First range trip with my new Savage A22 Precision

Anonymoose

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2020
USA
1st pic is my final 5rd group at 100yds using holdover. I'm using a 75 yd zero. Can't wait to try different ammo. This is Federal Gold Medal HV match 40gr.

I changed the scope from the pictured Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 to a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 because the Burris won't focus under 50 and that's something I want. The Vortex will focus down to 10yds. The Burris is a better scope but not as useful for this rifle. Bummed to lose the side parallax/focus but This inexpensive Vortex does the job.

On a side note, I zeroed at 19yds because according to the ballistics calculator that would match a 75 yard zero. It turned out to be spot on when I confirmed at 75 yards.

Love the rifle so far but I don't like the trigger all that much and will look to upgrade if options become available.

73tncfgov6761.jpg

gtz2oxqov6761.jpg

I was a bit worried about the purchase at first. After researching then buying it I came across a B22 review that spoke about the bolt scratching the casing and projectile when cycling and how that negatively affected the accuracy. That doesn't seem to be the case with the A22. Aside from a few initial FTFs and lightstrikes it ran perfectly and proved to be accurate with great precision. I'm eager to see how it shoots after 300 rounds which I've read is about the sweet spot for break in on this one.

Reactions: texasrimfirenut
Congrats on your new Savage. Sounds like you are enjoying it. I have a B 22 and haven’t encountered the problems you mentioned. In fact I shot a 2375 ARA factory target off of loose bags with a cheap scope. I love the way it shoots every 40 grain well, especially in these days of limited ammo.

Congrats on your new Savage. Sounds like you are enjoying it. I have a B 22 and haven’t encountered the problems you mentioned. In fact I shot a 2375 ARA factory target off of loose bags with a cheap scope. I love the way it shoots every 40 grain well, especially in these days of limited ammo.

Thats good to hear! Perhaps it was something that plagued earlier models and was remedied by Savage?

I'd say she's looking good. After you and her become one, I bet those groups will tighten up some more too.

COngrats.

Thanks and I think you're right. What you see in the photo is a 3 shot group using the same holdover then 2 shots with slightly corrected holdover. I really should have taken more ammo. I would like to see how well I can maintain or improve upon that 0.5 MOA.

The 1st 100 rounds showed increasing precision. The subsequent 45 rounds were spent trying increased rate of fire shooting at 50 and 75 yards which resulted in 0.75-1" blown out holes with a few flyers. These were the last 5 rounds to see how well I could estimate holdover.

Can't wait to shoot more and share my findings.