Dog breed poll

What dog breeds have you had?

• Total voters
We've got 250 lbs of Bernese Mountain Dogs..............loveable, gentle, love their people..............AKA big goof balls..........

IMG_2647.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 14
Let's see...

1 GSD/Greyhound mix
3 Labs.
2 English Mastiffs

And currently...

1 Great Dane
1 Dane/Mastiff mix
1 Bullmastiff

Hard to say which breed is my favorite, probably English Mastiffs, even though 1 of them attacked me and I ended up in the ER for stitches & x-rays. He really was a big baby, and we suspect slightly retarded. I DO NOT RECOMMEND FIGHTING A 200 LB. DOG!!! :ROFLMAO:

Best/smartest we've had was our 1st Lab. Wife wasn't working when we got him, and didn't have any kids yet so we spent a lot of time training him.
German Shepherd Greyhound. Tell me more. This is interesting.

My folks had a Chihuahua-Terrier mix when I was a kid.
I was 19 when I got my first dog. Puppy was a Great Dane-German Shepherd mix. I had him about 2 years. He jumped out the bed of my El Camino at a stop light and I never found him.

I got my next dog a year after getting married. Rica was a Australian Shepherd and she lived to be 16.

34.jpg

After Rica passed we got Rusty, another Australian Shepherd. He was a red merle and lived to be 13. He died from cancer.

PC210014.JPG

When Rusty was 2 we got him a friend from the humane shelter. Maggie was a blue merle Australian Shepherd. She was my baby and lived to be 16.

P4084570.jpg

Penny was an abandoned stray that I brought home from work. She was the most appreciative dog I've ever known. She always came to give you a kiss after you would feed her. She knew what it was like to be hungry & cold. The bottom right pic was the day I brought her home. The rest were taken over the years. She died from canine immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. We had her for 12 years.

4.jpg

We lost Rusty, then Penny, and finally Maggie over a period of about 18 months. I wasn't sure my heart could take losing another, but my wife couldn't be without a dog. We got Jolly Roger the Pirate dog when he was about 6 months old from a young couple that had 2 other dogs and were getting an infant foster child. My wife had a DNA test done and Jolly is a mix of 35% Chihuahua, 30% Miniature Poodle, 17% Pomeranian, 2% Toy Fox Terrier-English Cocker Spaniel-Medium Poodle-Shih Tzu-Mi Ki-American Foxhound, and 5% Pyrenian Mastiff. Jolly weighs all of 10 pounds and is now about 3 1/2 years old.

4.jpg

German Shepherd Greyhound. Tell me more. This is interesting.
Damn, that was a long time ago. Cool dog, Shepard's coloring with a Greyhound build.

Had him when I lived in FL, on a dirt road outside Daytona. Had him in the back of my roommates truck one day and he jumped out about a 1/2 mile from home. We clocked him at 45 all the way!

My vote is for a Boerboel. Massive working dog, excellent with children, wary with strangers. Originally bread to protect villages in South Africa from predators. When we loose our English Bulldog, we will get a Boerboel. View attachment 8436241
A popular mix breed is a boerboel crossed with a rhodesian ridgeback. Imagine the smarts and cunning of the ridgeback in the body of a boerboel.

Reactions: PusherX11
I am thinking about one. The GSD is old with bad hips. What do you think of them? Can they fight off coyotes?
Mine was a straight killer of anything not human. She took down a small deer once. It got away but she got it in the ground. They definitely need to be worked or hunted or they get anxious. Great with people and kids and very smart.

Mine was a straight killer of anything not human. She took down a small deer once. It got away but she got it in the ground. They definitely need to be worked or hunted or they get anxious. Great with people and kids and very smart.
I've only seen one. Brindle color and athletic. I asked the girl who was walking it what is was. That thing hit the bark park and it was the fastest dog I ever seen, aside from greyhounds and whippet.

English Mastiff x 4
Border Terriers x 3
Jack Russel Terrier (JRTCA not akc)
Irish Setter
Pug
Pit
Akita x 4
Catahoula
Brittany Spaniel
Poodle
Chihuahua/JRT mix

I've only seen one. Brindle color and athletic. I asked the girl who was walking it what is was. That thing hit the bark park and it was the fastest dog I ever seen, aside from greyhounds and whippet.
20190623_223309.jpg

They are incredibly athletic. I had a 5 foot fence mine could hop from a stand still like it was nothing. I really miss that dog had her for 15 years

Reactions: sakoguy21
Mouse - 40lbs shi tsu, bichon, huntaway, Welsh collie mix, very smart, hard to train, insane prey drive

Bear - 100lbs rottweiler/ridgeback 70/30. Soppy, smart, very keen to please and trains great

Both a pleasure to have in the house, would fight many people to protect either of them.
1000000215.jpg
1000000512.jpg

Our current couch potato is a male Catahoula.
We have always had German Shephards until this goofball.
Very intelligent, loving and gentil with kids and even cats strangely but was raised with two cats.
He has some strange habits I had never seen with Shepherds like he loves to wear clothes human or his own, likes to poop on or in things so it's elevated above the ground like in bushes and likes to try and climb in your lap to sleep even though he is 110 pounds.

Rhodesian Ridgeback, wouldn't have any other breed now. Very clever dogs, sneaky and mischievous but extremely loyal and listen to every word you say and remembers them. Mine knows food, grub, treat, ear, lung, ham, salami, pastrami, cat (aka boring), squirrel, ribs, steak, beef, hungry... basically anything to do with meat or furry creatures :ROFLMAO: Play hide the treat and he'll go by memory first before having to exert himself sniffing it out!

Very athletic for a big dog but quiet and lazy most of the time. Only ever barks if surprised by a stranger. He remembers all the postmen and delivery guys, you know when it's a different one when you hear a low rumble. If I hear him I know I should go and have a look.

Reactions: PusherX11
After 6 french Briards last one of which was an absolute gem, one in a thousand , exceptional quality both build and character , after that i picked Black Russian Terrier ,due Briard breed deteriorated to much to chance it again , BRT is quite healthy as its a crafted working breed and not being overbreed.

Now downsized to an Australian Cattle dog waiting for a Red Heller pup , to be of age for pickup/import ,spent coupe of months and over a dozen breeders in 4 countries before settling on one. Picking him up 3 or so weeks will be a long drive ....

Always spent time looking for quality, healthy breeds and litters , first and foremost chasing healthy dogs , so far it worked out , hope it continues with the new ACD even with all the effort it always a bit of a lottery , its getting harder most breeds are beyond fucked up by unscrupulous breeders , more popular the breed more fucked up it is.

My BRT passed aways just weeks ago at 13y
2016-04-10 14.30.30.jpg

Last edited:
What average age have yours reached? Mine is almost 8 and showing signs of hip issues.
6 all died of old age at 14-15
One at 10.5 from metastatic toenail bed cancer ( squamous cell) metastatic to the brain
currently have 3 --5,11, and 15( she is starting to fail, but is not ready to meet her maker ,and is from the first litter of the Wminster winner 16 or so years ago).

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Just like many other choice breeds listed, your bullmastiff will look at you to see how they should react. Bullmastiffs big, "dumb" dogs but will add that our first Bullmastiff could find my lost arrows if I couldn't. I know, "cool starry bruh" We never traine our bullmastiffs to attack. All regular days, we had a big bulldog. When unknown people are near, just like other dogs listed already, your dog will look to you to see how the dog should react. I told our first bullmastiff the the fire marshall was here and he's okay, I nearly dislocated both of my shoulders trying to stop "Bruin" from killing the fire dude. I wonder what the dog knew that I didn't.

At the time, I learned to trust my dog to let me know who is and who isn't okay to be around my family.

Reactions: Gogga and AmmoFort
Newfoundland
Manchester/Dachshund mix
Benji dog (whatever the hell that is)
Doberman
Collie/GSD mix
Golden/Chow mix
Heinz 57 mix
GSD
Min Pin
Baggle (Basset/Beagle mix)

Current pup is 87% GSD, and the rest is Australian Shepherd, Pit Bull, & Beagle... according to Embark.

IMG_0709.JPG