it works this sunday. Love hearing about others who hunt around the country, keep the pics coming. It helps us who are confined indoors in this 110+ heat!