• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Do You Use IOR Valdada 16X42 30MM Scope?

Jonny Quest

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
Houston, TX
If you have any experience with this scope, I would appreciate your candid opinion. I really like the specs on this unit, but I have no previous experience with the Valdada products.

I assume that the Schott glass in IOR Valdada is similiar to what goes into the S&B units, correct? If so, then the glass should be great stuff and this seems to be a reasonable alternative. I've heard that the IORs are built like a tank (although a bit heavy).

JQ

Re: Do You Use IOR Valdada 16X42 30MM Scope?

I have a friend who is on this forum who used to shoot one and thought it was great. Only reason he upgraded was because he got a deal on a USoptics. Poorboyshooter is his name on here, send him a pm he might be able to go into more detail.

If you want a higher fixed power, you like the reticle and can live with the capped 1/2? MOA turrets then you can't get anything better for under 1k. And yes IOR glass quality is great.

IIRC I've seen guys on here with them mounted on magnums so they have to be pretty durable too.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to make the deal and go with the Valdada. This scope will be replacing a Leupold Mark 4 4-14X40 LR/T Target. The Lupy wasn't a bad scope, but I just never felt comfortable with it so I sold it to a friend who is a long range 6mm shooter I hope that the IOR has a little better optics.

I spoke with Scott @ Liberty Optics for the purchase. Scott is First Class in customer service. Real pleasure to deal with him.

I've got 100 rounds of .308 Hornady Match 168 gr. ammo waiting for the scope to arrive.

JQ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jonny Quest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the feedback. I decided to make the deal and go with the Valdada. This scope will be replacing a Leupold Mark 4 4-14X40 LR/T Target. The Lupy wasn't a bad scope, but I just never felt comfortable with it so I sold it to a friend who is a long range 6mm shooter I hope that the IOR has a little better optics.

I spoke with Scott @ Liberty Optics for the purchase. Scott is First Class in customer service. Real pleasure to deal with him.

I've got 100 rounds of .308 Hornady Match 168 gr. ammo waiting for the scope to arrive.

JQ </div></div>i don't think you'll be disappointed.i've had several ior's and they've all been great.

Once you get it can you update this thread with your take away after shooting it? I've been looking at one of these myself to upgrade from my Vortex Viper (not bad, just want something more).

Just because IOR uses Schott glass does not mean it will be like an S&B. The raw glass brand is really not important at all. The spec that they glass is provided to the scope manufacturer is what makes the difference. You can have great Schott glass and also have crap Schott glass. It is all about what a manufacturer is willing to pay for.

Saying they use Schott glass is just a marketing gimmick for IOR, in reality it means nothing.

But all that being said, IOR does have pretty nice glass quality in their scopes. I have had 8 of them over the years and always been pleased that way.

I have a couple higher end European scopes and a couple higher end Japanese made scopes. Even though they use completely different glass companies there really is not much difference in the glass quality. It is all about the spec of the glass.