• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I'm just dropping this here for folks who like steak...

Best steak eaten out was at Emeril's in Vegas several years ago. Ribeye aged and seared perfect. It was tender and tasty. Ted Turner's in Columbus Ohio many moons ago I had a bison steak that was pretty damn good.

I can’t speak for the other states. But I’ve never heard of Marshall’s and have been here all my life. I’m sure it’s good but if you’re ever in Greenwood, MS. Luscos is my favorite steak I’ve ever had. Like on earth. Family is selling unfortunately so I’m not sure it will remain. A lot of people here rave about Doe’s which will give you a huge cut but never really been a fan.

For your viewing pleasure though. A prime 3.2lb tomahawk. Fwiw i wanted it much rarer but i haven’t quite figured out how to reverse sear a huge cut like that and remain in the rare range. On another note my cholesterol is likely through the roof
B7C0DD55-DD58-4C7F-BF82-7D26B0568D4D.jpeg

3B563775-6D33-42C1-9BD9-E1F8EC49A224.jpeg

Most "wagyu" in the USA is garbage...

Only one side of the parents have to be Wagyu and it can be sold as such... but that doesnt make it good. I wont buy Wagyu. Would rather buy prime grade at half the price. Most prime grade meat looks better than wagyu anyway. Most Wagyu you will see in a grocery store in the USA is not sub-graded like regular beef is. So you could be getting a piece of meat that would be graded select if it were not for the wagyu bloodline.

Japanese A5, thin sliced, and seared for about 2 seconds on smoking hot cast iron is fantastic.
I went to a very good restaurant in Fort Worth and splurged for the wagyu. Honestly thought the kangaroo appetizer was better.

Tonite was a cube steak sandwich with sauteed onions on a bollieuz roll with sharp swiss.

I like a marbelled ribeye or my favorite cut for the taste is skirt steak, Preferably cooked directly on mesquite coals no grate, old school about 1 1/2 minute a side. Let it rest with a little garlic butter.

I can’t speak for the other states. But I’ve never heard of Marshall’s and have been here all my life. I’m sure it’s good but if you’re ever in Greenwood, MS. Luscos is my favorite steak I’ve ever had. Like on earth. Family is selling unfortunately so I’m not sure it will remain. A lot of people here rave about Doe’s which will give you a huge cut but never really been a fan.

For your viewing pleasure though. A prime 3.2lb tomahawk. Fwiw i wanted it much rarer but i haven’t quite figured out how to reverse sear a huge cut like that and remain in the rare range. On another note my cholesterol is likely through the roof View attachment 7716427
View attachment 7716428
I just have a thermometer in the meat the whole time and don't even look at it until it hits temp on a steak when reverse searing.

Reactions: kriller134
Best steakhouse I’ve been to is mastros and Gordon Ramsey’s in Vegas is a close second. If I’m cooking at home I like snake river farms products. I like to reverse sear my steaks. Throw it on the smoker until 105-110 depending on how thick it is and sear to 130 and let it rest.

Recently my wife has been hard searing steaks then wrapping them to rest.

Occasionally one gets overdone but still tender. She has a good sense of time unless disturbed.

Works best on thicker cuts.

Best steakhouse I’ve been to is mastros and Gordon Ramsey’s in Vegas is a close second. If I’m cooking at home I like snake river farms products. I like to reverse sear my steaks. Throw it on the smoker until 105-110 depending on how thick it is and sear to 130 and let it rest.
Best steak in Vegas used to be Benny Binnions horseshoe lounge. They had their own farm out in Montana. Amazing beef. One of those old Vegas places with red leather furniture and dark corners.

Sadly it’s now a fern bar and awful…. The steaks at Ponderosa are better.

I like a nice aged, prime tomahawk as much as the next guy but just because you don’t cut the rib off, unless you’re eating he marrow, it’s just a bone in rib-eye.

I’ve grown fond of using the charcoal chimney to cook my steaks. It gets plenty hot and you need to flip about each 30 to 45 seconds and the fat gets rendered very nicely.
BF39AB33-C48D-4C92-9CF5-F433565EEEA9.jpeg
E4BF2496-BC64-4A6B-AFD1-C405DEEE2C07.jpeg

About 4 minutes of cook time does the trick for rare to medium rare.

I’ve grown fond of using the charcoal chimney to cook my steaks. It gets plenty hot and you need to flip about each 30 to 45 seconds and the fat gets rendered very nicely.View attachment 7716503View attachment 7716504

About 4 minutes of cook time does the trick for rare to medium rare.
I'm clearing out the house of my best friend, who passed away earlier this year. I literally moved one of those yesterday. He loved steak. Looks like I'll fire one up in his honor this weekend. Keep flipping for 4 minutes?

Reactions: NoDopes and adubeau
I eat a lot of grass feed beef. Because that's how I raise them. The meat has a very strong beef flavor with a hint of butter flavor. As far as the list goes, I was recently in Indianapolis for work and ate at St.Elmos and the ribeye steak I had was excellent. I would highly recommend going there if your in Indianapolis. Also, don't forget to get their famous shrimp cocktail.

Reactions: godofthunder
I'm clearing out the house of my best friend, who passed away earlier this year. I literally moved one of those yesterday. He loved steak. Looks like I'll fire one up in his honor this weekend. Keep flipping for 4 minutes?
Pretty much. I have just been eyeballing it as I go. Searing each side twice. Which is probably obvious because of the cross hatched grill marks on my photos. I haven’t made a science of it just yet.

Reactions: Redhook
I think i will do tomahawks for my birthday this year. Gotta go see a butcher or two. I like my steaks cooked over mesquite lump, sometimes with just s&p and others with more of a marinade. Depends on the cut. I can be happy with a cheap cut of beef or expensive, but can appreciate the difference

Del Frisco's in Ft Worth is tough to beat. Boi Na Braza in Grapevine was outstanding if you like the Brazilian steakhouse vibe. As already mentioned, Emeril's was excellent when I was there years ago. A hidden gem in Vegas is Michaels in the Southpoint hotel, used to be in the Barbary Coast.

Reactions: NoDopes
I no-shit had a guy pull up in front of my house while I was raking leaves, ask me if I wanted to buy some steaks. WTF?!?

He started off by asking, "Hey, you like steak, right?". Caught me off guard. I waved him away. Should I have partook? How bad could unsolicited pickup-trick steaks be? 😂

And

As a big fan of KC Cattle Co... nice to see them at No. 4 in the mail order category. Because it's hard to get Tomahawk steaks here locally!

Sirhr
Try

Huntspoint

Their farm is in Epping, NH and they BLOW AWAY Snake River. You meat is usually delivered the next day and has always been fabulous. They sell everything and if you don't see it listed, call them

Their Tomahawk reverse seared cooked to my wife's liking....I cut the bone short. I like it more rare but oh well...happy wife and all of that

Tomahawk Seared.jpg

Tomahawk Sliced.jpg

Last edited:
Most "wagyu" in the USA is garbage...

Only one side of the parents have to be Wagyu and it can be sold as such... but that doesnt make it good. I wont buy Wagyu. Would rather buy prime grade at half the price. Most prime grade meat looks better than wagyu anyway. Most Wagyu you will see in a grocery store in the USA is not sub-graded like regular beef is. So you could be getting a piece of meat that would be graded select if it were not for the wagyu bloodline.

Japanese A5, thin sliced, and seared for about 2 seconds on smoking hot cast iron is fantastic.
Absolutely correct

Always amazed at how butchers who really don't know meat use Kobe and Wagyu interchangeably. Wagyu can be sourced from 4 different breeds unlike Kobe which comes from one breed/bloodline and MUST come from Japan

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I think perfectly fed out Angus to a heavyweight and aged some will be fine.

What drove the need for boutique beef in the first place?

Seems it became popular about the same time man buns showed up.

• Haha
Reactions: adubeau
I think perfectly fed out Angus to a heavyweight and aged some will be fine.

What drove the need for boutique beef in the first place?

Seems it became popular about the same time man buns showed up.
Kobe has been around forever in Japan. The Japanese always raised and grew their own beef since they hate importing. They always have used the same methodology for raising cattle. It has little to do with producing the best taste but has more to do with an ethical approach to raising cattle. That is the way they are. I had it the first time I visited Japan in the early 80s. It was expensive then as well but not stratospheric as it is today.

I first ran into Kobe beef in the US in the mid 90s. Not sure if it was here prior to that. Although more expensive, it also wasn't as stratospheric as it is today. The reason why it is so expensive today is for the same reason fine bourbon, fine cigars, etc...supply and demand. Anything that is hyped and controlled in terms of availability is in the same boat.

Who would have ever thought a good bottle of bourbon would cost hundreds of dollars or a very fine cigar that would cost $75 or more....fucking crazy

I stick to Angus or PRIME graded meat. I buy it from Costco and dry age it myself for 30-40 days......plenty fine for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
Certified A5 Waygu is my favorite. Strip or ribeye. Raw, rare on a salt block or grilled if that’s the only option is my preference. Melts on the tongue like Toro.
View attachment 7716367View attachment 7716368
View attachment 7716370
View attachment 7716372View attachment 7716373View attachment 7716374
That shit is flavorful and way tender because.....It is all fat. You can buy a 5 pound tin bucket of cow lard for 10 bucks, and eat it with a spoon, it is so tender. Don't even have to cook it.
I eat beef muscle. Without the fat.
And Axis Deer, mostly which has almost zero fat, and not a tough steak in a freezer full.
Fight me.

That shit is flavorful and way tender because.....It is all fat. You can buy a 5 pound tin bucket of cow lard for 10 bucks, and eat it with a spoon, it is so tender. Don't even have to cook it.
I eat beef muscle. Without the fat.
And Axis Deer, mostly which has almost zero fat, and not a tough steak in a freezer full.
Fight me.
Was that beef and venison massaged daily with sake it’s whole life?
But did your shoot it with your Savage before cooking it well done?
Turkey bacon I’ll presume too.

Last edited:
Meh. I’ve been to Round the Bend in NE. It was good, but the 801 Chophouse in Omaha is much better.

I've heard 801 Chophouse is good. One of the best steaks I've had was at The Green Gateau in Lincoln, but mostly prefer to just buy quality beef and grill my own at home.

Smoke til IT of 125F or so, reverse sear on my griddle with some butter and garlic.

I eat a lot of grass feed beef. Because that's how I raise them. The meat has a very strong beef flavor with a hint of butter flavor. As far as the list goes, I was recently in Indianapolis for work and ate at St.Elmos and the ribeye steak I had was excellent. I would highly recommend going there if your in Indianapolis. Also, don't forget to get their famous shrimp cocktail.
I got some local grass fed and it was like leather. I cooked them the way I normally grill choice and these things were terrible. Is there a secret to grilling/ cooking grass fed beef?

I've heard 801 Chophouse is good. One of the best steaks I've had was at The Green Gateau in Lincoln, but mostly prefer to just buy quality beef and grill my own at home.

Smoke til IT of 125F or so, reverse sear on my griddle with some butter and garlic.
I’ve driven past the Green Gateau a thousand times and not once have I stopped in there. I’ll have to give it a try next time I’m in town.

Reactions: godofthunder
After the cow is slaughtered, skinned and non essential parts removed it should be hung in the cooler for at least two weeks. I have my butcher hang mine for a minimum of 20 days. If they short the hang time your steaks will be tough. Grass fed has nothing to do with it.
My cows are fed a 14% feed twice a day and free graze for two months before slaughter. Adds the right amount of fat and the flavor is great.
I got some local grass fed and it was like leather. I cooked them the way I normally grill choice and these things were terrible. Is there a secret to grilling/ cooking grass fed beef?

I cook mine on my big green egg.
For the 1st time, I bought a side of beef last year for $3.50 a pound, we're still eating it, but getting ready to buy another. After cooking on a komodo grill, restaurant steak is overrated.

Reactions: NoDopes