Cracked Sphur Mount

Think you might have misread that.

as a side note aren't NF mounts like 100 in/lbs on the cross bolts?

He definitely did. The Spuhr hardware sucks, end of story. Those 1/2” knucklebuster nuts are 65-100in-lbs depending on manufacturer and model. Rarely seen them fail.

Pretty sure you guys missed the sarcasm.

The documentation that I have for Nightforce mounts says not to exceed 68 in-lbs on the crossbolts. Badger specifies 65 in-lbs.

The documentation that I have for Nightforce mounts says not to exceed 68 in-lbs on the crossbolts. Badger specifies 65 in-lbs.

Depends on the NF mount... my older NF ultralite rings and unimounts were 68 in-lb max on the cross bolts but the newer ultramounts say 100 in-lb for the cross bolts, it's laser engraved right on them. I think a Spuhr just cracked in fear after simply hearing 100 in-lb, lol

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
So I took a rifle to the range today. I had it pretty well broken down yesterday; and remounting the scope today, I just tightened the nuts with my fingers. Got to the range and fired a 5 shot group at 100 yards. Then, I remembered that the scope wasn’t tightened. Well, I didn’t have a torque wrench, but by divine providence I did have a 1/2” socket and a driver. I dogged the nuts down until they wouldn’t go, but didn’t go full ham- the driver offering none of the leverage of a ratchet.

Son of a bitch, wouldn’t you know it, the damned mount didn’t break. Fuckin’ $100 piece of shit is still holding tight without care as to my uncouth lack or torque measurement.

I dialed 45 in lbs on the torque wrench when I got home and the nuts are at least that tight… Mount still not broke. PA GLX, just as good.

Reactions: BurtG
What in the heck happened in the last few years since I've bought a new NF Unimounts? Man, I don't have any fancy laser engraved specs on my junk - I had to actually read instructions and memorize stuff. Probably should sell it and move on to more Spuhrs tightened to 50% of the manufacturer's spec.

What in the heck happened in the last few years since I've bought a new NF Unimounts? Man, I don't have any fancy laser engraved specs on my junk - I had to actually read instructions and memorize stuff. Probably should sell it and move on to more Spuhrs tightened to 50% of the manufacturer's spec.
Couple solicitations and competitions. The Ultramount was born of those efforts.

A brief review of a few other threads in the technical subforums suggests that I am not able to upgrade my older Unimounts to Ultramount status simply by tightening the crossbolts to 100 in-lbs.
I await the cracked NF/garbage thread where you will be admonished for not RTFM or actually RFTM for your non-consumer/professional product that requires tools or good hand-feel to use.

Reactions: Im2bent
I still think it's a user/over torque issue. People using garbage torque devices like a fat wrench or not knowing difference between a in and ft lb. I would have had it happen a few times now if they were all as defective as people make out.
Sometimes its like you've hacked my cameras. I'm guessing a Weaver is also a garbage torque device :geek: I have a Fat Wrench at my place in TX so I don't have to tote my "good" one back and forth in the event we're making changes in the field.

Here I was thinking I was ahead of the pack checking torque in any way, at all...

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Well. The ring caps arent different.

And
Still gonna bind parallax etc

The only scope I have personally known to see bind parallax in a sphur is kahles and zco... But those both had issues in another unimount as well

I'm not sure the ring caps cracking are as common could be wrong. I'm more curious if anyone has cracked the qd clamp bar

Reactions: lash and BurtG
I await the cracked NF/garbage thread where you will be admonished for not RTFM or actually RFTM for your non-consumer/professional product that requires tools or good hand-feel to use.

Instructions are for communists since it indicates an obvious inability to think for one's self. Going to go open a beer, bust out my best 1/2" box wrench, and go feel that crossbolt stretch to the proper preload. Then I'm going to apply another quarter-turn for good measure.

You know what would make these mounts better? More bolts, but each one tightened to a lower torque value. Then I can apply witness marks and watch for any signs of loosening, like real snipers might do.

Yes, I did. It’s a somewhat longer, uhm, story. 😁

This fellow was so deeply in love that just before he was married, he had his bride's name tattooed on his love muscle. Normally, only the first and last letters were visible, although when he was aroused, the tattoo spelled out W-E-N-D-Y. Now they're on their honeymoon at a resort in Montego Bay. One night, in the men's room, this fellow finds himself standing next to a tall Jamaican at the urinal.
To his amazement, he notices that this man, too, has the letters W-Y tattooed on his penis. "Excuse me," he says, "but I couldn't help noticing your tattoo. Do you have a girlfriend named Wendy?"
"No way, man, I work for the Tourist board. Mine reads, "Welcome to Jamaica, mon, have a nice day.'"

Edit - somebody should move this mess to the pit…

This fellow was so deeply in love that just before he was married, he had his bride's name tattooed on his love muscle. Normally, only the first and last letters were visible, although when he was aroused, the tattoo spelled out W-E-N-D-Y. Now they're on their honeymoon at a resort in Montego Bay. One night, in the men's room, this fellow finds himself standing next to a tall Jamaican at the urinal.
To his amazement, he notices that this man, too, has the letters W-Y tattooed on his penis. "Excuse me," he says, "but I couldn't help noticing your tattoo. Do you have a girlfriend named Wendy?"
"No way, man, I work for the Tourist board. Mine reads, "Welcome to Jamaica, mon, have a nice day.'"

Edit - somebody should move this mess to the pit…
Haha! Thanks for taking the time to type it out. Of course that was my reference joke. 👍🏻

• Haha
Reactions: Herb Stoner
Out of the more then 2 dozen EraTac mounts I have, none of them have cracked mounting them to pic rails. I received some Sphur mounts when I purchased a few Zco's moved the mount/scope two times and 'crack'.

Moving EraTac's 100's of times and never an issue. I use fixit sticks incrementally to obtain proper torque, and yet the Sphur still lets go.

I must be doing something wrong, not following directions 😒

Reactions: lash and BurtG
Out of the more then 2 dozen EraTac mounts I have, none of them have cracked mounting them to pic rails. I received some Sphur mounts when I purchased a few Zco's moved the mount/scope two times and 'crack'.

Moving EraTac's 100's of times and never an issue. I use fixit sticks incrementally to obtain proper torque, and yet the Sphur still lets go.

I must be doing something wrong, not following directions 😒
Below is what me, a non-expert, wrote about my limited experiences with Spuhr.

TL;DR: they seem unusually “grabby” and bind easier than others do when mounting, which might lead to cracking.

I have a couple Spuhr mounts. Each have been mounted around 3 times.

I don’t think I’m an expert in any way with these things, but I have noticed that I have to sort of wiggle the mount to get the tension out of it as I screw it down on the rail.

For example, I’ll start tightening it down and wiggle it. Sometimes the mount pops loose a bit, like it’s binding somewhere. I tighten in pretty small increments.

Somebody on the Hide mentioned they actually oil the picatinny interfaces so the mount can “settle in” with less chance of cracking. These mounts seem more prone to binding than my Mbrace.

I’m not saying it’s user error…far from it! If it’s this sort of thing that lies behind a portion of the crack reports, that’s just poor design.

Watch both my mounts crack in the damn safe tonight lol

Reactions: lash
I fully engage the clamp to the pic rail, then take up the slack from the screws before any torque is applied from a tool. As well as pull it to engage a pic cross bar too.

Torque is applied in steps, following the numbers on the clamp.

They are off my buy list for good now.

Below is what me, a non-expert, wrote about my limited experiences with Spuhr.

TL;DR: they seem unusually “grabby” and bind easier than others do when mounting, which might lead to cracking.

I’m not saying it’s user error…far from it! If it’s this sort of thing that lies behind a portion of the crack reports, that’s just poor design.

Watch both my mounts crack in the damn safe tonight lol

Reactions: carbonbased