• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

First longer then 100 range rifle at $400 or less

David LeBlanc

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
I use a ak-47 with Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32 mm MP Red Dot Riflescope for shooting targets under 100 yards, deer & hogs in the pine woods of Texas.

I am looking at my local gun store, Academy, & Garder mtn. for a longer then 100 yards range gun.

They have brands from Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Stevens & Weatherby in 30-06.

For a Scope I am looking at Bushnell Elite® 3200 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope with firefly which has a glowing duplex. Which should help in low light condictions. $269.99

Which of these brands do you think are better?

Re: First longer then 100 range rifle at $400 or less

Neither of those.....they're both pretty much shit.You're much better off actually trying some "real" shooters, saving your money, and buying quality even if it's used.

Asking that question in here is handicapped by the fact most here expect alot from their rifle.

I have taken a $250.00 savage and discarded everything but the action. 800 bucks later I had a rifle I could live with.

Everyone has a different opinion but for me the stock of a discount rifle is the biggest handicap. Next a rough trigger.

You might get what you want by purchasing a Savage and a better stock. Plenty of nice stocks out there, I really like wood but synthetic is very popular.

Good Luck

try to find a used SPS varmint or tactical Remington in 308, that will give you a decent barreled action for now and buy a B&C or a HS take off later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a ak-47 with Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32 mm MP Red Dot Riflescope for shooting targets under 100 yards, deer & hogs in the pine woods of Texas.

I am looking at my local Academy for a longer then 100 yards range gun.

They have brands from Mossberg 100 ATR. & Weatherby VG1 in 30-06.

Which of these brands do you think are better? </div></div>

Savage and Howa are good afordable starting points. They have good actions for the money. Less than 400 total is tuff because you don't have any scope options! Maybe around 400 for a rifle and 200 for a scope will get you started.

A Stevens model 200 sounds like a great gun for you to start with. If you look around you can find them for under 300 without much of a problem. It is pretty much a savage in every way. Yes, the stocks suck, along with a few other things. Look around for a used scope (for sale section here) and go from there. Once funds allow, start modifying it the way you want.

Do a search for customized Stevens rifles. There are quite a few guys that have them loaded out for under 1k.

For the money I would go with a savage or try and find a used Remington 700. If you look around you can find a good used Remington 700 for around $350

today my friend brought out his $390 savage edge in 223, rifle and bushnell scope combo. taking into consideration the bushnell scope is near useless in optical clarity, we managed to hit a 16" plate at 750 yards. very suprised by this budget/entry level rifles capability.

Academy sells the Remington 700 for 349.99 all the time. I just bought one the other day to use for my next build.

I see on this web site alot of people having trouble with the remington's 700 series. I orinally had it on the list but after read about the complants i removed it

I am pretty new to the whole shooting scene as well. I have gotten a little further as far as shooting out past a hundred yards to about 300 yards. I have found that the best rifle (as far as value, consistency, and the ability to upgrade) is the Remington 700. They are accurate out of the box, VERY easy to find parts for, and overall reliable. I personally bought a Remington 700 ADL in .308 from Dicks Sporting Goods for around $450 (came with a crappy bushnell scope). Its a great value for the money. However, the best thing to do (from one beginner to the other) is grab a gun and just shoot. I am looking into the Bushnell 3200 Elite series scope as well, just with the mil-dot reticle.

Honestly, look around at local pawn shops and guns shops for a used 700 (in .308 if you plan to hunt a variety of animals in my opinion) and pick it up.
Best of luck to you man. Let us know how you end up

DRD - what part of the coutry are you in? If you are in south half of the US or anywhere near an acadamy sports they are running sales right now on stevens 200s for 200.00. Pick one of those up. Follow my stock upgrade thread and work on your stock for $30.00 or less.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...264#Post2297264

Add an EGW base and burris rings then get one of the Bushnell 3200 tactical 10x40 scopes for 175.00 and you're done. If you hand load it will shoot under 1 MOA on some groups. As you save up you can upgrade in stages but on the stevens upgrade in this order.

Stock, Scope, trigger, barrel. That will get you the most bang for the buck in order and will take care of the weak spots of the rifle in the order of worst to best.

My custom barrel for my stevens is finally going to ship this week and I can't wait to slap it on my rig and see what she can do.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMcGinnis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am pretty new to the whole shooting scene as well. I have gotten a little further as far as shooting out past a hundred yards to about 300 yards. I have found that the best rifle (as far as value, consistency, and the ability to upgrade) is the Remington 700. They are accurate out of the box, VERY easy to find parts for, and overall reliable. I personally bought a Remington 700 ADL in .308 from Dicks Sporting Goods for around $450 (came with a crappy bushnell scope). Its a great value for the money. However, the best thing to do (from one beginner to the other) is grab a gun and just shoot. I am looking into the Bushnell 3200 Elite series scope as well, just with the mil-dot reticle.

Honestly, look around at local pawn shops and guns shops for a used 700 (in .308 if you plan to hunt a variety of animals in my opinion) and pick it up.
Best of luck to you man. Let us know how you end up </div></div>

+1 on all that. I got the same deal and am thrilled with it. Seems to me your main question to decide for yourself is Savage or 700. The 700 is worth the extra few bucks to me, but of course YMMV.

What are you going to be doing with it? Hunting, target ?? How accurate do you need it to be?

Buy once.. cry once and be happy. If you are stuggling financially to get a gunyou really don't want.. how are you going to be able to feed it ammo? There is your real cost.

I would start with a Savage/Stevens or Remington of the ones mentioned. Lots of support and history with both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try to find a used SPS varmint or tactical Remington in 308, that will give you a decent barreled action for now and buy a B&C or a HS take off later. </div></div>