• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I'm just dropping this here for folks who like steak...

About to place an order for a 21lb bone in Wagyu whole rib roast to dry age for 45 days....
Pictures when it arrives... And, let's see... 45 days puts it in the 25th of November. And as it happens, my calendar is open. So just let me know where!

Cheers,

Sirhr!

Del Frisco's in Ft Worth is tough to beat. Boi Na Braza in Grapevine was outstanding if you like the Brazilian steakhouse vibe. As already mentioned, Emeril's was excellent when I was there years ago. A hidden gem in Vegas is Michaels in the Southpoint hotel, used to be in the Barbary Coast.
I think Eddie V’s in Fort Worth was better then Del Frisco’s.

After the cow is slaughtered, skinned and non essential parts removed it should be hung in the cooler for at least two weeks. I have my butcher hang mine for a minimum of 20 days. If they short the hang time your steaks will be tough. Grass fed has nothing to do with it.
My cows are fed a 14% feed twice a day and free graze for two months before slaughter. Adds the right amount of fat and the flavor is great.
I wholeheartedly agree on hanging a critter for at least 14 days. I’m guaranteed 18-20 days on our custom meat

Bully's East in SanDog. If you know...you know:

1633662541694.png

Was that beef and venison massaged daily with sake it’s whole life?
But did your shoot it with your Savage before cooking it well done?
Turkey bacon I’ll presume too.
Fuck a bunch of daily massage. When we raise a steer, we might feed it beer, but the meat is lean. Bacon is lean also, I prefer back bacon to belly bacon (or as the Brit's call it, "Streaky Bacon). the point of that high dollar Jap beef is to make it all fat, and sell you fat for a high price.
I shoot my deer mostly with a Contender with 14" bbl, with hand loads of fH335 and a 150 gr Ballistic Tip, 30/30. And Turkey isn't bacon.
IMG_0956.jpeg
IMG_0955.jpeg
IMG_0944.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright, there is an issue of contention in my circle. I can tolerate a little fat/gristle. This exceeds my "texture" limit. What say y'all? Trim it off or clean the plate?
It’s just the random fatty edge of a melt in your mouth ribeye cooked to perfect sir. One must ensure the entire steak is consumed and that plates are cleaned prior to undoing the top pants button and reclining. Anything else is a crime punishable by being relocated to California.

Reactions: rjacobs
It’s just the random fatty edge of a melt in your mouth ribeye cooked to perfect sir. One must ensure the entire steak is consumed and that plates are cleaned prior to undoing the top pants button and reclining. Anything else is a crime punishable by being relocated to California and forced to eat kale.
FIFY.

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
I don't get the sou vide for a steak at all. I really don't believe that more than 15 min of warming up from the fridge is necessary either. I don't want to throw a warm or even room temp steak on the grill, because when I cook steak I wait until my grill is 800+ deg (85,000 BTU 5 burners + rotisserie burner) and then put deep black grill marks on the outside for about 2 minutes per side (you don't want too many steaks on the grill, because you want to flip to an empty space), and then move it to the top rack for another 2 minutes. The outside is charred, and it is cooked evenly inside all the way to a line of cold red in the dead center. Technically this is rare, but if you do it right only a 1/8" in the middle is raw, and you have the whole range from well done on the surface to rare in the center. You just can't do it without commercial grade heat, and if you don't have enough heat you need to use an iron pan to get enough heat to put a real sear on it.

Really, warming up the meat to cook it what, 30 seconds faster? I think it would be harder to fully cook the outside and still have a rare center if it's already warm, though I admit I've never done it, because for the price of steak I know what I like and don't really care to experiment with it.

Those who boil steak think it's a pie filling.

I don't get the sou vide for a steak at all. I really don't believe that more than 15 min of warming up from the fridge is necessary either. I don't want to throw a warm or even room temp steak on the grill, because when I cook steak I wait until my grill is 800+ deg (85,000 BTU 5 burners + rotisserie burner) and then put deep black grill marks on the outside for about 2 minutes per side (you don't want too many steaks on the grill, because you want to flip to an empty space), and then move it to the top rack for another 2 minutes. The outside is charred, and it is cooked evenly inside all the way to a line of cold red in the dead center. Technically this is rare, but if you do it right only a 1/8" in the middle is raw, and you have the whole range from well done on the surface to rare in the center. You just can't do it without commercial grade heat, and if you don't have enough heat you need to use an iron pan to get enough heat to put a real sear on it.

Really, warming up the meat to cook it what, 30 seconds faster? I think it would be harder to fully cook the outside and still have a rare center if it's already warm, though I admit I've never done it, because for the price of steak I know what I like and don't really care to experiment with it.

Those who boil steak think it's a pie filling.
I was doing steaks sous vide a lot with my old webber genesis and worked great. I could get a good char and nice dark pink nearly all the way through. Replaced it with a new genesis II earlier this year. New grill sucks - does not put out the heat of the old one. What I like best about sous vide is being able to add flavors to the meat. That's mostly a feature for other meats, but can be useful for a steak. A strip or fillet coated in wassabi powder and a touch of soy to go on some jap noodles would be an example.

Pretty sure most restaurants sous vide as it ensures a perfectly cooked steak and allows them to manage serving times a lot better.....so how did that cockmeat sandwich taste?
No.

Who the hell orders their steak boiled and well done?

Rare for me. 600* grill, minute per side, let rest a few minutes and sprinkle some Alpine Touch or just plain Himalayan salt.

I do like hibachi Kobe steak. Mostly because you can watch them cook it, and tell the chef it's done 10 seconds after he drops it on the grill.

Just did a couple filets with the sous vide last night.
finished with a hot sear in cast iron.

Fig.
try it once.
i liked it. Midget Squirrel devoured her 8oz chunk and asked if I could make her 2 next time.

not the only way and good to have tools and new ideas.

In a couple weeks will be eating fresh deer and/or elk cooked over whatever wood is around in the woods.
little salt n pepper.
Bet its amazing!!! In

Just did a couple filets with the sous vide last night.
finished with a hot sear in cast iron.

Fig.
try it once.
i liked it. Midget Squirrel devoured her 8oz chunk and asked if I could make her 2 next time.

not the only way and good to have tools and new ideas.

In a couple weeks will be eating fresh deer and/or elk cooked over whatever wood is around in the woods.
little salt n pepper.
Bet its amazing!!! In
Wish I could just will a deer into my freezer. They make me work for it around here
AAAFE0D8-01D6-4924-BBFE-95F30F242614.jpeg

Reactions: powdahound76
I'm not the cook that some of you are, but very few restaurants can cook a better steak than I can. Some of them have different seasonings or marinades that are interesting. And its nice sometimes to have someone cook for you, serve it to you and clean up after you.

Some of the better steak houses that I have visited are; Smith and Wolinskies in New Orleans, Monty's Chop Shop in Tulsa, Jeff Ruby's in Nashville, Coy's in Hot Springs and Sir Loin Inn in North Little Rock. A few lesser known good ones were Colonial in Pine Bluff Arkansas and Taylors in Dumas Arkansas. Sadly, a few of these are no longer open.

Reactions: NoDopes
just my random .02 cents, the Nebraska one is way off. the Drover in Omaha is hands down the best. i've eaten a LOT of steak from everywhere, but this is still my barometer.

of course this is a purely objective opinion, but i stand firm in my opinion. that is all

I'm not the cook that some of you are, but very few restaurants can cook a better steak than I can. Some of them have different seasonings or marinades that are interesting. And its nice sometimes to have someone cook for you, serve it to you and clean up after you.

Some of the better steak houses that I have visited are; Smith and Wolinskies in New Orleans, Monty's Chop Shop in Tulsa, Jeff Ruby's in Nashville, Coy's in Hot Springs and Sir Loin Inn in North Little Rock. A few lesser known good ones were Colonial in Pine Bluff Arkansas and Taylors in Dumas Arkansas. Sadly, a few of these are no longer open.
I forgot to mention the quality of meat. My Wife often finds nice steaks at, believe it or not, Sam's Club. And the local Keoger store occasionally had nice steaks. But you have to look through what they have on display and the meat cutter will often bring some more out at her request if they are not busy. Sam's Clubs meat was actually better than a lot that we bought at a high end butcher shop.

I'm also spoiled! My Grandfather cut meat for over 50 years. He got his training at Safeway and then worked for a few small neighborhood grocery stores. He had customers that followed him if he changed jobs. My Wife would give him our meat order on Mondays and he would take all week picking the best of the best that we would pick up on Friday. I've never seen that quality of meat anyplace since! RIP Grandpa!!!

Reactions: NoDopes
I got some local grass fed and it was like leather. I cooked them the way I normally grill choice and these things were terrible. Is there a secret to grilling/ cooking grass fed beef?

Grass feed will cook faster. There’s normally less fat too. Also, taste depends on the grass they eat. I’ll let them eat natural Texas grass and then feed them out using coastal hay.

I like to cook them on a cast iron skillet with lots of butter to make up for the lack of fat in the meat. I’ll get the coals ready on the grill and put the cast iron it. Then I allow it to get hot and put the steak on. I’ll add the butter at the same time as the steak. You can add garlic and rosemary to the pan too for more flavor.

It’s obviously a matter of taste but I hate grass fed beef.
On a different note, I love the dark purple rib meat on a pork loin. 🤤

A lot of grass fed beef comes off shitty pastures. There's a farm near me that's ran by hippy wannabes that does grass fed - organic beef, lamb and chickens. Evidentially they don't believe in spraying, lime or fertilize. Grass is stuff that does well in shit soil like bluestem and broomsedge. There's as much thistle and dogfennel as grass.

Beef I ate the first half of my life grazed fescue/clover up to slaughter, but also had free choice ground corn. It was better than most grocery store beef.

Grass feed will cook faster. There’s normally less fat too. Also, taste depends on the grass they eat. I’ll let them eat natural Texas grass and then feed them out using coastal hay.

I like to cook them on a cast iron skillet with lots of butter to make up for the lack of fat in the meat. I’ll get the coals ready on the grill and put the cast iron it. Then I allow it to get hot and put the steak on. I’ll add the butter at the same time as the steak. You can add garlic and rosemary to the pan too for more flavor.
Soften some butter and mix the seasonings in with the butter. Then roll the butter into a log using waxed or butchers paper and throw it in the freezer. Cut off slices for cooking with or to serve on top of your cooked steaks. There are plenty of maiter d’ butter recipes online and variations are easy to suit your personal taste.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I just have a thermometer in the meat the whole time and don't even look at it until it hits temp on a steak when reverse searing.
So i check but I’m not convinced i can do rare throughout on a steak that large. And it’s a fine line between rare/rare+ and still raw. I’ve thought about buying that wireless meater to use. But maybe i need to start pulling at 100 and searing.

So i check but I’m not convinced i can do rare throughout on a steak that large. And it’s a fine line between rare/rare+ and still raw. I’ve thought about buying that wireless meater to use. But maybe i need to start pulling at 100 and searing.
Don't have it directly over the fire and you will be fine. The guys in SCA competition pull the steaks at 100-110 and sear it with the Grill grates for the perfect cross hatch look. Reverse searing a steak is a can't fuck up method if you have someway to monitor temps.

After the cow is slaughtered, skinned and non essential parts removed it should be hung in the cooler for at least two weeks. I have my butcher hang mine for a minimum of 20 days. If they short the hang time your steaks will be tough. Grass fed has nothing to do with it.
My cows are fed a 14% feed twice a day and free graze for two months before slaughter. Adds the right amount of fat and the flavor is great.
+1 on hanging time! The butcher I used normally hangs them 14 days, unless you request longer, mine hung 21 days. I'm gonna go for 30 on the next one!

I forgot to mention the quality of meat. My Wife often finds nice steaks at, believe it or not, Sam's Club. And the local Keoger store occasionally had nice steaks. But you have to look through what they have on display and the meat cutter will often bring some more out at her request if they are not busy. Sam's Clubs meat was actually better than a lot that we bought at a high end butcher shop.

I'm also spoiled! My Grandfather cut meat for over 50 years. He got his training at Safeway and then worked for a few small neighborhood grocery stores. He had customers that followed him if he changed jobs. My Wife would give him our meat order on Mondays and he would take all week picking the best of the best that we would pick up on Friday. I've never seen that quality of meat anyplace since! RIP Grandpa!!!
Sam's has great beef. Get to know the butcher. I know mine as I buy often and will buy a whole Ribeye Roast and cut my own steaks from them. He's done some nice cuts for me and not sure but maybe charged less sometimes. :)

Reactions: lightman