• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up G'day from downunder

Re: G'day from downunder

Another Aussie
welcome to the Hide.
grin.gif

Cheers Lachlan

G'day to all. I'm in Aus until the 14 of september. I'm in NSW, in the Sydney area. I just checked out the Horsley park gun shop and the shooting center that was originally built for the olympics. I'm running out of places to go and things to see. Please shoot me a pm with any ideas or if you would like to meet up.

Thanks

Im from Melbourne myself so couldnt really suggest things in NSW, and If i do you have probably already seen them.

Will you be doing any travelling around australia or you just sticking to NSW?

Pity you're not here a little longer ace, I could have taken you hunting deer, goats and pigs on my property in southern Queensland, near a town called Texas.

Unfortunately my next trip there isn't till mid October (I'm 60 miles south of Sydney)

I'd be keen to fly up some time also (Vic), im busy for the next couple months but it'd definitely be great to have a tac style field shoot with you guys

Thanks for the interest guys. I'm knocking up some reactive targets at the moment. I'll try them out and see how they go. The range calender is pretty busy untill close to Christmas so hopefully then I'll put the word out for a shoot. At Wondai we've got a 900yrd range to make things interesting.

Hi there guys, Im from BNE and will be moving to Melbourne in January 2011.

Where is a good place to shoot out to 1000yds/meters please? Is little Creek the only place?

Nice to see a bunch of Aussies here.

Dbate.
Well looks like theres a few boys in QLD so perhaps a state-by-state meet if we can get enough people?

And M700, the SSAA Little River range would be best. Since it'd be the easiest to join. Its $70 a year to join plus about $5-10 per range visit. And its all disciplines, or just having a shoot.

Little River is a 500 meter range, they run pistol / shotgun also on other adjacent ranges. That's my 'local' range but we don't shoot there much... Full of time wasters!

A post from everyone keen on a tac meet shoot, lads? We need to sum up some numbers.

I've got me + probably 2 or 3 others with a couple interstate that would come.

yep im in for one.
and is it only 500? I swear it looked alot longer than 500.

If people are interested theres the Mildura range. If we were going for a weekend the range is barely used outside of comps and if we talked to range management we could easily book it ahead of time.
its got targets every 100m out to 600m and its a pretty good range to use. full facilities if we wanted to use them

the only issue is the distance. Mildura is a long way away from Melbourne but as i said, the Range is very sparsely used and its got a very good setup out there.

Another melbourne guy here, eastern suburbs.Lots of great info on here and some awsome looking gear that we can no longer have.Im amazed at the prices of things here compared to Australia.
regards Tony.

SD669

Can we get any details on your club? Im already having to drive down to Little River, which from Frankston is just as difficult as making it to Geelong and having a bigger range with possibly less people there than Little River would be excellent!

Details please mate
smile.gif

~~~~~

Guy.
Wheres the Vic Police range? I never knew they even had a rifle range let alone a 900m range, doubt they'd let civvies use it if they did but it's worth a phone call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a member of the Geelong Rifle Club, we have a 900meter(14yards short of 1000) range operated on electronic targets.</div></div>

Hey mate, whats the go with Geelong rifle club, can you shoot there using the target system without having to shoot in comps, just for fun and practise? Or is it strictly used for comp shooting only?

Cheers Pete

I used to have a really good pen friend in the Queensland area. But alas, he passed away a few years back. It will happen to all of us eventually, but I did enjoy his sense of humor. The Aussie dry wit was a great addition to my black gallows type humor. We shared lotsa great laughs. I guess that is what I get for having worked with criminals for so many years.

Have fun down there. I'm near Portland, Oregon in the Pacific Northwest. Only about a half hours drive from Leupold, and 8 hours or so to Nightforce. I'm mostly doing rifle now. Used to do lots of 3 gun matches, but focus on rifle nowdays.

Another Aussie registering. Good to see there's quite a few other local guys on here.

I'm from S/E Melb also, and have mostly been going to Little River to get my fix, but it is a hike.

I'm just getting in to long range rifle stuff after almost 10 years shooting pistols (gave it away a couple of years ago for lack of time).

If you guys do set up a tac shoot somewhere, cound me in!

Another Melbourne boy here, don't post on here much though. There seems to be enough guys on here that have probably forgotten more than I know that with a bit of a search, I can usually find the answer to most questions that I have.

I would be keen on a bit of a tac shoot if it comes up. Most of my shooting to date has been hunting, but just picked up a decent .22, so might have to start heading to Little River.

Have any of you other Melb guys been to the range at Springvale? Any thoughts? I'm in Greensborough, so is a bit closer if I just want to shoot rimfire.

Andrew

Guys, sorry for the late reply.. forgot about this thread until now lol

there is a pricing system in place where if you shoot in the comp it's one price, if you shoot separate from the group it's another price. while generally we limit visitors to 25/100/300 meters shoots can be arranged for visitors on request at other ranges.

Geelong is primarily a VRA Target/F-Class club but we do accommodate other disciplines (with a caliber restriction of 7.62mm MAX)

sighting in rifle at 25/100 meters is $25 (base fee for visitors)
then using your own rifle on electronic targets is $10 per 12 shots per range (unless other arrangements are made prior the day)

just a note: our range operates within NRAA SSR's and a range officer will be present and must be obeyed.

Howdy, new here, from Sydney.

Just thought id come say howdy.

I shoot a Remington SPS-Tac in 223, Bipod, 4-12x40 scope, Mag extender (9 shots all up i think).

Only really done short range shooting so far, would be keen to get longer range shooting but not many places close to me where i can do it.

Hi everyone i am from sydney and just discovered this thread. it seems you melbourne boys are spoilt for long range ranges compared to us sydney residents and everywhere seems to have calibre restrictions to boot! if a tactical shooting weekend is arranged please let me know and i will do everything i can to get there. Cheers.

Used to work for the Rohm and Haas company that had a plant in Geelong, so got down that way and to Melbourne and Sydney also. If I ever make it down that way again I will look you up SD669. Geelong sounds like a good range/club at 900 meters with electronic targets as well. Cheers.

Hi Sleeman,

I have been to Springvale a couple of times and it is a really good range. The people there are awesome. Too bad it is only rimfire though.

I am going to be making the trip to little river on a weekend coming up. Hopefully the cold and wet keep all the herds of time wasters away?

Hey All!

Looks like we have a few Victorians here which is pleasing.
I've heard of a rifle range in Lang Lang (Near Warragul, south-east of melbourne). For those of you on the eastern suburbs it might be worth checking out. They mainly do Target and F-Class, however, I talked to the operator and he seemed pretty alright as long as we paid up and behaved.

Springvale is Great! When i only want to shoot .22's of course :\
Otherwise, it's waiting until i holiday in mildura (which has a great 600m range, and i go visit the grandparents up there often), or hike to Little River, some 2.5h away.
It'd be great to get a few of us down to the Little River range, however, it's almost always packed, and last time i headed down there i got a bit fed up with people having a dig at my 'expensive' rifle and every second bloke telling me i should've bought a Leupold.

Would be good to maybe find someone with property near melbourne and do our shoot on private land?

Little River is a 500 meter range, they run pistol / shotgun also on other adjacent ranges. That's my 'local' range but we don't shoot there much... Full of time wasters!

A post from everyone keen on a tac meet shoot, lads? We need to sum up some numbers.

I've got me + probably 2 or 3 others with a couple interstate that would come.

I'm in Darwin and shoot F-Class at a target rifle club. I have tried to promote a AIHPA type shoot at our club along with a "Deer Hunt" type shoot with Kongsberg electronic target skins but our committee is too set in their ways saying 'other clubs cater for hunting type shoots' and 'leave military shooting to the military'.

So I'm hanging out for 'tactical' type shoots also. I am prepared to travel. I don't mind if it is conducted on private land, it'd be good to shoot high angle if we can find it.

Will be participating in the Precision Shooting Australia Practical Rifle program - check it out:
Precision Shooting | Australia rifle training and Australian long range shooting

Also AIHPA:
Australian International High Power Association

Hi,
I will be participating in Gunslinger Team Challenge:
COF
in New Zealand at the end of May and am looking for locals (AUSTRALIA South East Queensland / North East NSW) to shoot and train up with some abstract shooting. I would prefer they are also coming along to Gunslinger. But if the person/s are into the practical scene and wants to bounce idea's off of / criticise technique / build ideas / challenge, then that works for me too.
I will also be going along to this:
COF
Silhouette Sniper in New Caledonia in October.
Please PM me and I'll be in touch.
Greg