• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Rifle Scopes Help picking light weight scope for shorty build

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Just ordered a 18” 6.8spc barrel for my origin and now need glass for it. Will be used for East Texas hog hunting and be the gun that bounces around in the truck and SXS. We don’t have any place on the property we can hunt with shots farther than 200 yards. Below is my criteria.

Lower zoom to get bigger field of view. Something like a 2-10???? A 1-6 would be awesome but those seem to struggle when it starts to get dark.

Illuminated reticle.

Good glass to help pick out those black hogs at dusk and dawn.

Lightish weight. Don’t want a 30 oz scope on this one.

Doesn’t have to be ffp or exposed turrets and don’t care if it’s mil or moa.

Just ordered a 18” 6.8spc barrel for my origin and now need glass for it. Will be used for East Texas hog hunting and be the gun that bounces around in the truck and SXS. We don’t have any place on the property we can hunt with shots farther than 200 yards. Below is my criteria.

Lower zoom to get bigger field of view. Something like a 2-10???? A 1-6 would be awesome but those seem to struggle when it starts to get dark.

Illuminated reticle.

Good glass to help pick out those black hogs at dusk and dawn.

Lightish weight. Don’t want a 30 oz scope on this one.

Doesn’t have to be ffp or exposed turrets and don’t care if it’s mil or moa.
The new Vortex Viper HD scopes are very light and have good glass for the price.

I have a 3-15 lh hd and a 2-10 lh both are awesome. If the 2-10 had illumination I would be set.

Trying to see what alternatives there are since I don’t need 3-15 magnification or turrets that dial. If there is nothing else out there I would happily buy another one though.

I have a 3-15 lh hd and a 2-10 lh both are awesome. If the 2-10 had illumination I would be set.

Trying to see what alternatives there are since I don’t need 3-15 magnification or turrets that dial. If there is nothing else out there I would happily buy another one though.
3-15x42 HD-LHT is an excellent scope and there is a lot to be said with sticking with what you know works for you.

That having been said, I also have the Delta 1.5-9x45 mentioned above and it is very good in low light and VERY fast on target. That fiber illuminated dot really draws your eye and going down to 1.5x for the quick stuff really works nicely.

If you want the lightest possible option, I would not overlook Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 either.

ILya

Reactions: Baron85 and Fret
How is the glass quality on the accupoint? And since it is fiber optic I imagine that the illumination disappears at first and last light?

We hunt in the swampy low lands in thick forest so not much light in the mornings and night. As well as getting into night hunting with lights a bit. Just want to make sure the illumination would work well enough. I have wanted to try a trijicon.

The delta looks like a great option, I will dig more into that one later tonight.

If 200 yards is your farthest shot, and you want rugged and robust, while keeping things fairly light, an LPVO is your best friend. I regularly shoot my subsonic 220gr loads in my .300 BLK at 200-300 yards with a 1-10x28 Primary Arms SLx LPVO with the Griffin M10S MRAD reticle (it's not a BDC, it's actual MIL stadia, so your not confined to a BDC structure for specific bullet weights and calibers).

My concern with a lpvo is the low light performance. The lpvos I have used suffer severely in low light and the shadows. I run 1-6 on my 6.8 AR and love it other than low light performance.