• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Is a 700 a 700?

blacklab1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2018
I ask this question on another forum and got mixed answers so I thought I’d ask here. I can get a McMillan stock with a TL3 inlet at a fair price and without the 6 month wait. Before I committed to buy I thought I’d call McMillan to see if a Solus action would fit, they said absolutely not they’re completely different. I know the ejection port is longer on the Aero and a few other small differences but I would think with a little finessing the Aero would work in the TL3 stock. I assume McMillan wants to get every ounce of accuracy from their product and that’s why they said a firm no? So with a little tweaking will the Aero fit in the TL3 stock or should I go a different direction?

Manners said the same, I have 2 Solus actions and no stocks yet, on order now 11 months.

I honestly don't know, something about the trigger hanger and rear of action inlet.
Brother, if Manners can't figure out that if the hanger hits for the solus (or any other) action, they need to notch the rear trigger block with a dremel tool and a 1/8" burr, or setup their CNC program to automatically include that notch in their 700 inlets, then they need to get with the times... There's rednecks in the middle of the woods with a 6th grade education figuring out more thought-intensive things like this in their shed. 😂

1/8" Carbide Rotary Burrs

Lol, manufacturers wanting to sell new stocks. The action will fit just fine, they might need some small filing for trigger hanger screw(mpa, foundation, and krg bravo had no issue taking a solus). There might be a less than pretty alignment of port cut to action port, but that can be fixed easy or left as is. You would want a stock with a straight bolt handle cut, no angled. And the other area that might need tweaked would be by the bolt stop, depending on how high stock comes up.

Here's a nuke 2.0 in an impact cut foundation. Ejection was just fine and it's a mechanical ejector(spring ejector would be throwing brass out a bit sooner). I liked the stock so I open up port cut to match action.
20240327_130724.jpg

Reactions: Cody S and FuhQ
right it's usually the same general dimensions to make stocks fit and it will be minor filing on your part to make it work if that's what you want to do.
I agree with 6br, get a foundation. here's mine

Attachments

• 20240913_205718.jpg
    20240913_205718.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 21
Dang Cody, that's a beautiful foundation! Op, if you find a good deal on a used stock of your choice, and it's got a straight bolt handle cut, I'd jump on it. There might be a little tweaking needed to those minor areas but nothing major.

@blacklab1 I realize you're asking about McMillan, but I'd be kind of surprised if a Solus won't fit Manners... If you post a pic of a caliper from the rear action screw to the back of the trigger hanger, I have a Manners G2 Mini Chassis and M5 Mini Chassis uninstalled, and can pull a Micro Chassis to measure

E: not going to pull the micro chassis w/out measurements, but since these are off, LRH M5 MC left, TCS G2 MC right
IMG_6212.jpeg
IMG_6211.jpeg

Micro left v. M5 MC right fwiw... if anything won't fit, it's going to be the Micro

IMG_6138.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have something to cut with and some bedding compound, pretty much any action can be made to fit any stock. The reason stock manufactures say no is that it is not drop in perfect. And while most people here may be fine with " a little dremeling to fit" most customers will not be. And the sales person there doesn't have the time to sit with you and review your handywork and see if you can make it fit in a way you are happy with. The much more common example will be the person that thinks they can, messes it up, and then demands a refund because it "didn't fit" and they ruined it trying to make it so.
So long story short, unless it is drop in perfect, they will always say no, but enough knowledge and tooling and you can make most anything fit. Most of those being as simple as a bit of dremel action here or there

@blacklab1 I realize you're asking about McMillan, but I'd be kind of surprised if a Solus won't fit Manners... If you post a pic of a caliper from the rear action screw to the back of the trigger hanger, I have a Manners G2 Mini Chassis and M5 Mini Chassis uninstalled, and can pull a Micro Chassis to measure

E: not going to pull the micro chassis w/out measurements, but since these are off, LRH M5 MC left, TCS G2 MC right
View attachment 8502662View attachment 8502663

Micro left v. M5 MC right fwiw... if anything won't fit, it's going to be the Micro

View attachment 8502664
I had access to a Manners LRH with a mini chassis and the Aero fit perfectly. I bought the McMillan and should have it on a few days. Worst case scenario I’ll hit it with a Dremel and see what happens, I can’t imagine it’ll be a problem. 🤞