Rifle Scopes Explain the top half of the H59

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I need some help. Picked up an S&B PMII 5-25 with H59. I got it mainly for the grid on the lower half (helps during matches to hold over).

Can someone explain the movers/speed shooting/top half of the reticle? The link/explanation below is very confusing.

is the stairstep a ranging tool? In the example he uses 12”. Most other reticle/formulas us 18 (for obvious reasons).

Any help is appreciated.

https://horusvision.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/how-to-use-the-h58-reticle-by-todd-hodnett/

I need some help. Picked up an S&B PMII 5-25 with H59. I got it mainly for the grid on the lower half (helps during matches to hold over).

Can someone explain the movers/speed shooting/top half of the reticle? The link/explanation below is very confusing.

is the stairstep a ranging tool? In the example he uses 12”. Most other reticle/formulas us 18 (for obvious reasons).

Any help is appreciated.

https://horusvision.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/how-to-use-the-h58-reticle-by-todd-hodnett/
It is confusing. It is a goatfuck of a reticle. Nobody knows that shit!

It's just mils. The hop half has .5, .6, .7, .8 and .9 marks with a 1 mil hash at the center. You can use any size target you like, they just show 12" as an example. An 18" target is at 500 if it's 1 mil, 550 if .9, 620 if .8, 710 if .7 etc., just use your MilDot Master.

The mover system is never going to work, as target size has no relation to speed.

I agree with Skookum, it's a goatfuck system.

If you've used the mover system, it's like cheating. The number corresponds to the speed of the mover. When the mover hits the speed you've calculated, that's when you shoot.

I like the H59. The moving scale is based on some underlying assumptions. These might help.

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.53.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.44.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.45.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.45.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.46.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.46.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.47.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 7.47.27 AM.png

If you've used the mover system, it's like cheating. The number corresponds to the speed of the mover. When the mover hits the speed you've calculated, that's when you shoot.
Now all you have to do, is find a target that runs in consistent speeds at 90 degrees to your position. Then this would work awesome!

Reactions: Bender and b6graham
Almost like at a PRS match!

Or if any moving target has any steady lateral speed component to its movement, the process is the same. If you miss, you just adjust the speed to a different number.

Having said that, I hate the reticle, but the mover feature is the best part about it.

Now all I have to do is find a target that has a consistent wind 90 degrees to my position and my Kestrel will be awesome too.

The mover referencing is not a complete solution, however it offers a consistent reference system to combine with shooter experience, rather than wild ass guessing. The mover referencing has nothing to do with target size or goat fucking; one can either use the horizontal indices above the horizontal reticle or the matrix below for sizing targets.

Now all I have to do is find a target that has a consistent wind 90 degrees to my position and my Kestrel will be awesome too.
Agreed. Though a Kestrel can be used to calbrate your brain to what you are feeling on your face and seeing through the scope. That is the only reason I carry one daily at work. When I notice and interesting wind condition, I get out with the kestrel and spend some time studying it.

Except of course the underlying assumptions are nonsense, and you still have to estimate the mover speed in the first place. Why not just apply the correct formula and hold that many mils, how do those marks help me do that?

I am not opining to convince or persuade anyone as to the merits / demerits of the H59. I only chimed in to answer the OP's original request as to a further explanation of how / why the system is designed. Those using non Horus / Tremor styled reticles, of which i use both and conventional mil-dot SB reticles, might not have any interest in this information. The OP didn't ask to be persuaded to a different system than he just purchased!

You might not always have the time luxury to see the target moving and start calculations in your head then adjust your hold.

However, with use, just like one has a data base between their ears as to common sizes of targets, humanoids, backpacks, stop signs etc, moving targets such as human locomotion, vehicles moving at various speeds on different roadways or neighborhoods etc. studying these movements thru a H59 styled reticle it is easier to appreciate its design in this regard.

Again, it's no different than seeing the sage grass or tree leaves in motion and guesstimating the wind, confirm with Kestrel, select a wind dot on the Tremor reticle; just don't need to have a secondary tool such as a Kestrel for movement purposes.

Reticle variants such as the H59 and Tremors arose to meet the needs not met by shooters using conventional mil-dot systems. They certainly are not for everyone, however if a shooter can use the Horus-styled system more efficiently for a movement type engagement than a mil-dot system, mission accomplished, which is the end game.

By my count I believe my posts are the only ones so far that have been directed at providing an answer to the poor bastards inquiry!

Last edited:
This is going to seem kind of silly but here goes.

In Field Target air rifle there is a division called HFT/Hunter division. I normally shot open but wanted to try something different for a change. In HFT at the time we were constrained to a max of 12x mag and distances were not given, one had to determine the distances using the focus of the scope or by using the reticle to range with. Well on 12x it's very hard to judge the distance by using the focus past 45Y so I used those .5 to 1 mil lines that are above the horizontal to measure the different sized kill zones with. I found that using those indicators vs the .2's in the reticle were much easier to bracket with. For example, I could more easily see if what I was measuring was at .8 mil vs slightly over like at .83 mil by going back and forth comparing the .8 and .9 brackets.

I did this for a couple months and got high score both times, one of them was a 56/58, which hasn't been topped in our club. It was like cheating so back I went to my normal division. BTW, the guy who won the Nationals in HFT division that year used this method too, though not with a H59.

I use SHOOTER as my app, the ranging feature gives the firing solution and goes directly to the solutions page as soon as you put in the target size in inches and how many mils it measured vs just giving how far away the target is and having to go to the parameters input page to manually input the distance. Saved me some time and hassle, I liked that!

I always liked the H59!