• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

GAP Gladius?

hmhoshino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2011
CA
I would like to set up a .308 caliber tactical rifle. I do like the shorter barrel of the Gladius and it set up the way that I want. Is there something better like the McMillan Tac-308 that is worth the extra cost. I have read some older posts that a few people had to send their rifles back, but in 2011 there were no problems. Henry

Re: GAP Gladius?

Better is a completely subjective term.

What you are asking is akin to what is better, a Mercedes or a BMW, a Chevy or Ford.

The only qualifier really should be, does the builder use consistently good parts and are they well versed in their craft to consistently deliver a quality rifle ?

Whether or not you spend more money is never a function of better or worse, you can spend more money with Custom Builder A and get a better rifle with Custom Builder B at a fraction of the cost. The question is one of quality components assembled in a consistent manner from a competent builder. What they charge doesn't matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to set up a .308 caliber tactical rifle. I do like the shorter barrel of the Gladius and it set up the way that I want. Is there something better like the McMillan Tac-308 that is worth the extra cost. I have read some older posts that a few people had to send their rifles back, but in 2011 there were no problems. Henry</div></div>

Im not sure what your talking about, There have never been any issues in 2010 or ever with the Gladious???? what are you talking about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to set up a .308 caliber tactical rifle. I do like the shorter barrel of the Gladius and it set up the way that I want. Is there something better like the McMillan Tac-308 that is worth the extra cost. I have read some older posts that a few people had to send their rifles back, but in 2011 there were no problems. Henry</div></div>

Where are these "older posts" where people had to send their Gladius rifles back?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to set up a .308 caliber tactical rifle. I do like the shorter barrel of the Gladius and it set up the way that I want. Is there something better like the McMillan Tac-308 that is worth the extra cost. I have read some older posts that a few people had to send their rifles back, but in 2011 there were no problems. Henry</div></div>

Im not sure what your talking about, There have never been any issues in 2010 or ever with the Gladious???? what are you talking about? </div></div>

oh you know.....when they were all jacked cause....well you know....those problems like......well i heard it so.....you know....my great grandma deederding heard it from her dead brother's pawpaw who got it direct from the sheriff in Garden City

The old posts that I was speaking about were from 2007 - 2009 about people having to send it back for re-calibration. Just look up GAP rifles. But I couldn't even find anything more current. Maybe that just didn't order it right.

I already have a Harris Ultra Light Bipod which I think will work on the Gladius. I plan on getting a Leopold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 with zero stop. That is want except for maybe a Pelican Case.

Henry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re-calibration? </div></div>

I'm sure Henry means, somebody sent a Gladius in to be re-barreled to another caliber; hence, re-calibration......
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the flux capacitor not putting out 1.21 gigawatts?</div></div>What Flux? Everyone knows that it's all ball-bearings these days.
laugh.gif

...re-caliber-ization. I get it! LOL! That's a good one, Bob.

The original post is ambiguity at its finest. I can't tell which rifle he is referring to as having the problems. Maybe he will get on her soon with another post and clarify what it is that he actually wants to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the flux capacitor not putting out 1.21 gigawatts?</div></div>What Flux? Everyone knows that it's all ball-bearings these days.
laugh.gif

</div></div> am I old that I remember that quote from the Chevy Chase movie "Fletch" Oh by the way, buy the Gladius and be done with it already. It will far exceed any expectations you have for a rifle.

Hey, none of my GAP rifles have been recalibrated, is this warranty work? Hey Gorge how can I tell if I am out of calibration? I think all of mine are out, because I pull the trigger when the target swings under the cross hair every time but seldom get hits. Thought it was spin drift and come to find out I didn’t get recalibrated. Who da thunk it?

John; Sorry that was a poor choice of words, I could remember what they had to have re done. It seemed to be a user problem not on your end. I have complete faith in Gap Precision Rifles. Henry

As for the Leopold Mark 4 having a zero stop, I don't know. That was the model that that retailed for about $1260.00 Leopold Mark 4 4.5 - 14x50. Henry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The old posts that I was speaking about were from 2007 - 2009 about people having to send it back for re-calibration. Just look up GAP rifles. But I couldn't even find anything more current. Maybe that just didn't order it right.

I already have a Harris Ultra Light Bipod which I think will work on the Gladius. I plan on getting a Leopold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 with zero stop. That is want except for maybe a Pelican Case.

Henry </div></div>

Wow, that's all I can say.

Sounds like some of that propaganda that was being put out by a competitor about GAP Rifles.

The time frame is definitely right, it was about that time a competitor / persons with a dislike was putting out some highly questionable information regarding GAP in order to stop the Juggernaut.

My guess the concerns weren't started or found on this site but another one, possible two.

I may sound like a dick here, but is English your first language? Your posts are painful to read.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_mDTLphIVY&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_mDTLphIVY&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I am so confused, what is happening here? It looks interesting, but it's like...not. But it is... ???

Si? Ustedes entienden?

No?

On par:

Get the Gladius if you like it as is... OR Get a Rock and have more options. I went the Rock route.

Give me a break please! I thought I already owned up my mistake. Oh! well, If you have to keep rubbing it in, I will just have to take it, and laugh it off.

Do you get a tax break when buying it direct from GAP? I am in CA and the taxes are close 10% and Jerry Brown talking about raising it even higher and putting gun restriction in to law. Liberals at work.

Henry

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-style: italic">Do you get a tax break when buying it direct from GAP?</span></span> I am in CA and the taxes are close and Jerry Brown talking about raising it even higher and putting gun restriction in to law. Liberals at work.

Henry
If your job requires you to shoot people with it, you may be able to swing it.

I know what he's talking about. I bought 3 GAP rifles and my wife tried to re-calibrate me with one of them!!lol

Henry-GAP is one of the premier firearms made. When you say something like that without a link or facts..it creates what we call a SHIT STORM. George and the guys at GAP look after their products to assure customer satisfaction but I will say one thing I have learned from this post...if I can't get a hold of George for some reason...I'm coming on here and complaining about one of my rifles so he will immediately respond!!lol

Just kidding George:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-style: italic">Do you get a tax break when buying it direct from GAP?</span></span> I am in CA and the taxes are close and Jerry Brown talking about raising it even higher and putting gun restriction in to law. Liberals at work.

Henry
If your job requires you to shoot people with it, you may be able to swing it. </div></div>

Every rifle you buy from a out of state Rifle builder do you show on your taxes?
Henry If you By a GAP rifle you will not be charged sales tax, but you are supposed to report the purchase on your taxes.

Is re- calibration like an oil change for your rifle?

How many rounds before I need to send it in to get this done?

They didn't send my any information about this when I bought my GAP rifles. George needs to work on a maintenance and owners manual for his rifles, I don't want to void the warranty cause I went over the round count or went above suggested muzzle velocities for my particular rifle and caliber.

This is becoming much more complex than what I had anticipated, I think I am going to have an anxiety attack!!!

George please contact me so I can figure out what is going on!!! Cause I know you don't have anything else to do!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-style: italic">Do you get a tax break when buying it direct from GAP?</span></span> I am in CA and the taxes are close and Jerry Brown talking about raising it even higher and putting gun restriction in to law. Liberals at work.

Henry
If your job requires you to shoot people with it, you may be able to swing it. </div></div>

Every rifle you buy from a out of state Rifle builder do you show on your taxes?
Henry If you By a GAP rifle you will not be charged sales tax, but you are supposed to report the purchase on your taxes. </div></div>

My understanding is that in CA, you will be charged state sales tax (~10%) on the purchase price when you go to pick it up from the FFL/dealer after the 10 day waiting period. There may be ways to get around this, but for most that have to go through a dealer for the FFL transfer, the CA sales tax is charged when you pick it up. I'm moving to CA next week and the CA DOJ as well as several dealers in the area have all told me this and they seemed pretty adamant about it. I was even told this would include CA sales tax on a build I paid in full 6 months ago, but that won't actually be delivered (finished) until after I get to CA. It's one of the reasons I decided to purchase my GAP Crusader two months ago before moving. In other places I have lived, if a weapon was purchased (and paid for) direct from the manufacturer, the FFL/dealer did not ask what it cost and only charged the FFL fee when it was picked up.

Unfortunately, now that I know how good the GAP really is, unless I can find some kind of 12-step program for GAP addiction, I'm thinking another one may be necessary to prevent withdrawal. It's like the Lays potato chip thing. My advice to Henry M is to get a GAP. You won't be disappointed. But if you're like me, be aware that then you'll want another one, and another, and another...LOL.

Hi Gstaylorg;
I will just have to purchase at my local dealer, and my local dealer is a good one that does great work.

My two choices are now are the Crusader and the Thunder Ranch rifle and the both have the Templar Action. The Crusader has upgrade option that is the McMillan saddle cheek piece, but I am not sure if you can get it with the Thunder Ranch Rifle. I want to get a muzzle brake, although a suppressor would be nice but they are not legal in CA.

What made you choose the Crusader over other Gap rifles?

Thanks Henry

If you spend much time here at SH, you start to figure out pretty quickly just how good anything from GAP really is. First time I saw the Crusader, I honestly thought the camo pattern was the ugliest f-ing thing I'd ever seen (all my other rifles are black). But you know, it really started to grow on me after a while to the point that now, I think it's just a beautiful work of art. Funny how that can happen. Anyhow, it was really a combination of things. For my purposes, the Crusader had the right combination of barrel length, twist rate, and precision that I wanted. I also thought about the Rock and base custom, but in the end the Crusader had everything I wanted. On top of that, they're pretty much ready to ship at all times. So it was really a no-brainer for me, and I haven't been disappointed.

Having put it through its paces, the only thing I would add would be an adjustable cheekpiece, as you mentioned. I put a Blackhawk buttstock cover on the Crusader, with a couple layers of mouse pad under it, so it's GTG. With other stock types, maybe not so much of an issue, I can't really say. But for me, the A5 needs a little height in the cheekrest area to get a decent sight picture with the scope/mounts I have. At some point, I may send it back to GAP for the upgrade, but for now the mouse pads are doing fine. Something to think about at any rate.

I will probably order another GAP in the next 6 months or so. Not sure what yet, but it will likely be more specifically customized, possibly a .260 or .284. I'll need to think about it a lot more carefully. In the meantime, the Crusader is all I had hoped and more. If you decide on a GAP, just be sure the one you get has features best suited to the type of shooting you want to do with it. There are lots of choices and variables, as I'm sure you know. As long as you get something suited to your needs, you will NOT be sorry I can assure you. Good luck with it!

You wont go wrong with a GAP rifle. Everyone on here loves them. I choose a different builder becasue of the timeline. But soon I will own a GAP rifle.

I have finally made my decision, and I am going to get a Crusader with a few upgrades that I mentioned. I am going to get the McMillan Saddle cheek piece, but I not really which muzzle brake to get. I don't know what the Badger FTE muzzle does better than the Gap Muzzle brake. Does GAP have a good hard case that you can purchase? I sure would protect it during shipping.

I can't wait to get it ordered.
Henry