• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

KBWFqDuiWwDMiDqp0b5Ug56GHGC8LMMyOom9JRTtgN8.jpg

Lol, nope. I’ve climbed a fair bit in the past. Mostly indoors but some out in the real shit so I’m comfortable with the ropes and gear and being in the air. But there’s a small group of climbers that give me the heebly jeeblies just thinking about

What's the pricing on these bad boys. And how long do the blades last?

Doc
Vintage Razors? Yikes from like $20 to a several hundred depending on what specific one. A serviceable early open comb Gillette can usually be found on Etsy or eBay for under $30 or a nicer one for under $50.

Early open combs can be divided into “old type” and “new”. News are better shavers and can be had in long comb and short comb. Not a huge difference between them performance wise. Find a nice one with straight teeth and minimal pitting and rock on. Old Types have pins from the top cap through the bottom plate. News have no pins.

Both can have cracked handles if they are the ball end type.

I had one restored and it was a gorgeous razor but a very nice original will always be preferable.

Blades are fairly simple but people will get defensive over their favorite 🤩

I prefer smooth over sharp. People will recommend Feather blades, don’t buy them in bulk until you try a few. They are incredibly sharp but are harsh. Astra SP or Shark Platinum are my favorites after trying many many blades. I got a deal on Shark Platinums, bought 2000 for around $100 so I should never run out LOL. I’ve gifted some to folks here and elsewhere when they try/buy a DE for the first time.

Vintage razors are a rabbit hole like many hobbies. They foster a feeling of nostalgia and a connection to a time when men were….better. Shaving with a ‘55 Red Tip or a Pre-War Tech is a very enjoyable experience.

There are some very good modern DEs with better machining and performance, if you want to explore them LMK. Several excellent razors can be bought for $40-75.

A good deal on a New

A good deal on an Old Type

Reactions: FWoo45 and MJF
@Doc68 I have bought from this fellow and he is honest. His prices are a few bucks more than what you can find by searching but he cleans them up well and you won’t get any ugly surprises.

Reactions: FWoo45
You youngsters spend your money on replacing tiny blades. Me - I'll save mine for gun related stuff.

Back in the late 60s I found my dad's hidden stack of Playboy magazines. While I did indeed look at the pictures, I recall reading something in the Playboy Advisor column about razor blade life. As I recall, the report was that, due to modern manufacturing techniques, if well cared for any modern cartridge style blade(s) would outlive the user. If anybody has back issues (probably between 1965 and 1972 if I recall correctly) that they would be willing to let me look through I'd be more than happy to search for the item. I don't seem to recall any of the leading shaving supplies companies being advertisers so Playboy wasn't risking big advertising dollars - at the time.

Anyway - for the past few decades (dare I say last two score) I have used the same cartridge for up to a year's worth of shaves. Most of those earlier years involved shaving at least six days a week but laziness - and working remotely - broke me down to about three or four shaves a week. I replace my cartridge every year around Christmas - mostly because at one per year I've got enough on hand to last beyond my expected lifetime.

I use a double-blade cartridge and the key (for me) is keeping the space between the two blades clean. If that space fills up with gunk - clippings and shave cream - it can misalign the blades. A quick swipe with a toothbrush is generally enough to clear any jams. I do NOT advise using the wife's toothbrush, at least not in her line of sight! The only thing I've noted is the little teflon strip or whatever it is that helps "glide" the cartridge across my face seems to be wearing away - now six months into this current cartridge. Though it doesn't seem to impact efficiency.

For some reason, I keep getting spammed with ads for this realtor dude who is like hundreds of miles away.... and actually chose this picture for his Ad/Card.

And since he deems it necessary to spam me... I deem it necessary to make memes with his picture!

rape closet.jpg

Sirhr

PS if anyone wants the blank image... I am glad to send it. It's very meme-worthy!

• Haha
Reactions: WaywardSon