• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Food riots thread…and energy.

China has in fact taken over much of Africa. They give huge out huge "loan" that are un-repayable that go into the hands of their corrupt politicians. Then China basically owns/takes over things put up for collateral that those politicians had no right to put on the table (i.e. ports).

May seem stupid to think about given all the problems we face, but I think lions were one of God's most beautiful creatures created. They are very close to the endangered list, going from 100K in 1900's to under 20K now. And the lion bone trade will decimate the rest.

So China has copied same business model of World Bank and IMF ? .. we have taught them well .

If you want a target for the CIA Congo would be a prime one. Stoke anti china flame until you burn them out of that country.

On a side note.

A Chinese lobbyist’s brother just joined the White House staff. By coincidence some tech exports bans were quietly lifted on china.

That’s odd. 😒

I'm ignorant, anyone know how long it takes for grain to be halted before downstream effects become visible?

I'm ignorant, anyone know how long it takes for grain to be halted before downstream effects become visible?

I’m guessing but a few days maybe?

A better question may be how long will it take to get things back on track.

I’m guessing but a few days maybe?

A better question may be how long will it take to get things back on track.

I know here, a lot of grain, both human consumption and for animal feed is move by Rail into the NW Port facilities for export by marine vessel . For local to me, in Portland NW . I think the biggest mover is Port of Longview, but there is several smaller ones also like PO Portland and PO Vancouver.

Tentative deal reached on rail strike.

A union vote still needs to take place.
Glad that worked out for the Railroad employees. The RRs have been making record profits for sometime and have not increase wages or given bonus out for managers at the lower levels. I do get that they had to spend a shit ton of money to get PTC up and rolling and they are trying to recoup some of that money for their share holders. However, I believe they also need to take care of those that worked hard to get PTC working on the RR.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Wow, Just in time for Mid-Terms

include a 24% wage increase during the five-year period from 2020 through 2024. This retroactive pay hike will include a one-time payout that will average $11,000 per worker upon ratification.

include a 24% wage increase during the five-year period from 2020 through 2024. This retroactive pay hike will include a one-time payout that will average $11,000 per worker upon ratification.

Nice!! I love to see people getting some money!

The cycle continues... Railroad freight rate increases will be approved and then passed on to the consumers who will have to make more money to pay the increased cost of shipping goods they consume....
The squeeze will continue well into 2023...... + + + + + + +

I can confirm that prices are MUCH higher than 25%- easily 100% and short notice flights as much as 500% plus. That being said, at least AA has loosened up allowing unused fares except economy fare purchase from canceled flights to be applied to another flight (which they in the past they often did not allow), and not changing change fees for flights limited to CONUS which in the past they charged up to $200 for.

I can confirm that prices are MUCH higher than 25%- easily 100% and short notice flights as much as 500% plus. That being said, at least AA has loosened up allowing unused fares except economy fare purchase from canceled flights to be applied to another flight (which they in the past they often did not allow), and not changing change fees for flights limited to CONUS which in the past they charged up to $200 for.
I agree.... Until we have "deflation" the American people are going to be squeezed like a turnip.

Lots of people are going to die. Lots of people who plainly see this coming will die too because you can do everything correct and still catch an unlucky break. Stack the odds in your favor, have your mind right and do what has to be done.

49BD238D-9597-4C3D-82BE-20011B9A4966.jpeg

So… Berkshire Hathaway stock is gonna take another huge hit! Well, good for the RR folks. They work hard for it.

I seriously doubt they will become Potato voters over this, though. No matter how many votes the Union Leadership promises.

How much did Union leadership get out of this? Just curious how that works…

Sirhr

So… Berkshire Hathaway stock is gonna take another huge hit! Well, good for the RR folks. They work hard for it.

I seriously doubt they will become Potato voters over this, though. No matter how many votes the Union Leadership promises.

How much did Union leadership get out of this? Just curious how that works…

Sirhr
The railroads will raise rates again and keep their profits. No shareholders have been harmed in the making of this protest. The economic forces at play may do more to the rail companies than this blip on the screen.

Organic Sour dough bread isn't cheap to make for a small booth at a Farmers Market. What goes into a loaf of organic sour dough. First the starter, which needs to be grown and maintained every day. The organic flour needs to be purchased and is more expensive than normally flour. Takes 3 hours of flipping and beating it ever half hour before it even hits the oven. At $12 a loaf it's a good bargain. However, most people will not buy it because it's so expensive.

They don't consider the labor that goods into the actual loaf. As you can guess we are not talking about mass produced bread, but hand crafted artisanal bread were only 6 loafs are being baked at a time for an hour. To bake 12 loafs, a person would have invested over 5 hours. Not to mention you need to get up at 3:00AM to have it ready in the morning for you customers. Not to mention the rent that you have to pay for an industrial kitchen and the license for the kitchen. The cost for the county license to sell your baked goods and the weekly fee for the farmers market. Also, the gas to get to the farmers market. You only end up making less than $2 a loaf when everything is done.

This is what people will be looking at as the only ones that will have wheat in the future will be small organic farmers and that shit will cost you after it's milled. It hasn't even been made into bread at that point and most people today don't know how to bake bread or anything else. Shit most don't even want to see a fish serve with its head on or a chicken for that matter. Most don't know how they get their food it's just at the market. They are fucked if there is an economic collapse.

Last edited:
I read an article a while back. It mentioned how some corporations were upset that Amercians only paid 5-6% of their wages to food ate at home; when most other countries paid closer to 30%. USA corporations didn't like that and wanted to increase Amercian's rate to the 30% mark.

Americans spend just 6.4% of their household income on food. That’s according to the latest figures compiled by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). Map of Worlds % of income on food

In 2021, U.S. consumers spent an average of 10.3 percent (home and eating out) of their disposable personal income on food—divided between food at home (5.2 percent) and food away from home (5.1 percent). The share of disposable personal income spent on total food has trended downward since 1961—driven by a decline in share of income spent on food at home. link

Europe is 12 - 15%

So, Corporations see this as money being left on table. Corps want to increase that by 10%. - 20%
Enjoy and eat up, thank the American farmer.

So money spent on food is considered disposable personal income?

What's the percentage of dollars spent for food by retired persons on a fixed income?
It's going to be way more than 10%.
I agree, I believe it's more than 10%. Who knows, maybe the people only ate beans and rice for the numbers ;)
Personally, I spend a HELL OF LOT MORE that 20% on my food bill. just saying. I believe inflation is a HELL of a lot higher than 8.6. more like 25%; because I'm a firm believer in watching fast food prices to judge where inflation is. That's my CPI :)

The CPI basket of goods; that the government manipulates to give their cost of inflation. I'm not a firm believer in their CPI. Remember if the CPI gets too high, then people want a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) and the Gov hates having to give COLA raises; because then the process starts all over again.

I agree, I believe it's more than 10%. Who knows, maybe the people only ate beans and rice for the numbers ;)
Personally, I spend a HELL OF LOT MORE that 20% on my food bill. just saying. I believe inflation is a HELL of a lot higher than 8.6. more like 25%; because I'm a firm believer in watching fast food prices to judge where inflation is. That's my CPI :)

The CPI basket of goods; that the government manipulates to give their cost of inflation. I'm not a firm believer in their CPI. Remember if the CPI gets too high, then people want a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) and the Gov hates having to give COLA raises; because then the process starts all over again.
The Government hates people like you (and me)............ We have their scam figured out.
The sooner the house of cards collapses the better off the middle class will be. They want to stretch out the collapse until people go broke.
If the USD was devalued (deflation) today by 25% people would not be living paycheck to paycheck. Paying higher wages only makes inflation worse....
The doubled edge sword....Thought Police.jpg

The Government hates people like you (and me)............ We have their scam figured out.
The sooner the house of cards collapses the better off the middle class will be. They want to stretch out the collapse until people go broke.
If the USD was devalued (deflation) today by 25% people would not be living paycheck to paycheck. Paying higher wages only makes inflation worse....
The doubled edge sword....View attachment 7957478
That is not how deflation works. This is:

D71A5628-74C4-4728-A5C7-7F87CCA663CE.jpeg

278AEAC5-A412-4E6D-AC79-D421ECFCAA42.jpeg

Last edited:

Except for sales, the items I normally buy are even more than 25%. Example, organic oatmeal, prior old price 3.29, frequent sales @ 3.00 or 2.79, now 5.29. And the stickers on the shelves aren't keeping up with the actual prices too, which is annoying.

Reactions: lariat
On a brighter note...... Sam's club's 7.5 dozen dropped from 26 to 19.99. Sam was trying to screw everyone. I went to costco and picked them up for 21. Sam's must of realized this when people quit buying them.
so, either someone in pricing got too greedy or the cost came down:rolleyes:

Deflation is a general decline in prices for goods and services, typically associated with a contraction in the supply of money and credit in the economy. During deflation, the purchasing power of currency rises over time.

How else can America get the purchasing power of currency to rise ?
See, that's the funny thing about fiat currency that isnt tied to anything that is valuable - you can't. You have to make more if you want to increase your spending power. Not only more, but more plus whatever the real inflation rate is to keep your original spending power the same. This is by design. IF YOU WANT TO INCREASE YOUR PURCHSAING POWER YOU HAVE TO BE COMPENSATED MORE BY WORKING HARDER OR FINDING A JOB THAT HAS A HIGHER MARKET VALUE.

Deflation may give a very temporary increase in purchasing power, but with an economy as debt laden as we currently have the defaults and bank runs/holidays will remove any savings from the economy in short order as there isn't enough money in this fractional reserve system to satisfy all of the debt and promissory notes that have been created. Deflation is a true shit show. Once this occurs, output decreases, people become unemployed, foreclosures for businesses, farms and homes occur and people wind up homeless. Output decreases because people have no money. Will the dollar go farther? Yup, but no one has any to speak of.

All those paper assets - 401K, stocks, retirement funds during deflation? Worthless. It is surprising how little deflation it would take for this to occur: right now we have approx 20% in real inflation; during the Great Depression deflation ran at 7% annually and that was a killer. Hopefully the 2% inflation number the Fed keeps trying to get to makes sense - its kind of the Goldilocks area between too much inflation and "oh shit", AKA deflation.

See, that's the funny thing about fiat currency that isnt tied to anything that is valuable - you can't. You have to make more if you want to increase your spending power. Not only more, but more plus whatever the real inflation rate is to keep your original spending power the same. This is by design. IF YOU WANT TO INCREASE YOUR PURCHSAING POWER YOU HAVE TO BE COMPENSATED MORE BY WORKING HARDER OR FINDING A JOB THAT HAS A HIGHER MARKET VALUE.

Deflation may give a very temporary increase in purchasing power, but with an economy as debt laden as we currently have the defaults and bank runs/holidays will remove any savings from the economy in short order as there isn't enough money in this fractional reserve system to satisfy all of the debt and promissory notes that have been created. Deflation is a true shit show. Once this occurs, output decreases, people become unemployed, foreclosures for businesses, farms and homes occur and people wind up homeless. Output decreases because people have no money. Will the dollar go farther? Yup, but no one has any to speak of.

All those paper assets - 401K, stocks, retirement funds during deflation? Worthless. It is surprising how little deflation it would take for this to occur: right now we have approx 20% in real inflation; during the Great Depression deflation ran at 7% annually and that was a killer. Hopefully the 2% inflation number the Fed keeps trying to get to makes sense - its kind of the Goldilocks area between too much inflation and "oh shit", AKA deflation.
You failed to mention us old folks on a fixed income that is not going up.
The only way we can increase the purchasing power of a meager fixed income is deflation.
The picture you painted will qualify millions of old Americans to be below the poverty level.
Medicare deductible is going up steadily, every year. Even those that have their home paid for are facing increasing property taxes and home owners insurance that are increasing.
Those 50 years old and working are facing a bleak retirement if inflation continues.

1663368242174.png

Reactions: Emerson0311
You failed to mention us old folks on a fixed income that is not going up.
The only way we can increase the purchasing power of a meager fixed income is deflation.
The picture you painted will qualify millions of old Americans to be below the poverty level.
Medicare deductible is going up steadily, every year. Even those that have their home paid for are facing increasing property taxes and home owners insurance that are increasing.
Those 50 years old and working are facing a bleak retirement if inflation continues.

View attachment 7957606
Correct. If you are on a fixed income the best strategy at the moment is to figure out how to stretch the dollars. Other than that, go enjoy life. Even if tomorrow sucks nothing can take today's happiness from you. And that is worth a shit ton of money.

Paywall, can't see past first paragraph.

Paywall, can't see past first paragraph.

That was being reported Friday... Really there was no other option. Shutting a refinery would have been one more disaster. I'm sure there is a lot more going on in that deal than we will know about.

Reactions: babyguppy and KZP
Correct. If you are on a fixed income the best strategy at the moment is to figure out how to stretch the dollars. Other than that, go enjoy life. Even if tomorrow sucks nothing can take today's happiness from you. And that is worth a shit ton of money.
Courtesy of Survival Blog

Reactions: babyguppy