• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Precision Rifle Gear Help me decide

climbing1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2023
NW Florida
Context:

Been shooting .308, which I absolutely love, but hardish to track and have tried various MB's and Suppressor for PRS. Got behind a 6CM for the first time and a warm fuzzy feeling washed over me as though I were back behind a .22, enjoying the uninterrupted view of impact as a gaggle of geese flew by.
giphy-2.gif

After a bit of research, the GT seemed to make the most sense due to barrel life and I reload, however, sometimes it's nice to buy a hundred rounds and not worry about it (I have young kids, time is a constraint sometimes). Sooo

1. 6CM or the Gay Tigre?
2. Have an opportunity to purchase a lightly used 6CM Bergara Premier Competition. 200 < rounds. No problems/function, this style was just not for them.

It's chambered in 6CM and from my perspective a massive bang for the buck, considering the premier action, MPA and TT. The only thing I don't like about it (other than a few ppl's views on Bergara, never owned one and can't say) and the fact that I love Tikka, is the bolt throw. However, at 1900, maybe I actually love 90 degree throw now.

I want to upgrade, but I don't want to spend more than 2400 on the rifle, all in. So do I build a GT for that budget (if I even can) or does the benefit of everything you get with Bergara at that price make it a no brainer in 6CM?

Looking hard at Zeiss LRP S3 6-36. Any users out there?

Thoughts on Tract Toric UHD stuff? Big price difference between the two, but curious. I heard there was some relation to Nikon back in the day. Did they take over their tech or tooling?

Thanks!

My understanding with the 6CM in a PRS context is that it is too fast and hard on barrels when loaded properly and too inconsistent when downloaded.

The Zeiss is a great scope and known quantity/player in the industry. Tract has done their marketing on social media and has decent reviews. I would recommend supporting the companies that support the shooting sports. I’ve no idea if Tract is doing that or not.

But as it applies to everything in this hobby, buy once cry once.

Reactions: climbing1
My understanding with the 6CM in a PRS context is that it is too fast and hard on barrels when loaded properly and too inconsistent when downloaded.

The Zeiss is a great scope and known quantity/player in the industry. Tract has done their marketing on social media and has decent reviews. I would recommend supporting the companies that support the shooting sports. I’ve no idea if Tract is doing that or not.

But as it applies to everything in this hobby, buy once cry once.

Thanks for the quick reply...

There's a few dudes I know shooting 6CM at PRS, but I suppose like most things, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right idea.

If I'm remembering right from an episode on miles to matches, 2800 ish is about where they like to be. Is there not any good nodes in this range for 6CM?

If I'm remembering right from an episode on miles to matches, 2800 ish is about where they like to be. Is there not any good nodes in this range for 6CM?
The top shooters like that speed for low recoil and the ability to spot their trace. Are these an issue for you? Only you can decide. Do some google fu to track down threads about reloading the 6CM, it’s there for the picking.

If you’re just getting into the sport and factory ammo is going to help you get more trigger time in, that could be more important. Or if you’re a contender and need every advantage available. You just need to pick your priorities and the perfect answer for you will present itself.

The top shooters like that speed for low recoil and the ability to spot their trace. Are these an issue for you? Only you can decide. Do some google fu to track down threads about reloading the 6CM, it’s there for the picking.

If you’re just getting into the sport and factory ammo is going to help you get more trigger time in, that could be more important. Or if you’re a contender and need every advantage available. You just need to pick your priorities and the perfect answer for you will present itself.
Thanks, super helpful. Been searching those loads since you hit me back. I'd rather the GT, but if I can shoot slower with the CM and not lose meaningful accuracy and still have fun, It seems like I can procure a pretty nice setup for the price and rebarrel to GT after it's shot out. Any perspective on the Bergara piece? I do love the chassis and the trigger.

But you're right, buy once cry once I've found to be true that I've learned the hard way through optics and otherwise. That said, I'm still held to a budget for now.

Fuck a Bergara.

Origin ($900) + Proof prefit ($550) + TT Diamond ($240) = $1690

Dudes are selling all kinds of great chassis/stocks in the PX every other day for ~$700 for an ACC or MPA to Manners' and Foundations for a few hundo more...

Don't settle, put together something you'll enjoy for years. YOLO!

Fuck a Bergara.

Origin ($900) + Proof prefit ($550) + TT Diamond ($240) = $1690

Dudes are selling all kinds of great chassis/stocks in the PX every other day for ~$700 for an ACC or MPA to Manners' and Foundations for a few hundo more...

Don't settle, put together something you'll enjoy for years. YOLO!

Why Eff Bergara? This is what I'm running into. It's love or hate it seems. I just want to understand why. Is it a Christianson type of situation or bad CS? The way I've been reading these is Bergara/Tikka are like Chevy vs Ford. I'm biased but pretty freaking hard to beat the Tikka for a factory action.

I've got a Manners and love it, but I'd like to give a chassis a go. I've really liked the ones I've shot. You know, strap as much crap on there as possible, haha.

Why Eff Bergara? This is what I'm running into. It's love or hate it seems. I just want to understand why. Is it a Christianson type of situation or bad CS? The way I've been reading these is Bergara/Tikka are like Chevy vs Ford. I'm biased but pretty freaking hard to beat the Tikka for a factory action.

I've got a Manners and love it, but I'd like to give a chassis a go. I've really liked the ones I've shot. You know, strap as much crap on there as possible, haha.

I just think that you'd be throwing your money away on a Bergara. Most guys who are looking at that price-point would rather buy new than save a couple/few hundred and after it's seen some use it'll be worth half or less if you're lucky by the time you're sick of it.

You can afford something better for near the same money that won't be next to worthless after you've put some mileage on it.

If you can swing $2400, then you can get an Origin + Proof + TT Diamond + KRG Bravo (or something used from the SH PX) which will be way better than any Bergara IMO.

Nothing wrong with the 6CM for matches. The barrel burner rep came from when people were shooting it at almost 3200fps in matches back when it came out. Run it at 2900fps and barrel life is higher. And you can do it easily with the slower powders. I run VV N160 and get 110 ATips at 2900fps and very reliable and accurate.

The Zeiss S3 is an excellent choice. I have two of the 6-36 and a 4-25 and been using them for about a year and a half in matches. Love the scope. Also have a Tract 4-25 and like it a lot too. It has an excellent reticle and the glass is good. If you can only afford it then you won’t be much behind. I run one on my 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle.

And for the rifle definitely put one together versus a factory. Actually AP is running a sale on their Solus rifles now with the code Savesolus and it’s $1065 for the rifle below. Great deal.

Nothing wrong with the 6CM for matches. The barrel burner rep came from when people were shooting it at almost 3200fps in matches back when it came out. Run it at 2900fps and barrel life is higher. And you can do it easily with the slower powders. I run VV N160 and get 110 ATips at 2900fps and very reliable and accurate.

The Zeiss S3 is an excellent choice. I have two of the 6-36 and a 4-25 and been using them for about a year and a half in matches. Love the scope. Also have a Tract 4-25 and like it a lot too. It has an excellent reticle and the glass is good. If you can only afford it then you won’t be much behind. I run one on my 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle.

And for the rifle definitely put one together versus a factory. Actually AP is running a sale on their Solus rifles now with the code Savesolus and it’s $1065 for the rifle below. Great deal.

Good to know. I may go the 6CM route given the ammo options and until I can free up more time to reload. My buddy just picked up a Solus in 6.5 that I got to shoot. It does have the 60 bolt, but the lift was noticeably stiff with factory ammo. Like over pressure stiff. I wouldn't want that for PRS. Maybe it's just new and needs to break in? I didn't love it. Are Solus/AP barrels/actions known to be accurate and reliable, or are they too new? What about their CS? Coupon has expired.

Last edited:
Good to know. I may go the 6CM route given the ammo options and until I can free up more time to reload. My buddy just picked up a Solus in 6.5 that I got to shoot. It does have the 60 bolt, but the lift was noticeably stiff with factory ammo. Like over pressure stiff. I wouldn't want that for PRS. Maybe it's just new and needs to break in? I didn't love it. Are Solus/AP barrels/actions known to be accurate and reliable, or are they too new? What about their CS?
That’s probably from crappy factory ammo (all factory ammo is crap.) and it probably is over pressure, especially if it’s hornady.
I would absolutely get the solus creed that’s on labor day sale. Cheaper than that bergara and then you don’t have to admit that you own a bergara.

I prefer my origin builds as has been mentioned but they aren’t ever as cheap as the solus sale.

Edit: wait, did they already take the complete rifle “savesolus” coupon down?

That’s probably from crappy factory ammo (all factory ammo is crap.) and it probably is over pressure, especially if it’s hornady.
I would absolutely get the solus creed that’s on labor day sale. Cheaper than that bergara and then you don’t have to admit that you own a bergara.

I prefer my origin builds as has been mentioned but they aren’t ever as cheap as the solus sale.

Edit: wait, did they already take the complete rifle “savesolus” coupon down?
Yessir, believe so. I had it in my cart yesterday but waited to purchase. Tried a few combos of removing from cart and adding a different rifle but no joy.

Yessir, believe so. I had it in my cart yesterday but waited to purchase. Tried a few combos of removing from cart and adding a different rifle but no joy.
Damn. In that case this barreled action
Plus this bravo chassis
Comes out to 1062 plus tax. All you would need is a trigger and a mag which you can do for well under the 600 bucks you save over the entire rifle. You could add a nice bipod with the remainder and break even.

Good to know. I may go the 6CM route given the ammo options and until I can free up more time to reload. My buddy just picked up a Solus in 6.5 that I got to shoot. It does have the 60 bolt, but the lift was noticeably stiff with factory ammo. Like over pressure stiff. I wouldn't want that for PRS. Maybe it's just new and needs to break in? I didn't love it. Are Solus/AP barrels/actions known to be accurate and reliable, or are they too new? What about their CS? Coupon has expired.

Yup it expired but some others gave some other ideas to get the barreled action.

I'd definitely get an action that can accept shouldered prefits and the Solus can so a huge advantage over basic factory rifles.

Take a look into the .25 Creedmoor... You get better LR BC's with the Berger 133 & 135's, and more weight to retain energy and trajectory. But you still have extremely light recoil like the 6CM. I'm really enjoying the hell out of mine. I did a custom build on an Aero Solus action, with a Proof Research CF barrel (20" OAL, 7.5" twist). With minimal load development, I'm getting 2,800 FPS MV & 0.4xx" 5-shot groups. Which shoots good enough for what I need it to do.

IMG_9754.jpeg
image_cropper_82957909-02CC-4CB4-A8F4-86DB98C26A8F-485-000002A84CC08B50.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg