• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

FN SCAR what's so good about it ?

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
Was given the opportunity to shoot a FN SCAR . It was chambered in 7.62x51 Nato. Well owner was able to dismantle it in seconds. Ok great ! I thought it was bulky and kicked relatively hard for short 16"barreled gun.It wasn't especially light either .It had a MK4 mounted,one shot I was completely off target ? Owner showed me some sub MOA groups it produced firing MATCH ammo. Standard ball ammo was twice that size.So why do our special forces want it ? Cause of its compactness ? Plus he paid over $2500 bucks for it ?

Re: FN SCAR what's so good about it ?

Ok just did a You tube search . Watched Shot Show demonstration.Yes it's awesome the interchangeability of barrel lengths,from sub machine gun to sniper system. Can't do that with our M-4. But $2500 bucks ! I wonder if SEAL team 6 were armed with those ?

I'll be picking up my SCAR 17s this week and I'm pretty stoked about it. I'll be sure to give some sort of review after I get it out to the range... But don't expect it to be as good as Lowlight's or LonewolfUSMC's reviews. I have a couple hundred rounds of cheap .308 and about 60 rounds of hand loads so hopefully I'll be able to judge the difference in accuracy between the two.
Other than my Barrett 50cal this is the most expensive rifle I've ever bought and when you add the optics it was actually the same price because the Barrett came with optics. I sure hope I love it...

I had the chance to shoot one in 5.56 and I have to say I wasn't $1500 more than an M4 impressed. Nice weapon but I couldn't justify the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the chance to shoot one in 5.56 and I have to say I wasn't $1500 more than an M4 impressed. Nice weapon but I couldn't justify the cost. </div></div>
That what the military has said, hence the 17 still being purchased. The 16 didnt bring anything special to the table, the does however. I dont theing the 17 is heavy at all, even scoped no more than a loaded out M4, the recoil was not bad either. The accuracy, was far above every other battle rifle, and better than most other semi autos period.

I really think it looks cool but have shot both the 16 and 17. I personally feel the 16 is two damn heavy for 556 and the 17 is two light for 308. Other than that both shot pretty darn well. Anther down fall is they cost so dang much and parts are a pain in the a## to get!

Feel and reality might not be the same.... My Scar is lighter than my Colt AR according to my scale. But to me my Scar indeed feels lighter. Have you personally tried to get SCAR parts? My buddy had no trouble getting a replacement stock and I had no issue buying a backup bolt......

I cant warm up to SCARS..with a quality Optic and mount they feel top heavy,the stock weld is not in the correct position for me,The hand guard is to short for me,The charge handle just sucks donkey balls and blue thumbs...

I like the way they look and RCPD's SCAR shoots accurate to 565yards so they do work..

I never had an ISSUE with a DI AR15 or 10 that was built right and oiled regular.. AR's are the 1911's of asault weapons,Good or Bad they will be around long after the SCAR has been replaced with the next Hot NEW peace of Kit..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The accuracy, was far above every other battle rifle, and better than most other semi autos period. </div></div>

wink.gif
That right there is just plain funny.

okie

Not really sure what else you have shot but I have sent a few rounds down range and the scar 17 I shot had minimal recoil for a 308. Shot a 556 a bit as well and it is nice but some of the short falls mentioned above I agree with. I did have to order a part from FN and had no problem. On the flip side if they think they need your gun to fix a problem, even something simple, they want you to send it in. A sight for example, they try to tell you to send your entire gun in. That is so stupid, send a gun in to fix a sight. How about I take it off and send it in???? Well, they don't feel the same.

What needs to be considered is that the Mk17/SCAR 17S is the new battle rifle platform. While the proliferation and disbursement of Mk262 and Mk318 ammunition has enhanced the capabilities of the AR platform, it still must be understood that the 5.56mm has limitations. Sometimes you need a heavier round. Such is why the military brought out so many M14/Mk14 rifles from storage and started putting them back into service in Afghanistan and Iraq.

With that said, you have to look at the Mk17 versus the M14 platform. If you think the Mk17 is heavy, go lug around an M14 for a while and then come back and we'll talk. The M14 is a battle-proven platform that is reliable, but it's heavy, bulky and unwieldy, and has inconsistent accuracy. The accuracy is also generally not that great. To get an M1A/M14/Mk14 so shoot 1MOA or sub-MOA, plan to spend at least $5k (and that doesn't include optics). Modifying and tuning M14s is very expensive. M14s are also the opposite of modular. It's not possible to change out a barrel in the field. Good luck stripping the bolt too.
No other battle rifle platform that we've used has proven to be a contender. Now, the Mk17 has shown that it is accurate, light, maneuverable, and cost effective. It's everything they want the M14s to be, but at half the weight and cost.

All of a sudden, $2500 doesn't seem like so much, and the feasibility of the system becomes apparent.

Welllll, National Match M1A's are listed on Springfield's site at $2318 (I've seen them conciderably cheaper locally) and 9.8 lbs. A friend had one on my range last year and moa was common (FGMM) with not one pennies worth of tuneing or modification.

ps. That's not even to mention AR10's.
wink.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok just did a You tube search . Watched Shot Show demonstration.Yes it's awesome the interchangeability of barrel lengths,from sub machine gun to sniper system. Can't do that with our M-4. But $2500 bucks ! I wonder if SEAL team 6 were armed with those ? </div></div>

Believe they used H&K 416s. I could be wrong, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welllll, National Match M1A's are listed on Springfield's site at $2318 (I've seen them conciderably cheaper locally) and 9.8 lbs. A friend had one on my range last year and moa was common (FGMM) with not one pennies worth of tuneing or modification.

ps. That's not even to mention AR10's.
wink.gif

okie</div></div>
NM M1As are built from the ground-up to be precision rifles, and are much different than the unmodified M14s in the system within the military. If you want to compare the NM and Super Match M1A to the SCAR on even ground and make it apples vs apples, compare them to the SCAR SSR Mk20.
A standard SCAR 17/Mk17 is comparable to an M1A SOCOM-16 or SOCOM-II.

AR10s are decent for accuracy, and some are downright tack drives. However, reliability has always been hit and miss.

The people that do the testing for SOCOM likely know what they are doing when they select a weapon. It doesn't mean you have to buy one, but it does mean that there is a legitimacy to the SCAR platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It doesn't mean you have to buy one, but it does mean that there is a legitimacy to the SCAR platform. </div></div>

I never said the SCAR platform wasn't a "legitiment" one...and thanks for letting me know I dont have to buy it (even though I might anyway). I dont have any personal experience with the SOCOM but from what I've been told by those that do is its reliability and accuracy are on the same level as the SCAR. I dont even really want to know where you're getting your info on the modern AR10.

BTW, it was you that said it would take $5k worth of modification to bring the M14 into the SCAR's league. I was simply pointing out that THAT platform was already there for much much less.

okie

Okie I have heard the exact opposite from many trainers that the SA socom16/II etc etc have trouble making it throug a class without going down. If I were going to draw a comparison between an M1A and a SCAR17, I think it would be the M1A from LRB that has a forged reciever and GI internals. This is more representative of a M14 I think. These rifles are within a couple hundred bucks of each other. But to me its a no brainer. Ease of optics mounting etc etc, drop free mags etc etc I would pick the SCAR over an M1A personally. BUT that doesnt mean I wouldnt like to add a LRB M1A to the stable
wink.gif

I used to own a SCAR 16. I LOVED the rifle. For me, the ergonomics were great. I loved having the charging handle on the left side, so I could manipulate the rifle anyway I needed, including reloading, locking the bolt back, etc..., and I never had to remove the firing hand from the grip. With my Leupold CQB, albeit turned up, hitting a torso sized steel plate at 500 yards was not an issue, whatsoever. It was very accurate, at least for me. I was shooting Federal XM193 ammo in it, not Wolf. That being said, I also loved my AR15, and in the end, with finite resources, I was pretty hard pressed to justify having that expensive of a rifle, when I could still do everything I needed with my AR15. Thus, I sold it. But all in all, I thought it was a well-sorted rifle, IMO.

Thanks shane and yeah, the one sore spot for me on the M1A's has always been the mounting of optics. I know there several different ways that seem to be stable and solid but I never really could get comfy with any I looked at and again, didn't get much exp. with them. To me, thats a much much bigger plus for the SCAR over the M1A than the barrel changability but I'm a civi, were I in the sand I might think differently.
The SCAR has peaked my interest since the first day I read about it and I've mostly read a lot of positive feedback on it. Its definately on my short list of possible future purchases but for those prices a poor boy will do a lot more researching and definately a lot more hands on. I wont be selling any AR10's to get the $ though.
wink.gif
Thanks again

ps. Sorry to highjack OP, shutting up now.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to own a SCAR 16. I LOVED the rifle. For me, the ergonomics were great. I loved having the charging handle on the left side, so I could manipulate the rifle anyway I needed, including reloading, locking the bolt back, etc..., and I never had to remove the firing hand from the grip. With my Leupold CQB, albeit turned up, hitting a torso sized steel plate at 500 yards was not an issue, whatsoever. It was very accurate, at least for me. I was shooting Federal XM193 ammo in it, not Wolf. That being said, I also loved my AR15, and in the end, with finite resources, I was pretty hard pressed to justify having that expensive of a rifle, when I could still do everything I needed with my AR15. Thus, I sold it. But all in all, I thought it was a well-sorted rifle, IMO. </div></div>

What he said.
I tested every piston rig I could get my hands on and in the end the SCAR was the best by far but, I did not test the HK. I ran the SCAR for a year. I built a new 3 gun rig with a mid gas barrel 5R 8 twist this last spring. I shoot it so much better and faster than the SCAR there was just no reason to keep the SCAR.

bustin, I think I said this already around here somewhere but my observations were the same as yours(but I kept both
smile.gif
) If I need speed, its my Colt. If I need to run into the Zombie appocolypse without a cleaning kit and spit for lube, its likely the SCAR.

I have been shooting ARs for 15 years or more, the SCAR just doesn't point the same as an AR so it takes some work to get fast with them. Great rifle, I'm just faster with an AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It doesn't mean you have to buy one, but it does mean that there is a legitimacy to the SCAR platform. </div></div>

I never said the SCAR platform wasn't a "legitiment" one...and thanks for letting me know I dont have to buy it (even though I might anyway). I dont have any personal experience with the SOCOM but from what I've been told by those that do is its reliability and accuracy are on the same level as the SCAR. I dont even really want to know where you're getting your info on the modern AR10.

BTW, it was you that said it would take $5k worth of modification to bring the M14 into the SCAR's league. I was simply pointing out that THAT platform was already there for much much less.

okie</div></div>
I see that you you read into the response where I was using the term "you" as a general term for any potential gun buyer and then took it literally as being about you specifically. Good job with that.

The SOCOM-16 and SOCOM-II rifles I've shot and seen shot by other people have all been nice rifles, but have been severely lacking in accuracy. I have seen aronud 2-3MOA at best, with the groups opening up with increased barrel heat.

Also, I never said you had to spend $5k to make the M1A like the SCAR. That is, unless we're talking about the SCAR SSR/Mk20. I said that you need to spend upwards of $5k to get an M1A to shoot 1MOA or less consistently. As a former M1A owner, I know the costs associated with making an M1A consistently shoot accurately. Such is why the AR10 is a much more viable and cost-effective platform. And while we're speaking of AR10/LR308 platforms, I get my info from direct sources, end users, and other fellow armorers. Some .308 AR platforms have done very well. Some have been spotty. Unlike the AR15 platform, there is no complete industry-wide standardization of the .308 AR platform and the specs. But you probably already knew that...

I understand the allure of piston semi-autos for troops who may be away from support for prolonged time and not be able to service their rifles as frequent. The choice of the SCAR makes sense for this reason, but I'm not sure if it is superior to the other piston systems out there. I have to agree that it is overpriced, and that is understandable because the company makes up for their lower margins with government contracts by selling at higher margins to civilians.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What needs to be considered is that the Mk17/SCAR 17S is the new battle rifle platform. While the proliferation and disbursement of Mk262 and Mk318 ammunition has enhanced the capabilities of the AR platform, it still must be understood that the 5.56mm has limitations. Sometimes you need a heavier round. Such is why the military brought out so many M14/Mk14 rifles from storage and started putting them back into service in Afghanistan and Iraq.

With that said, you have to look at the Mk17 versus the M14 platform. If you think the Mk17 is heavy, go lug around an M14 for a while and then come back and we'll talk. The M14 is a battle-proven platform that is reliable, but it's heavy, bulky and unwieldy, and has inconsistent accuracy. The accuracy is also generally not that great. To get an M1A/M14/Mk14 so shoot 1MOA or sub-MOA, plan to spend at least $5k (and that doesn't include optics). Modifying and tuning M14s is very expensive. M14s are also the opposite of modular. It's not possible to change out a barrel in the field. Good luck stripping the bolt too.
No other battle rifle platform that we've used has proven to be a contender. Now, the Mk17 has shown that it is accurate, light, maneuverable, and cost effective. It's everything they want the M14s to be, but at half the weight and cost.

All of a sudden, $2500 doesn't seem like so much, and the feasibility of the system becomes apparent. </div></div>
Spoken like a 91F or kilo.....+1

Man, I was looking at an old post of mine... Just a few months ago.. I said no way due to the cost...

Now, if I can ever sell my 1911, one will be mine
thicon_eek.gif

Please don't flame me ,I'm asking because I don't know .How would the Scar in .308 do against a Larue OBR or a LMT MWS in .308 ? I kept hearing how good the SCAR is and after shooting the SCAR 16S I was not impessed with it . I prefer my Franken AR with the BCM 16 inch middy upper,DD mid tube and the LMT lower on it with the old Trijicon TA31 doughnut . Not that I'm any expert or anything ,but I just can't see all the hype with the SCAR . I just punch paper and Coyotes now a days ,so I would certanly defer to someone useing it in battle .

Well, in all honesty I do not think that comparing a SCAR17 to an OBR or MWS is really a direct comparison. I find the MWS and OBR more to be in the DMR catagory than the battle rifle catagory. Having owned both the 17 and the MWS and having handled and shot the OBR, Id say that the 17 is a much better battle rifle. Its weight or the lack of it is a huge advantage when running and gunning in my humble opinion. The amount of bob and weave was significantly less for me while doing things like engaging targets on the move with the 17 over the MWS. YMMV.

Shane

I shot the SCAR-L 5.56 varient 10.5" barrel. Long and short of it, it had merits but negative characteristics outweighed positive IMO.

Pros:
reliability
recoil control
compartment in stock
Room in lower for debris

Cons:
Clunky
Stock wobbles and wobbles more when extended
selector switch doesn't agree with human ergonomics for manipulating to "auto" setting.
charging handle reciprocates
Housing gets hot enough to burn skin
fouled system doesn't allow the barrel to be removed (sample I tested).
Sights are plastic
gas system settings shift point of impact
The example I fired wouldn't group for crap without the suppressor attached.

It seemed like a system with great potential- very little of it fully developed to perfection.

I also handled the SCAR-H. . . The thing that seemed noteworthy was the thin pencil barrel. The barrel seems to thin to be very competitive in the accuracy dept.