Dog breed poll

What dog breeds have you had?

• Total voters
I’ve had dobies my whole life. Current spoiled brats

IMG_0541.jpeg

6 Brittany's! That's wild. Your pup is very handsome. How big is he ?

My Britt was pretty petite, approximately 19" at the shoulder and 26 - 28" in fighting shape. Just forward of her hips, I could make a "C" clamp with my hand and hold her back. But then she had a good size ribcage and some big old lungs.

Were your Britts quiet? Mine hardly ever made a peep.
It was actually 5 after I recounted between my folks and my family. That one in the picture Was Bailey at about 12 years old. A smaller Britt that loved to go. She was about 22” and 30# of hunting lapdog. ❤️❤️🤘

IMG_1061.jpeg

She was 6 months old in this one

We added her half sister about a year before she crossed over at an old 15+.

IMG_3475.jpeg

Last edited:
Next things you’ll be asking are;

What was your high school mascot?
What was your first car?
Who was your first crush?
What month were you born?

Not today, mister Nigerian prince…

Next things you’ll be asking are;

What was your high school mascot?
What was your first car?
Who was your first crush?
What month were you born?

Not today, mister Nigerian prince…
Funny.

Actually, I'm surprised by the variety based on the multitude of German Shepherd and Short Haired Pointer photos posted previously.

Miss my mountain cur. Best dog I ever had
I got me one laying next to me on the couch right now. Drove up to Wyoming from Texas last February to pick her up. I’ve had lots of hounds since I grew up and she is really something else. Smart and incredibly athletic. I’ve never seen a dog move like her. She gives the coyotes hell.

Looks like a wolf/wolf-dog.
They are mix breeds. Generally Malamute,Husky,German Shepard, and sometimes a little bit of Sarloos and or Czech wolfdog blood.

More of a wolf dog lookalike with little to no actual wolf blood that are known for having a gentle disposition.

Mine has the above mentioned genetics and it is interesting to see the different breed characteristics manifested in him. Has the size, talks and pouts like a malamute, more independent than a Shepard and protective but not a flight risk like husky. Fur pattern of a Czech wolfdog.

All around chill, happy dog.

Reactions: UKDslayer
I got me one laying next to me on the couch right now. Drove up to Wyoming from Texas last February to pick her up. I’ve had lots of hounds since I grew up and she is really something else. Smart and incredibly athletic. I’ve never seen a dog move like her. She gives the coyotes hell.
They're almost like cats the way they move. Mine killed so many rabbits, birds, squirrels, etc out of the yard. The first few years were like living with a wild animal but she was also lover who hated to be away from me. Id get another one no question

Akitas are a special breed and there is no other dog like them. My boy has been the best dog over ever had and I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when he's gone. He's 12 years old now and is showing signs of his age. I will have to get another big dog for sure but with the heat we have in AL, I just don't think I should get another Akita. It's just not a good climate for them here though they are the absolute most amazing breed ever.

I've looked at Italian mastiff (C corso) and that's a very likely option but anyone else ITT have an idea for a large breed that would do well in the heat and protect my family and property and be a good family dog?

Anatolian Mastiff

That's a big dog for sure. Can they deal with the heat well? What about drool and shedding? Our dog lives with us inside and the shedding is a big issue I've learned to live with to have Akita's, but if I'm going to give up having my beloved Akita, I'd rather not have the shedding.
I can't really answer the heat question as I'm up north so we don't really get excessively hot days (90 is hot for us). We just make sure the dog has water and they have been fine. They usually find shade somewhere or lay in the garage.

We have one inside/outside and one outside with garage access/bed. Preferably we would have had both outside with a garage bed for them but it's too late for that now.

Drooling and shedding aren't as bad as other large breeds but it does happen. They are great protectors and need to be trained as such.

This breed isn't like a golden retriever that's going to be overly playful but they are very loyal. Socializing them to friends and family at a young age is helpful. Our family has 100+ acres that these dogs protect.

If you are protecting chickens and other animals I'd suggest getting a couple of geese (can't remember the type). The geese can't protect against coyotes but they serve as an early warning for the dogs to take action.

Reactions: BuildingConceptsllc
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel for the win. Great around the house and with kids....killer hunters in the field. Very selectively breed by the Field Trial community and completely different from the show springers that most are familiar with. Separated from the show variety since the 1500's in England, Scotland and Wales and imported to the US. Need plenty of room to run but sure are fun.

How the fuck does that work? :unsure:
Didn't think I'd have to spell it out, kind of ruins the joke, but here you go:

Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 21.09. Bestiality​

Current as of April 14, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff
(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly:
(1) engages in an act involving contact between:
(A) the person's mouth, anus, or genitals and the anus or genitals of an animal;  or
(B) the person's anus or genitals and the mouth of the animal;
(2) fondles or touches the anus or genitals of an animal in a manner that is not a generally accepted and otherwise lawful animal husbandry or veterinary practice, including touching through clothing;
(3) causes an animal to contact the seminal fluid of the person;
(4) inserts any part of a person's body or any object into the anus or genitals of an animal in a manner that is not a generally accepted and otherwise lawful animal husbandry or veterinary practice;
(5) possesses, sells, transfers, purchases, or otherwise obtains an animal with the intent that the animal be used for conduct described by Subdivision (1), (2), (3), or (4);
(6) organizes, promotes, conducts, or participates as an observer of conduct described by Subdivision (1), (2), (3), or (4);
(7) causes a person to engage or aids a person in engaging in conduct described by Subdivision (1), (2), (3), or (4);
(8) permits conduct described by Subdivision (1), (2), (3), or (4) to occur on any premises under the person's control;
(9) engages in conduct described by Subdivision (1), (2), (3), or (4) in the presence of a child younger than 18 years of age;  or
(10) advertises, offers, or accepts the offer of an animal with the intent that the animal be used in this state for conduct described by Subdivision (1), (2), (3), or (4).
(b) An offense under this section is a state jail felony, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (a)(9) or results in serious bodily injury or death of the animal, in which event the offense is a felony of the second degree.
(c) It is an exception to the application of this section that the conduct engaged in by the actor is a generally accepted and otherwise lawful animal husbandry or veterinary practice.

• Haha
Reactions: Marinevet1
Lot of stuff missing for this poll. Some to consider, in no particular order.

German Sheperd (on your list). Fantastic digs but prone to hip problems
Belgian Malinois. Great breed, but has to be stimulated and best trained.
Tibetan Mastiff depending on where you are
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Belgian shepherd
Australian Sheperd
Alaskan Malamute
Siberian Husky (needs stimulation or will get into crap)

But don’t discount the mixed breed either. Some of the best dogs I ever had were mixed. Had a pointer/collie mix and a Shiba Inu/Lab mix that were both rescues and some of the best dogs I ever had! Highly intelligent. Pretty unique too in a way. Don’t discount the rescues!

Reactions: Modoc

Rhodesian Ridgeback
Belgian shepherd
Australian Sheperd
Alaskan Malamute

But don’t discount the mixed breed either. Some of the best dogs I ever had were mixed. Had a pointer/collie mix and a Shiba Inu/Lab mix that were both rescues and some of the best dogs I ever had! Highly intelligent. Pretty unique too in a way. Don’t discount the rescues!

Although, the mixed breed thing can get a tad "excessive."

In re: "Labradoodle, GoldenDoodle, etc."

doodleman-pinscher.jpg

The "Doodleman Pinscher????" Seriously???? :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SilentStalkr

Rhodesian Ridgeback
Belgian shepherd
Australian Sheperd
Alaskan Malamute

List was made up of dogs most frequently posted on Man's Best Friend thread. Personally, have had mutts, GSDs, and Akitas--all great. Want to try Golden, Boxer, and Weimeraner, but I'm getting old.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Akitas are a special breed and there is no other dog like them. My boy has been the best dog over ever had and I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when he's gone. He's 12 years old now and is showing signs of his age. I will have to get another big dog for sure but with the heat we have in AL, I just don't think I should get another Akita. It's just not a good climate for them here though they are the absolute most amazing breed ever.

I've looked at Italian mastiff (C corso) and that's a very likely option but anyone else ITT have an idea for a large breed that would do well in the heat and protect my family and property and be a good family dog?

Boerboel.

I'm assuming that since you mentioned the Cane Corso that you've already planned on the required training and socialization.

Reactions: PusherX11
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel for the win. Great around the house and with kids....killer hunters in the field. Very selectively breed by the Field Trial community and completely different from the show springers that most are familiar with. Separated from the show variety since the 1500's in England, Scotland and Wales and imported to the US. Need plenty of room to run but sure are fun.
i had one when i was a kid and loved that dog. I still miss her to this day. great at everything and smart as a whip.