DTA SRS 338 Lapua @ One Mile

bribri

Always Smooth
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Nebraska
    I thought I would share a video of myself shooting my Desert Tactical Arms (Stealth Recon Scout) at 1760 yards confirmed with my Bushnell range finding binoculars.

I am using the 300 SMK and 90 grains of Retumbo powder if anyone is curious. It was 30 degrees, 82% humidity, my barometer was reading 29.51, the wind was blowing from my 7 o'clock at 8 to 12 mph, and my elevation is right around 1500 feet. It required 70 minutes of angle.

You can only hear the impact on the first shot(turn up your volume), then the wind picks up and you can't here the other impacts. If you watch the target closely you can see it sway after each shot to confirm hits. I really want a new HD video camera.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/APZyP5sXIY8&feature=relmfu"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/APZyP5sXIY8&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I also took a few pictures. I manged to hit the target 9 out of 20 times. It took me 5 shots to get on target, and while trying to get on target, one of my misses actually hit my 6" spinner target.

009-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

The last picture is from my taget to our machine shed, where my shooting plaform is attached.

010-3.jpg

Re: DTA SRS 338 Lapua @ One Mile

My velocity is around 2800 fps at 60 degrees F, and I am zeroed at 100 yards. So due too the cold temperature I'm guessing I lost around 50 fps. So that puts me at 2750fps, which would take 70 moa at 1760 yards according to my ballistic calculator.

My handloads are pretty mild compared to others....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoomerTG1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shootin man, how often do you get to reach out like that with your .338?</div></div>

Only when the corn and soybeans are out, which is usually between October through May...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What scope do you have on your SRS?</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What scope do you have on your SRS?</div></div>

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the NP-R1 reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting.

Who did your camo job on the rifle? Looks good.

And good God that looks cold....

Parker</div></div>

Todd Jackson aka 30calsniper here on the hide, but I'm not sure if he does custom paint jobs anymore.

9/20 is real good at 1760 esp with any wind, on that size target. Good work. 5 shots to calibrate wind and finetune elevation seems about right. I've done it with less sighters, but that was more luck than skill, since it's also taken more
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting ya plug. That's way out there. </div></div>

You should have came down.....you can't say you weren't invited.

Next time we'll get your WSM to reach out there, maybe those 208 amax's will really shine in you rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    You should have came down.....you can't say you weren't invited.

Next time we'll get your WSM to reach out there, maybe those 208 amax's will really shine in you rifle. </div></div>

That'd be sweet, I'm hoping they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My velocity is around 2800 fps at 60 degrees F, and I am zeroed at 100 yards. So due too the cold temperature I'm guessing I lost around 50 fps. So that puts me at 2750fps, which would take 70 moa at 1760 yards according to my ballistic calculator.

My handloads are pretty mild compared to others.... </div></div>

What is your overall cartridge length using the 300gr Sierra MK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting.

Who did your camo job on the rifle? Looks good.

<span style="font-weight: bold">And good God that looks cold....</span>

Parker </div></div>

Cold...u should've seen the day before!!
    He's got a 6.5x47 barrel thats real accurate as well.
    Nice shootin Brian, u got an awesome place up there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lapua001</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My velocity is around 2800 fps at 60 degrees F, and I am zeroed at 100 yards. So due too the cold temperature I'm guessing I lost around 50 fps. So that puts me at 2750fps, which would take 70 moa at 1760 yards according to my ballistic calculator.

My handloads are pretty mild compared to others.... </div></div>

What is your overall cartridge length using the 300gr Sierra MK?

</div></div>

3.680"

in that pic above, what rifle is the one closest to the photographer, with the can?
    That really looks pretty mobile. What caliber, model, etc..?

I can't wait to get my 338 barrel for my DTA. Thanks for the vid! It makes me very excited to attempt this myself.

And, WOW that looks cold! But the open fields make for good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be the Covert model. </div></div>

Thanks will check into that model...