• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I want to buy a PDW—What takes the cake?

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
Hey guys,

For whatever reason I’ve been bit by the PDW bug. I have a 12” 5.56 LMT SBR along with several other lmt chassis that could be SBR’d but I want something a little different. Intent of use: self defense. Potential big game hunting <100yds but very unlikely in my AO. It needs to be really small with easy suppressor compatibility.

Pertinent info:
1. I have a .45 handgun (g21)
2. I don’t have a 300bo
3. I do reload but don’t plan to reload for this gun.
4. I have multiple 9mm glocks
5. An AR platform PCC is not an option.
6. Will most likely run with vfg & mrds.
7. Will probably carry in a backpack
8. Yes I understand the NFA and no that discussion has no bearing on this decision.
9. I have both .30 and .45 suppressors

Here are my options: (in order of most interest)
1. Sig MCX rattler 5.5” 300bo
2. (Tie) B&T .45
2. (Tie) LWRC Smg-45 ($3k?—fuck!)
4. Honey badger .300bo
5. Knock off mp5 in 9mm

I had a mpx pistol 3yrs ago and while fun—seems about 100% pointless knowing todays ballistic capabilities of the 556 &300.

SBR'd MP5K

300BO is gay and that Rattler is made of MIM India parts.

Or, save up for a while and buy a transferable Mac10/45 or 9 for literally 1/3 to 1/4 of what a transferable MP5 is.

Have use ever used an MP5 in combat? I bet not by your post......... it is trash now. 1970s tech is outdated. I suppose you also still have an 8 track system.

The Rattler is the best thing going for an ultra compact at the moment. It is built like a tank(MIM parts of not) and will work on an existing SBR lower of you are so inclined.

When lining up the cambers, my Rattler with a sandman-s mounted is about a half inch shorter than a 10.3in ar with a mount for he same can. That doesn’t even account for the much more compact back end that doesn’t have a buffer tube.

Have use ever used an MP5 in combat? I bet not by your post......... it is trash now. 1970s tech is outdated. I suppose you also still have an 8 track system.

You know what they say about assuming.

Only thing the MP5 family lacks is a LRBHO. Most people who don't like them have very limited experience with them and/or relate their operation directly against it not being the exact same as whatever weapons platform they generally use. It has its use; main limitation is the caliber.

You know what they say about assuming.

Only thing the MP5 family lacks is a LRBHO. Most people who don't like them have very limited experience with them and/or relate their operation directly against it not being the exact same as whatever weapons platform they generally use. It has its use; main limitation is the caliber.

I didn't assume anything. I have been issued the MP5 on several occasions. I am very familiar with it. I am also very familiar with the AK platform, but also would not want that.

And the MAC 10 thing was a joke, right?

Reactions: 1NDY
PDW means many things to many people.

A personal defense weapon is dependent on what you are defending yourself from. A little more information would help form better answers. I have 2-3 different ones as I find there is no magic bullet

3' OAL. I need to get a better dedicated light but it works for now. Super fast and fun. The subs are retarded quiet

300 BlackOut SBR.jpg

Could do a Kriss Vector in .45, or IIRC I saw that there's a 10mm version now. If you want more oomph, a 300BLK SBR would do the trick, but if overkill is your thing, you could always do a .458 SOCOM SBR.

In 9mm, there's the MPX K and the CZ Scorpion that are both great options.

I shot a B&T 9mm last week, it was interesting but nothing special.

I’ve got an 8” .300 BO with a custom ported barrel from Ballistic Advantage that works great with subs suppressed and supers unsuppressed without an adjustable gas block. It’s a very versatile rig. My other favorite in 9mm is the CZ Scorpion, the folding brace/stock makes it easier to fit in a backpack, but it loses in the hunting big game <100 yards category.

Gotta be a rifle? That short little v3 Remington is pretty sweet. Any AR caliber SBR would be fun too. At PDW distances, the caliber choice probably wont matter. If you're committed to buying ammo, the 300BO is probably your best bet, besides a shotty.

I won’t buy Sigs stuff anymore. They never have parts available nor can they even tell you when aftermarket parts will be ready to ship. They change stuff every year so the previous stuff diminishes in value and support.

They failed me with the SSG and the gen 1 MCX. I’d go LWRC.

I've been rattling around a similar build, but I had already decided on 9mm and wanting to take Glock mags. For me it's going to be an MPA 30DMG turned SBR with their side folder, and the short handguard with a 9mm can inside the handguard.

So pistol caliber carbines only offer more points of contact over a pistol. So if you can decently shoot a pistol your not getting much more benefit

I would step up to a rifle. So you are between 223 and 300. I would go 300 as they perform better per barrel inch than 223. Get a short 300 and call it good. I like the honey badger. It’s stupid light. The sig is a bit heavy but either should work. Also the noveske pdw is nice if you like ambi controls

Reactions: BridgerWSS
I don’t consider anything with a suppressor as a PDW. A PDW to me is something small, light, and short. A suppressor makes a weapon that would be small, light and short end up big, heavy, and long in contrast. A Pdw would also be something you would keep under the seat of your truck (or car for you city guys). I wouldn’t leave a suppressor in the truck or any NFA item for that matter.

Reactions: LawnMM
Get the fuckin rattler. No shit.

I have and use the rattler, with an 11.5 conversion 556 setup for cheap training.

The rattler folds, and fires a rifle round. 300 subs punch soft armor, and supers even more so. The folding changes the everything.
154B4AC7-7440-4F55-BB1C-18C9D0B9D32B.jpeg

Get the rattler with the folder and not the collapsing stock - and get a flash can to kick the blast out when in a car etc.

The rattler I have has no jams (1300 300 blk rounds and 5000 556 rounds).

I have and use the rattler, with an 11.5 conversion 556 setup for cheap training.

The rattler folds, and fires a rifle round. 300 subs punch soft armor, and supers even more so. The folding changes the everything.View attachment 7138890

Get the rattler with the folder and not the collapsing stock - and get a flash can to kick the blast out when in a car etc.

I have been wrestling back and forth between the sig and a DD Mk18. I find myself leaning toward the DD because basically I can indefinitely support it being basically an ar. I handled the Honey Badger but the stock setup seemed.....delicate.

I have been wrestling back and forth between the sig and a DD Mk18. I find myself leaning toward the DD because basically I can indefinitely support it being basically an ar. I handled the Honey Badger but the stock setup seemed.....delicate.

I have one of each. I love my DD MK18, but for a compact PDW, the Rattler wins.

Last edited:
I made my own. Tried optics and grips but it just works faster this way. About as short as you can get, maybe around 21" or so IIRC. The Ultra 5 can doesn't add much length but takes a lot of the bark out of it:

IMG_1063.JPG

Considering a 9mm Stribog one day though, I have a can already and apparently ACU tested 'em out with other PDW's and it came in the top few. It's also only $500 something so totally affordable.

Yeah, because everyone knows German is outdated and doesn't know shit about firearms or combat.

I don't own any weapon that i wouldn't carry into combat. I have 2 uppers that i DID carry into combat.

Doesn't everyone?

Reactions: silentwoods
Yeah, because everyone knows German is outdated and doesn't know shit about firearms or combat.

Doesn't everyone?

I am guessing that you don't from the level of sarcasm I detect. But I have...... and I have never been a contractor.

I don't really care if you want to carry some antiquated stuff. It is just bad from to suggest what you "like" over what is real.

As someone that has been issued an MP5, as well as other firearms, there sre better options.

There is also the entire thing about familiarity. If a person is familiar with a system, like the AR, stick with it as apposed to starting something new. New can be good, but not if new is the only reason to change.

Yeah I can see the Rattler wins on the discreet front. But what about in handling? I wouldnt mind giving up a little size for handling. I held the Rattler in the LGS and it actually reminded me of a subcompact pistol. Sure its small but Im not confident id shoot it well so I carry a midsize pistol. So for you gents that have both, Id be very interested to hear about the handling aspect of the two. Thanks in advance!

Yeah I can see the Rattler wins on the discreet front. But what about in handling? I wouldnt mind giving up a little size for handling. I held the Rattler in the LGS and it actually reminded me of a subcompact pistol. Sure its small but Im not confident id shoot it well so I carry a midsize pistol. So for you gents that have both, Id be very interested to hear about the handling aspect of the two. Thanks in advance!

Handles like a dream for me.

The rattler folds, and fires a rifle round. 300 subs punch soft armor, and supers even more so. The folding changes the everything.View attachment 7138890

Happen to know the weight of just the 11.5" 5.56 upper?

Did you only need the 11.5 inch barrel to swap it onto a rattler?? Or do you need the normal virtus gas system?