• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Drill Press: Grizzly or Jet?

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I need to replace a wobbly Harbor Freight drill press I sold before we moved. There is, unfortunately, a large difference in price between what I would like and what I can afford. I need a DP that will handle woodwork (most of the time), with occasional precision drilling in brass, aluminum, iron and steel (probably no more than 1/4" thick).

After searching for almost a year, I have not found any good used DPs for sale in Wyoming and northern Colorado.

These two DPs are at the upper end of my budget (my wallet is whimpering). My questions are:

- Will either of these work for what I need?
- Is the Jet really worth $246 more than the Grizzly?
- I have read that spindle wobble can be corrected (if you know how). Does anyone have experience correcting wobble with either of these machines and, if so, how difficult is the job?

Grizzly ($438.95 delivered)
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943

Jet ($685.36 delivered)
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200403065_200403065

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Richard

A good friend of mine who's in his late 70's is a retired machinist/tool die maker. He's a big fan of old American lathes and mills. I asked him about lathes and he summed it up like this.....A majority of machinery manufactured overseas comes from roughly 2-3 casting/manufacturing plants. The plant will cast a specific number of frames. Once the process is completed, they will go through and grade their units in order and assign a number to them. Companies such as JET and Grizzly will buy these units and complete the final assembly. JET would be closer to the best made stuff while Grizzly may be the next level followed by others.

The top grade will usually assemble with no problem, everything lines up perfectly. The next level may be slightly blemished due to some casting imperfections that would require some sanding/machining but nothing apparent to the naked eye or person not knowing what to look for. This second level does not affect performance or quality, just some labor to pretty it up.

Something below that may require additional labor/time to get everything nice looking and functioning correctly while the lowest grade may require fitting and parts. Look at this as time. Time to get it functioning correctly. Time equals money. Smaller companies may not want to spend the extra money but would rather stick a Human there to get it working.

I have used and owned JET, Grizzly, and Harbor Freight Tools machinery now or at one point. Jet being pretty close to perfect as well as Grizzly while the Harbor Freight being the lowest in quality of the three I've personally had. I think the Grizzly will serve you fine. They haven't been in the business that long for selling horrible machinery and bad customer service.

I had a JET 9X20 lathe that ran almost 4-6 hours a day for close to 10 years, used and abused until it was n o longer worth the money to fix it and getting it back into shape. I replaced it with a Grizzly 11X27. Grizzly has been used 2-3 hours a day for the last 4 years no problem.

I bought a bandsaw from a home improvement show locally made by Homier. It was crap from day one and I replaced it with Harbor Freight which was on sale and a 20% off coupon. The HF runs good going on three years. I thought Harbor Freight was crap but the Homier was even lower in quality.

I don't see a difference to justify the JET drill purchase over Grizzly, especially since replacement parts from Grizzly is usually lower in price and product availability is usually better.

Watch eBay and buy something American from the '50s. Will cost you nothing and be better than any modern-made stuff manufactured by people who use their feet in lieu of a fixturing setup.

Worst case... look for Taiwan equipment from the '60's through '80s. That stuff was good, too.

But old drill presses cost nothing.... Don't buy new crap. It's all made in China and smelted down from pig iron cast in someone's back yard.

Or just save yourself a step, skip the drillpress and get yourself a nice Bridgeport and a collet-chuck. You will get a better piece of kit and do way more with it... (Says the devil on your shoulder.)

Watch Vintage tomorrow for my weekend Bridgeport project.

Cheers,

Sirhr

DeltaRadialDrill110va.jpg

Like Sir said, get an older machine that's built with some mass and not a bunch of Chinese made stamped parts.

Clausing, Walker Turner, Delta, Buffalo Forge... or a similarly well built press are not too hard to locate if you hunt a little.

Like Sir said, get an older machine that's built with some mass and not a bunch of Chinese made stamped parts.

Clausing, Walker Turner, Delta, Buffalo Forge... or a similarly well built press are not too hard to locate if you hunt a little.

That's a gorgeous unit... love the table! Most drill press tables suck. This is almost a mill!

Nice!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Watch eBay and buy something American from the '50s. Will cost you nothing and be better than any modern-made stuff manufactured by people who use their feet in lieu of a fixturing setup.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sirhr,

I fully agree with your assessment of affordable (by me) modern DPs and your recommendations, and have included ebay in my search. The problem is that almost all the auctions/fixed-price sales specify local pickup only. For instance, the one whose link you sent is in Rhode Island. This is more than a hop, skip and jump from Wyoming.

Having been settled and industrialized first, the eastern states hold most of the Bridgeports, etc, that everyone recommends. The ones that have made it this far west are guarded by mine fields and half-starved Dobermans.

I do regret that I am not qualified to restore a rusted, beat DP, even assuming I could find good parts for a vintage machine. Besides, I need the bloody thing now.

Cheers,
Richard

You might be surprised what's out West. Though California is not as near to you as RI is to us... nor is Wash. State... both had huge industrial infrastructures, largely aircraft industry. And Montana had mining, bigtime. Along with very self-sufficient ranches, small town garages and other facilities. Montanans made things themselves. Drill presses were the first thing they bought for 100 years on their farms and ranches.

f you check Craig's List or look at eBay listings based on mileage/nearest distance, you may be surprised!

He's one in Babcock: Nice Blackhawk for $250

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/tls/d...351899789.html

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/images.craigslist.org\/00505_cK70O7YJ79W_600x450.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Again, I understand the new tools argument. But after a few things get munched, drilled out of line and belts slip.... you will understand the 'quality' of some of the modern tools is really more about convenience. And not much of that.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Set up a recurring search on ebay, sort by nearest first and be patient. Things turn up all over the country. My only problem is when something I've been looking for is listed near home, I'm stuck on a job a thousand miles away. And ditto on avoiding the newer Asian stuff. I turned a cast adapter for a cheap rotary table yesterday and the material more crumbled rather than coming off in clean chips.

And sorry... you are in Wyoming. Another beautiful state... but my mistake. Actually, the most beautiful state. I love the Cody area. Sorry for confusing it with Montana. Which I also love.

Here's a vintage Delta in Cheyenne.

https://wyoming.craigslist.org/tls/d/1947-delta-milwalkee-drill/6333973408.html

Looks like all it needs is some cleaning. That machine will out-last 3 generations...

Cheers,

Sirhr

And sorry... you are in Wyoming. Another beautiful state... but my mistake. Actually, the most beautiful state. I love the Cody area. Sorry for confusing it with Montana. Which I also love.

Here's a vintage Delta in Cheyenne.

https://wyoming.craigslist.org/tls/d/1947-delta-milwalkee-drill/6333973408.html

Looks like all it needs is some cleaning. That machine will out-last 3 generations...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sirhr,

> I love the Cody area.

It does have its attractions. But wander in to Laramie some time; it has its own beauty, and is perhaps the friendliest town in the state.

Concerning the vintage Delta, on the one hand, Cheyenne's only 50 miles or so from me and the price is right.

On the other hand, are you saying that this looks like a good buy? I realize the photo is remarkably bad, but the machine looks as though it's being held together by rust. Having never disassembled/cleaned/restored a drill press, this one appears to be well outside my areas of expertise. Should it be available and if I were to toddle over to peruse the item, is there anything obvious to look for that would indicate it is not a suitable purchase? For instance, the spindle wobbles (or falls out) when shaken. I suspect that parts would be a real witch (you can correct my spelling) to find.

If I had all the time in the world, I certainly would peruse Craigslist, ebay, etc on a daily basis. However, our new (and last) home has just been completed, we're moving in, and there are several shop items/rifle racks/etc that I need to make that require a drill press. So I sincerely regret that my need is fairly pressing (no pun intended) and a multi-month search is out of the question.

As always, I value your informed opinions and recommendations.

Cheers,
Richard

As mentioned above keep an eye on eBay or other sites for vintage US made machines. Picked up a Clausing 20" drill press which required some work to get it to function the way I wanted. Called up Clausing when needed parts and they had them in stock. Great piece of equipment.

US made machine, period. I like Bridgeport but most of the good makers aren't even in business anymore.

If you only want a drill press, look on govliquidation. You'll need to sign up for it, but that's the way I'd go. They unload machines constantly. Some are near new CNC mills, some are manual, some are big and some are small. All are usually cheaper than anywhere else.

Only problem with buying large machines on there is that you never really know what you are getting... It would behoove you to personally inspect it. I'd hate to pay $1k for logistics to ship a goddamn 6 ton paperweight across the country, but you can save a lot that way if careful.

Richard:

Worth a look. First, dirt is no problem. Wipes off with a bit of engine degreaser and paper towels. Light surface rust is also no problem. Scotchbrite and laquer thinner will remove discoloration.

Make sure it runs and spins. Doesn't make any squaling noises or grinding noises from bearings/belts/motor. Run motor a few minutes until it gets warm. Turn off and on. Does the trip still work (if it has one) on the motor. Does the quill come down smoothly? Does the table move smoothly. If the table is not perfectly smooth, is it being held up by a bit of surface rust or old oil/cutting fluid tthat is easily removed. See paragraph 1. Make sure Chuck opens/closes smoothly. Though it's probably a Morse taper chuck... easily replaced. That's about it.

What you are looking for... deep rust pits and frozen parts (rusted together.). Worn out quill. Bent (unlikely) or cracked (also unlikely) castings. Signs of wanton abuse. Think of it like a gun. If it's dirty because that's how it came out of a nice dry closet... no problem. If it was used as a fencepost... well... problem.

Cheers. It's worth a look and a couple of hours of 'clean-up' will give you a machine that could last lifetimes... heck, probably already has!

Sirhr

Richard:

Worth a look. First, dirt is no problem.
Cheers. It's worth a look and a couple of hours of 'clean-up' will give you a machine that could last lifetimes... heck, probably already has!

Sirhr
Sirhr,

No answer to my phone call, so shall assume it's sold. I'll have to be quicker.

Many thanks for suggestions and information about checking a used machine.

Cheers,
Richard

Is there a reason a Porter Cable from the nearest Lowes is not an option?

I like vintage tools too, but if you just need a drill press to get stuff done...

I have a 40 year old Jet bench top drill press from the japan days. I got it used in 1978.

I also have an even older Rockwell floor standing drill press that is American. I got it from the previous owner's widow.

I have updated the chucks of both drill presses to key-less, but I cannot update the lack of table raising rack and pinion on the Rockwell.

So you can buy old American, but it is not always better.

Richard:

Worth a look. First, dirt is no problem. Wipes off with a bit of engine degreaser and paper towels. Light surface rust is also no problem. Scotchbrite and laquer thinner will remove discoloration.

Sirhr

Sirhr,

Seller was just slow in answering. For $200 I took a chance on what is a 1946 Delta floor model that has minimal rust and crud, a Sears and Roebuck 1/3 HP motor, only 4 speeds, and no discernible runout when checked with a 1/4" drill bit. Thing weighs a ton. "Plastic and aluminum? Non capisce." We had to take it apart to fit in my wife's car.

While it's apart, I'll clean it up with the degreaser and laquer thinner.

It also came with an odd vise that I'll need to figure out how to use.

Before I reinvent the wheel, are there any good 'net sources for information about lubrication, assembly and, if necessary, adjustment? I'm also wondering if it would be possible/worth while to convert it to 5 speeds.

Cheers,
Richard

Sirhr,

Seller was just slow in answering. For $200 I took a chance on what is a 1946 Delta floor model that has minimal rust and crud, a Sears and Roebuck 1/3 HP motor, only 4 speeds, and no discernible runout when checked with a 1/4" drill bit. Thing weighs a ton. "Plastic and aluminum? Non capisce." We had to take it apart to fit in my wife's car.

While it's apart, I'll clean it up with the degreaser and laquer thinner.

It also came with an odd vise that I'll need to figure out how to use.

Before I reinvent the wheel, are there any good 'net sources for information about lubrication, assembly and, if necessary, adjustment? I'm also wondering if it would be possible/worth while to convert it to 5 speeds.

Cheers,
Richard

Congrats. Your great grandkids will be using that machine.,,,when I get power back and,am not typing on an infernal phone... Ill,send more. Doubt you need,5,speeds... Youd be better off,with variable,speed,inverter. But,doubt,you need,one. I change,speeds on my drill press,maybe once a year. Clean. If it,moves,lube it. If,it,doesn't paint it. Send pix of,vice. A good drill,press,vice alone can be several hundred bucks. If you got a two axis. With tilt... That's worth more than you paid,for. He'll,of a, machine. Cheers, sirhr

Congrats. Your great grandkids will be using that machine.,,,when I get power back and,am not typing on an infernal phone... Ill,send more. Doubt you need,5,speeds... Youd be better off,with variable,speed,inverter. But,doubt,you need,one. I change,speeds on my drill press,maybe once a year. Clean. If it,moves,lube it. If,it,doesn't paint it. Send pix of,vice. A good drill,press,vice alone can be several hundred bucks. If you got a two axis. With tilt... That's worth more than you paid,for. He'll,of a, machine. Cheers, sirhr

Sadly, not a two-axis. Shall add a pic asap.

Variable speed inverter? Shall have to research the possibilities.

Being without power these days is truly irksome. It's why I added a backup whole-house generator to the new house. Now if the factory tech will just show up and get it working.

Cheers,
Richard

Pictures of the vise.

Vise_3353.jpg

Vise_3354.jpg

It's stamped:

Armstrong Bros Tool Co
Chicago USA
No. 2 V

It appears that you set the gross adjustment by loosening the two bottom screws and sliding the top portion into position. Then fine adjustment uses the threaded handle. There does not seem to be a way to readily attach it to the drill press table, which is large and solid with no slots, anyway.

Cheers,
Richard