• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing How to prep AR15 lower for refinishing?

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
There are a couple of AR lowers i would like to refinish with either Alumahyde or Cerakote. I have not decided which yet. I have no way of sandblasting any of the lowers. Does the original finish have to be taken off? or do you just use sand paper to rough it up, degrease and then finish? All inputs appreciated.

Re: How to prep AR15 lower for refinishing?

With Norrels you can degrease the lower and shoot it it will stick pretty well but not as well as if you had added a little roughing up to it with a blaster. I would think Cerakote would be about the same

I have done both sand-blasting & sanding to rough up. Both will work good.

Just make sure you do a good job roughing the surface up and use a good degreaser to remove any oil and residue. I use the brownell brand of degreaser.

But either method will work good for you.

IMHO you don't need to sandblast a AR15 lower with the factory flat black on it, just degrease it by completely stripping it, put it in the oven at 200 for 1/2 hour and give it actone baths until it is oil free, handle with gloves and paint it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO you don't need to sandblast a AR15 lower with the factory flat black on it, just degrease it by completely stripping it, put it in the oven at 200 for 1/2 hour and give it actone baths until it is oil free, handle with gloves and paint it. </div></div>

When you say "strip" it do you mean stripping or sanding off the original black finish? Or just using a degreaser on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO you don't need to sandblast a AR15 lower with the factory flat black on it, just degrease it by completely stripping it, put it in the oven at 200 for 1/2 hour and give it actone baths until it is oil free, handle with gloves and paint it. </div></div>

+1

Do not blast. The matt black anodizing is like primer. It's a very good base for any of the spray on finishes.