• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ford diesel truck goes 182 mph.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Hajic-Motorsport-Ford-F-250-1_233058.jpg

182 mph — that’s how fast Hajek Motorsports and Ford Engineers got their 2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty to go. On its way to 182 mph, the 6.7-liter turbodiesel V-8-equipped F-250 set not one, not two, but three production truck land speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The three speed records that this lightly-modified F-250 broke were in the B Production Diesel Truck class, at the Bonneville Salt Flats. The truck broke the biodiesel record, using soy-based fuel by hitting 130.614 mph. The F-250’s second fastest record of the day was using regular diesel fuel, where it managed to hit 171.123 mph. The third and final record of the day was using B20 biodiesel, where the F-250 topped out at 182 mph. For comparison’s sake, the old record was set by a Duramax-equipped GMC Sierra HD, which only managed 166.850 mph.

The most remarkable thing about the F-250’s speed is that it the truck remains mostly stock. Ford says that its engineers and Oklahoma-based Hajek Motorsports only installed a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new turbos, and modified the compression ratio. Aside from the performance modifications, the F-250 was also fitted with a roll cage, five-point harness, a drag chute, aerodynamic fairings for the front bumper, and the obligatory salt flat moon-dish wheels. The F-250’s drivetrain and transmission were stock.

Re: Ford diesel truck goes 182 mph.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">The most remarkable thing about the F-250’s speed is that it the truck remains mostly stock. Ford says that its engineers and Oklahoma-based Hajek Motorsports only installed a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new turbos, and modified the compression ratio.</span> Aside from the performance modifications, the F-250 was also fitted with a roll cage, five-point harness, a drag chute, aerodynamic fairings for the front bumper, and the obligatory salt flat moon-dish wheels. The F-250’s drivetrain and transmission were stock. </div></div>

Fuel pump, fuel injectors, turbos and compression ratio changes are not what I would consider minor mods to a diesel...

I did most of the same things to a diesel I had (except I didn't change the compression ratio) and it put 872hp to the rear wheels on a dynojet. I did have a built transmission (which still wouldn't hold btw), but the rest of the drivetrain was stock and held up fine. Point being all a diesel needs to make big power is more fuel (fuel pump and injectors) and more air (turbos).

No doubt setting the new record is an accomplishment, but to play it up like it wasn't a purpose built rig is a stretch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No doubt setting the new record is an accomplishment, but to play it up like it wasn't a purpose built rig is a stretch. </div></div>

Not really, the OEM duel-stage turbo in the 6.7 is a turd and would be an obvious but very easy and common thing to swap out. The only thing that I would say is uncommon would be changing the comp ratio which was probably done by by either swapping pistons or decking the heads/different head gasket but still not that beg of a deal.

Brent Hajek is one of the coolest guys I know and I'm happy he's getting some big press on this. If any of you guys ever get a chance to go through Ames, OK he has a huge collection of vintage nascars in his musuem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">The most remarkable thing about the F-250’s speed is that it the truck remains mostly stock. Ford says that its engineers and Oklahoma-based Hajek Motorsports only installed a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new turbos, and modified the compression ratio.</span> Aside from the performance modifications, the F-250 was also fitted with a roll cage, five-point harness, a drag chute, aerodynamic fairings for the front bumper, and the obligatory salt flat moon-dish wheels. The F-250’s drivetrain and transmission were stock. </div></div>

Fuel pump, fuel injectors, turbos and compression ratio changes are not what I would consider minor mods to a diesel...

I did most of the same things to a diesel I had (except I didn't change the compression ratio) and it put 872hp to the rear wheels on a dynojet. I did have a built transmission (which still wouldn't hold btw), but the rest of the drivetrain was stock and held up fine. Point being all a diesel needs to make big power is more fuel (fuel pump and injectors) and more air (turbos).

No doubt setting the new record is an accomplishment, but to play it up like it wasn't a purpose built rig is a stretch.</div></div>
    +1
    Great accomplishment but as said. Not stock. I am sure the whole compression ratio change was not as much compression change as it was to put in better pistons to handle the extra horsepower. I know most of the damage from overpower on the Duramax is to pistons and then to main and rods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No doubt setting the new record is an accomplishment, but to play it up like it wasn't a purpose built rig is a stretch.</div></div>
    +1
    Great accomplishment but as said. Not stock. I am sure the whole compression ratio change was not as much compression change as it was to put in better pistons to handle the extra horsepower. I know most of the damage from overpower on the Duramax is to pistons and then to main and rods. </div></div>

+1 Thats quite a list of mods

pffft, they had the potential to get that truck into the 200mph club and didn't do it. Yeah, I get it, 182 is fast, in fact it's 49 miles an hour faster than I was clocked(NYSP, no ticket, but a fair 'talking to' at the scene) when responding to a 'buddy down' call on my Sporty.
    I'm just sayin, they had the chance to get themselves, and that truck into a really cool group. The 200mph club is the entry level club of the salt, you know, the Holy Grail of Speed, and they could have been there

what gets me is they state the truck is "close to stock" with injectors fuel pump and compression ratio changes...how does that even get close to stock???

What a shame that they don't have that as a "stock" package.

But then again, I have a 7.3 liter F250.

It's weird how Ford kept bringing the size of the engine down, only to gradually build it up and flaunt it even more.

Time will tell if they finally get to, a complete and total 360 degrees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    It's weird how Ford kept bringing the size of the engine down, only to gradually build it up and flaunt it even more.

</div></div>

The 7.3, dispute being their biggest engine was the weakest

7.3 - 250HP 505TQ
    6.0 - 325HP 570TQ
    6.4 - 350HP 650TQ
    6.7 - 400HP 800TQ (independent dyno results are considerably lower in the 6.4 range though)

Better designs allow allow for more power out of smaller and more efficient engines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

7.3 - 250HP 505TQ
    6.0 - 325HP 570TQ
    6.4 - 350HP 650TQ
    6.7 - 400HP 800TQ (independent dyno results are considerably lower in the 6.4 range though)

Better designs allow allow for more power out of smaller and more efficient engines. </div></div>

There's no substitute for cubic displacement. The smaller engines are ran harder to meet emissions.

On a diesel I'd consider changed turbo, chip/computer, and fuel injectors to be near stock. Once you start milling, changing compression, or adding something like propane then thats a race truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

7.3 - 250HP 505TQ
    6.0 - 325HP 570TQ
    6.4 - 350HP 650TQ

Better designs allow allow for more power out of smaller and more efficient engines. </div></div>

There's no substitute for cubic displacement. The smaller engines are ran harder to meet emissions. </div></div>

2czagyb.jpg

The reason they went from the 7.3 to the 6.0 was because they couldn't make the 7.3 meet the new emissions standards.

Also there are countless replacements for displacement; Turbos/ higher comp/super chargers/higher HP:weight ratios/etc... There was no replacement for displacement back when people like Smokey Yunick were first experimenting with air flow patterns and turbos but now days and for the last 30 years...

HB.

I'm not talking about HP or TQ.

I'm saying displacement size in general. The trend of it going down to only come back up.

My reference to having a F250 should have been explained by myself more specifically. In regards to Ford, I'm a loyal customer. I have been for awhile, but this displacement trend is looking, to me, to be a little nucking futs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HB.

I'm not talking about HP or TQ.

I'm saying displacement size in general. The trend of it going down to only come back up.

My reference to having a F250 should have been explained by myself more specifically. In regards to Ford, I'm a loyal customer. I have been for awhile, but this displacement trend is looking, to me, to be a little nucking futs.

</div></div>

Arma, I was referring to inode's post not yours. But you're right it is funny how they bounce around with displacement numbers. I have an F350 but I'm not loyal by any means, they wouldn't be loyal to me so..

You guys hear that the new BMW M5 is going to be a triple turbo inline 6cyl diesel w/AWD?!

I'm opening a savings account just to pick a used one up in 3-4 years. This has been my dream car for decades.